DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Gender Roles and Lifelong Childhoods

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

"When a spry young blacksmith of West Lulworth, Dorset, married an old, ill-favoured but wealthy woman, the villagers showed their disapproval by leaving on the doorstep their wedding present of a cradle, and stuffing a bag of straw down the chimney to make the newly-weds' first hours together as uncomfortable as possible."

Maybe the rest of the village should've minded their own fuckin business, how did him shacking up with her affect them? Maybe he had a thing for older women? He would've inherited her wealth and then marry a younger woman to start a family etc

You can see the same mentality prevalent today esp during the lockdown with curtain twitchers desperate to police their neighbour's behaviour to report any perceived minor transgressions of lockdown rules.

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

With those gender roles now optional through feminism (note - this is a small minority of women) and the Look at the popularity of sci fi conventions (Red Dwarf, Start Wars / Trek) or Live Action RPG; nobody of my parent's generation or earlier would have thought that going to a convention about a fictional TV programme or dressing up as an Elf was a sensible way to spend the weekend.

Very true.

6 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I don't know what blokes see in Sci Fi conventions.

personality-grant-imahara-and-cosplayer-

And yet I just entered "Star Trek Playboy bunny outfit" into a search engine...

1 hour ago, Underwhelmed said:

Maybe the rest of the village should've minded their own fuckin business, how did him shacking up with her affect them? Maybe he had a thing for older women? He would've inherited her wealth and then marry a younger woman to start a family etc

You can see the same mentality prevalent today esp during the lockdown with curtain twitchers desperate to police their neighbour's behaviour to report any perceived minor transgressions of lockdown rules.

It's a genuine community with no comparison to today's hugely fargmented society.  People were dependent upon each other and reliant upon everyone playing their part; these days you can sit in your house all day and order up everything over the internet.  Society and community can fragment all the way down to the indiviudal.

The word "dole" comes from the common field system of doling out separate parcels of land every year from the communally-owned land.  There would be a common plough and horses used by all.  Everyone had to look after - weed, manure - their strip of land because they needed to grow crops to eat.

People, usually women, brewed beer which didn't keep so whilst the beer was there their house became a "public house" where everyone came and bought their beer that week. 

In order to have everyone pull together to make the village a success - meaning nobody starves in even a bad winter - everybody has to fit in with communal effort.  Harvest, builidng a barn etc.

By the later 19th century money, industrialisation and transportation of goods across the country had already made this cohesive community begin to dissolve but up to that point everyone was effectively working together and maintaining the same code of conduct.

Today's curtain twitchers are as much outsiders to their community as the deviants upon which they spy.  To compare folk parctices that served to keep people alive with today's stasi reporting upon #covidiots on Facebook is a nonsense.

2 hours ago, Van Lady said:

I left the bank in 1993 and females wearing trousers wasn’t allowed then. Previous offices were the same. No trousers for females.

Same. I left the Building Society in 1997 and we couldn’t wear trousers either. 

Just now, Battenberg said:

Same. I left the Building Society in 1997 and we couldn’t wear trousers either. 

Also. I can remember walking a mile or so to school in cold weather wearing a skirt whereas home time it was being wrapped up to keep warm in trousers for playing out. xD

I haven’t worn anything but trousers or leggings for about 15 years now. Just find them overall more comfortable and practical. I even wear trousers at a wedding, event etc....just fancier ones.

On 15/07/2020 at 13:00, Frank Hovis said:

Look at the popularity of sci fi conventions (Red Dwarf, Start Wars / Trek) or Live Action RPG; nobody of my parent's generation or earlier would have thought that going to a convention about a fictional TV programme or dressing up as an Elf was a sensible way to spend the weekend.

These are just the modern day replacement for the model train shows that used to be much more popular in the past. There’s nothin new about men indulging in “childish” activities.

3 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

These are just the modern day replacement for the model train shows that used to be much more popular in the past. There’s nothin new about men indulging in “childish” activities.

Fair point but what about the womenchilds who are doing it?

6 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

It's called a "hobby" and has an unlimited budget. I know I have hobbies. Although I have never been to a Star Trek Convention in Welsh @The Masked Tulip

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's called a "hobby" and has an unlimited budget. I know I have hobbies. Although I have never been to a Star Trek Convention in Welsh @The Masked Tulip

Hobbies are the alleviation of boredom in order to stay sane and/or sober and are an indicator of intelligence and under utilisation of productive time.

Edited by Chewing Grass
2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Hobbies are the alleviation of boredom in order to stay sane and/or sober and are an indicator of intelligence and under utilisation of productive time.

Good job I have some. Some people just live for work.