DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Funny listings

sarahbell

39 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Oddly enough I nearly rented the one next door last year. It was on for £1,100 but got pulled from the market the day I was meant to view.

Nice house though. On a very main road, but good for local amenities and transport.

But assuming you had a 10% deposit, you would need to have a provable income of £80k plus to buy it. It would currently rent for about £1,600, meaning you only need to earn £48k to rent it. The landlord can always outbid a renter by leveraging up the renter's payments.

Unfortunately £400k is not a lot in mainland pricing in the SE. Have an aqantice who moved to IOW a couple of years ago. Sold her park home in Suffolk for £200k. 

I am a very "poor" boomer with shit pension provisions ( no index linked final scheme)  but could manage £400k without selling present home.

A lot of people have a lot of money ... Sorry but don't know the answer.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Unfortunately £400k is not a lot in mainland pricing in the SE. Have an aqantice who moved to IOW a couple of years ago. Sold her park home in Suffolk for £200k. 

I am a very "poor" boomer with shit pension provisions ( no index linked final scheme)  but could manage £400k without selling present home.

I am well aware of that.

It is a funny old, polarised, broken world.

That it hasn't turned to total shit already is one of life's great mysteries.

5 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Are you married?  Asking for a friend. :)

7 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Interesting. How would you manage £400k? Is that from savings from working, or property equity?

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Are you married?  Asking for a friend. :)

Tut tut. You assumed gender.

49 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Anecdotal but a lot on the Facebook groups I follow are buying cheap caravans as their rentals are being sold.

There is a movement trying to get traction to buy a plot of land where they can all park their vans.

They need to take a leaf out of our tarmac laying friends' book.

It's a logical reaction; if you earn a decent wedge then instead of it going on rent start piling it up.

I worked with one bloke who "wild camped" in an old cheap campervan for three or four years before buying a house with his girlfriend having saved the deposit money.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's a logical reaction; if you earn a decent wedge then instead of it going on rent start piling it up.

I worked with one bloke who "wild camped" in an old cheap campervan for three or four years before buying a house with his girlfriend having saved the deposit money.

I would agree if that was the reason.

These people will never get to that point. Barring a significant change they will never get out of the van life once they are there.

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Interesting. How would you manage £400k? Is that from savings from working, or property equity?

Savings both mine and wife. Remember that a lot of people have large pension pots although mine only just  over £120k.  Half million not unusual. Pension pot not included in buying this property. Also many are getting large amounts from legacy's. Unfortunately only small amount for us.

Nearly £1m can be left tax free if it from both parents from a property to siblings.

6 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Thought you were out only millionaire? 

Have you never heard of Bess of Hardwick?

However much it is it's never enough.

220px-Elizabeth_Talbot,_Countess_of_Shre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bess_of_Hardwick

It is anyway a stock humourous line from @One percent in the same way that I keep posting that picture of Jacqui Smith with police officers who would be able to arrest villains by first making them helpless with laughter.

2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I would agree if that was the reason.

These people will never get to that point. Barring a significant change they will never get out of the van life once they are there.

It's bang wrong and will eventually correct but will any of us live long enough to see it?

2 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Savings both mine and wife. Remember that a lot of people have large pension pots although mine only just  over £120k.  Half million not unusual. Pension pot not included in buying this property. Also many are getting large amounts from legacy's. Unfortunately only small amount for us.

Nearly £1m can be left tax free if it from both parents from a property to siblings.

Wow. £400k in savings is pretty impressive.

If it isn't too personal, do you have kids?

14 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Both men and women can be married you know. 9_9

Just now, Wight Flight said:

Wow. £400k in savings is pretty impressive.

If it isn't too personal, do you have kids?

Yes do you want some more! Have three, all will end up better than us.

All have been to University more than I did. And I thank all you tax payers for supporting them as there degrees weren't cheap.

4 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Yes do you want some more! Have three, all will end up better than us.

All have been to University more than I did. And I thank all you tax payers for supporting them as there degrees weren't cheap.

No thanks. Mine are quite expensive enough already, but thanks for the offer.

With a crooked smile
20 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

worked with one bloke who "wild camped" in an old cheap campervan for three or four years before buying a house with his girlfriend having saved the deposit money

The Valley has got so expensive that Google had to tell there employees they couldn't live in the car park. Gyms on site, restaurants ect. 24/7 Security. 

This is from 2013 https://www.businessinsider.com/employees-who-live-at-google-2014-9

13 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

The Valley has got so expensive that Google had to tell there employees they couldn't live in the car park. Gyms on site, restaurants ect. 24/7 Security. 

This is from 2013 https://www.businessinsider.com/employees-who-live-at-google-2014-9

Amazon encourage those with camper vans to live on the car parks dureing peak season ie Xmas and work for them

With a crooked smile

This place had been on for offers over 430k for a few months until a week ago. As it didn't sell the owners got planning permission for it to be changed from a B&B to a holiday let and increased the price to offers over 490k.

Personally I think he's on a bit of a looser. Most holiday let's are unrestricted residential properties that someone buys with a 25% deposit residential BTL mortgage (the owner just doesn't tell the mortgage company they are going to holiday let it). 

The mortgage company will see its a b&b and not give a residential btl mortgage on it so its either 50% down on a commercial or holiday let mortgage. Why would an investor do that when they could leverage up more and put 25% down on 2 properties on the same value? 

I've checked out the blokes social media. Pretty right wing - any DOSBODers want to fess up? 

Screenshot_20211014_195911_com.rightmove.android.jpg

15 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

This place had been on for offers over 430k for a few months until a week ago. As it didn't sell the owners got planning permission for it to be changed from a B&B to a holiday let and increased the price to offers over 490k.

Personally I think he's on a bit of a looser. Most holiday let's are unrestricted residential properties that someone buys with a 25% deposit residential BTL mortgage (the owner just doesn't tell the mortgage company they are going to holiday let it). 

The mortgage company will see its a b&b and not give a residential btl mortgage on it so its either 50% down on a commercial or holiday let mortgage. Why would an investor do that when they could leverage up more and put 25% down on 2 properties on the same value? 

I've checked out the blokes social media. Pretty right wing - any DOSBODers want to fess up? 

Doubt anyone on here is that stupid - a lot come from HPC.

I suspect it was £100k overpriced to begin with an £150k at least now.

After all who many people actually want a 5 bedroom terrace holiday let. Most families will go and holiday and use 1 less room so a 2 children family will use a 2 bedroom flat.

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Rental adverts suck. Instead of interior pictures, we get pictures of a bandstand, a footbridge and a department store. Brilliant. 9_9

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/115881764

One exterior shot and four picture postcards of Norwich; brilliant!

You need to edit your link; I reached the site by following the link text but simply clicking on it takes you to this page.

1 hour ago, UmBongo said:

Rental adverts suck. Instead of interior pictures, we get pictures of a bandstand, a footbridge and a department store. Brilliant. 9_9

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/115881764

must be terrible inside if they dont want to advertise it.

heres another one, might be same one but doubt it, same road;

https://www.bartonand.co.uk/our-properties/properties-to-let/property/165-grove-road-norwich

ahh sorry cant be, its 1 bedroom.

1 hour ago, leonardratso said:

must be terrible inside if they dont want to advertise it.

heres another one, might be same one but doubt it, same road;

https://www.bartonand.co.uk/our-properties/properties-to-let/property/165-grove-road-norwich

ahh sorry cant be, its 1 bedroom.

That's just around the corner. The flat you linked to is identical to the council one I rent elsewhere in the city - for less than half of what this one's up for. 

Archived