Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Recommended Posts

Anyone have any experience of decent dough mixers for bread / pasta? I generally bake once a week but I like to knock up three or four different doughs at a time and use them to bake a variety of breads. And I'm starting to feel a bit lazy so I'm interested in looking for a machine that can do the mixing and kneading for me.

Basically it needs to be able to mix bread and pasta dough - that's all really, and if it can handle that then I guess it could handle anything else I decide to try. From the limited search that I've done so far it looks like £400-500 on a KitchenAid or similar, which seems like a lot of money to save a bit of elbow grease. Used ones seem to be not much cheaper, in which case I'd buy new and have the warranty.

But knowing what a tight-fisted bunch you all are, I thought someone here might have an alternative suggestion :) 

Edited by Fully Detached
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^this. Free bread maker for dough. KitchenAid for grinding meat and sausage making, but I covet a vertical piston stuffer like this:

Why not get a bread maker and use it on the dough only setting?

Did I take a wrong turn to mumsnet? 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Anyone have any experience of decent dough mixers for bread / pasta? I generally bake once a week but I like to knock up three or four different doughs at a time and use them to bake a variety of breads. And I'm starting to feel a bit lazy so I'm interested in looking for a machine that can do the mixing and kneading for me.

Basically it needs to be able to mix bread and pasta dough - that's all really, and if it can handle that then I guess it could handle anything else I decide to try. From the limited search that I've done so far it looks like £400-500 on a KitchenAid or similar, which seems like a lot of money to save a bit of elbow grease. Used ones seem to be not much cheaper, in which case I'd buy new and have the warranty.

But knowing what a tight-fisted bunch you all are, I thought someone here might have an alternative suggestion :) 

Try 

ao.com

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NTB said:

Why not get a bread maker and use it on the dough only setting?

I've had a couple of bread makers before and never been very impressed with the performance. I also like to do larger doughs so capacity would be a bit of an issue. To be honest, I'd save myself the £30-40 and carry on doing it by hand. But point taken all the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I've had a couple of bread makers before and never been very impressed with the performance. I also like to do larger doughs so capacity would be a bit of an issue. To be honest, I'd save myself the £30-40 and carry on doing it by hand. But point taken all the same.

I've had a Panasonic for 18 years and it's been great. I've never tried but I imagine it would knead more than the standard large loaf in one go, there's certainly room as long as you don't then try to bake it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Kitchen Aid. Best bit of cooking kit i have ever bought.

Which one did you go for? There are 3 available now - I would guess the mid range "Artisan" one would be the most versatile without getting into ridiculous prices, althugh frankly the cost of that one seems insane for what it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Which one did you go for? There are 3 available now - I would guess the mid range "Artisan" one would be the most versatile without getting into ridiculous prices, althugh frankly the cost of that one seems insane for what it is.

I bought the Artisan, many moons ago now. Added a few attachments over the years, the pasta rollers and mincer are really good. Worth every penny if you are even half interested in cooking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I bought the Artisan, many moons ago now. Added a few attachments over the years, the pasta rollers and mincer are really good. Worth every penny if you are even half interested in cooking.

Pasta rollers and mincer? Fuck me, sign me up I'll take two! :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Pasta rollers and mincer? Fuck me, sign me up I'll take two! :P

The attachments are what the Kitchen Aid is all about really. They have a hole at the front that you plug bits into, mechanical connection on a gear. Juicers, milling machine, sausage maker, slicer etc, etc.

Bomb proof and if it does break they send a man around and fix it for free.

Edited by Bobthebuilder
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

The attachments are what the Kitchen Aid is all about really. They have a hole at the front that you plug bits into, mechanical connection on a gear. Juicers, milling machine, sausage maker, slicer etc, etc.

Bomb proof and if it does break they send a man around and fix it for free.

Thanks, that helps to explain the price and the variance of prices - I guess some of the ones I am looking at come with different numbers of attachments. Time to head to youtube...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fully Detached said:

Anyone have any experience of decent dough mixers for bread / pasta? I generally bake once a week but I like to knock up three or four different doughs at a time and use them to bake a variety of breads. And I'm starting to feel a bit lazy so I'm interested in looking for a machine that can do the mixing and kneading for me.

Basically it needs to be able to mix bread and pasta dough - that's all really, and if it can handle that then I guess it could handle anything else I decide to try. From the limited search that I've done so far it looks like £400-500 on a KitchenAid or similar, which seems like a lot of money to save a bit of elbow grease. Used ones seem to be not much cheaper, in which case I'd buy new and have the warranty.

But knowing what a tight-fisted bunch you all are, I thought someone here might have an alternative suggestion :) 

I've had an Ankarsrum Assistent for quite a few years and found it excellent, though I barely use it since I've moved to sourdough that's easy to stretch and fold by hand.

I looked into Kitchen Aid and from what I can see they are not what they were, they used to be made by Hobart, a commercial stand-mixer manufacturer but now they're owned by Whirlpool and living off the brand name IMO. A glance at the wattage tells you they're going to be wimpy. Also I read reports of plastic gears getting stripped.

The 1500W Ankarsrum has a belt drive and a lifetime guarantee. Only drawback is that it's not great for small amounts, it's more for the person who wants to make two or three loaves at at time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lightly Toasted said:

I've had an Ankarsrum Assistent for quite a few years and found it excellent, though I barely use it since I've moved to sourdough that's easy to stretch and fold by hand.

I looked into Kitchen Aid and from what I can see they are not what they were, they used to be made by Hobart, a commercial stand-mixer manufacturer but now they're owned by Whirlpool and living off the brand name IMO. A glance at the wattage tells you they're going to be wimpy. Also I read reports of plastic gears getting stripped.

The 1500W Ankarsrum has a belt drive and a lifetime guarantee. Only drawback is that it's not great for small amounts, it's more for the person who wants to make two or three loaves at at time.

Yes, ours is like the first covered here, same design pretty much from 50's to 80's, easily accessible screw capped brushes. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Thanks, that helps to explain the price and the variance of prices - I guess some of the ones I am looking at come with different numbers of attachments. Time to head to youtube...

They have a power take-off on the front, like a tractor. Pasta rolling attachment and mincer are the two most useful ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, eight said:

They have a power take-off on the front, like a tractor. Pasta rolling attachment and mincer are the two most useful ones.

Yep, I can see the advantage in paying a little more for someting so versatile - the question for me is whether I would get the full value out of it. Judging by the amount of them going for sale on Ebay, I'd guess quite a few people have found that they didn't. Might watch a few auctions and see what sort of prices they go for anyway, though as per earlier post based on their buy it now prices it would be better to buy new and have the warranty IMO.

Edited by Fully Detached
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...