DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Very Basic Maths Question

just as an aside....a 15.73 metre length of single pitch roof at circa 22 degrees angle is a helluva long piece of roof AND at quite a low angle...

ie too much snow on it in winter and it might be in danger of collapse? just a thought whilst I pace up and down the room worrying about the future of human life xD

Unless..... AHA it is 1.573 meters long.......to assume makes an ass and of u and mainly ME!!!

Edited by 5min OCD speculator
34 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Gradient and angle are two different results. When one refers to a pitch is that the gradient ( as in road signs) or the angle?  Probably angle..gradients are %:S

This discussion made me Google what the percentages on the signs mean in degrees. Looks like the angle = inverse sine of gradient on the sign

56 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

I get 22.9 degrees

Arcsin (610/1570)

As a check, sin 30 degrees is 0.5, so that angle is definitely smaller than 30

That sounds spot on. I thought 38 was wrong. My tiles go down to 22.5 degrees and we’ve been having issues with the original roofer as to whether the tiles weren’t actually suitable to use.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

cool, I like the side window! Not so sure about that thing on the wall :P

Arghh the cat bed. It was in permanent use a few months back but they can’t be bothered with it now.

Edited by Battenberg

SOH CAH TOA

Tangent = O/A = 610/1450 = 0.42 … invert tan with arcrtan function (change number to degrees) = 22.81 degrees

C = A/H = 1450/1570 = 0.92 … invert S = 22.5 deg

S = 610/1570 = 0.388 = 22.86 deg

Differences due to errors in length measurement.

1 hour ago, Battenberg said:

I’m sorry. I’m being really thick but I’m trying to calculate the pitch of my roof.

I have the following and make the answer 38 degrees but I’m not convinced I’m correct.

Could someone please check it for me. 

02923B12-5727-4C1E-B20B-B9BDD588BBFA.jpeg

X = 22.863 degrees

https://www.calculator.net/triangle-calculator.html?vc=&vx=1570&vy=610&va=&vz=1450&vb=&angleunits=d&x=88&y=24

It's not quite a right angled triangle so you have to use the sine rule rather than SOHCAHTOA/arcsin to solve it.