Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

  • 0

Hornets nest


nirvana

Question

nirvana

big fuckers have taken up residence in the middle of the lawn, underground

I blocked up 2 holes but they have made other exits

And I squirted some bleach down for some fun but they are still buzzing around

I watch a vid where a guy squirted some washing up liquid and a hosepipe and got stung to shit

I'm not normally that bothered but I've had 9 of em in the house and I hear they go around murdering bees so I'll do em for the bees :D

Any ideas? Tar

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Gloommonger

A large paper cup of petrol placed over the nest entry hole. A long piece of string dipped in lighter fluid or parrafin (petrol too risky). Light the fuse from a distance and watch them burn!

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
nirvana

Above sounds good, thing is there's about 5 entry holes, and 2 of the fuckers are trying to dig out the bark I put in one of them...

I've just been for a butchers....and a fight

Scorecard

Dead hornets 5, chased around the garden 2

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
nirvana

Update: one of them is inspecting the casualties AND a REALLY BIG FUCKER has just appeared! I was gonna pounce on it then I chickened cos a sting from that is gonna hurt......

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
nirvana

OK went in with a napalm attack, got the big bastard and a few others....panicked a bit cos my matches kept going out as I was throwing them! :S

The ants were already scavenging 2 of the dead gits from earlier.....nature is quite fascinating really

Will reinspect tomorrow and see if the war is still ongoing

Edited by 5min OCD speculator
  • Lol 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
spunko

I think we need a picture, because Spunko's Theory of Hornets states that 96.3% of supposed hornet sightings are in fact wasps. A hornet is fucking ginormous. I have seen only one, and (read this in a Kenneth Williams voice) it was in my bedroom, partly red, and about 5 inches long. 

Ooh matron.

(Like this)

Edited by spunko
  • Agree 2
  • Lol 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Shamone
12 minutes ago, spunko said:

I think we need a picture, because Spunko's Theory of Hornets states that 96.3% of supposed hornet sightings are in fact wasps. A hornet is fucking ginormous. I have seen only one, and (read this in a Kenneth Williams voice) it was in my bedroom, partly red, and about 5 inches long. 

Ooh matron.

(Like this)

Saw one once. Fucking massive,

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
swiss_democracy_for_all
1 hour ago, spunko said:

I think we need a picture, because Spunko's Theory of Hornets states that 96.3% of supposed hornet sightings are in fact wasps. A hornet is fucking ginormous. I have seen only one, and (read this in a Kenneth Williams voice) it was in my bedroom, partly red, and about 5 inches long. 

Ooh matron.

(Like this)

No-one with half a brain can mistake wasps for hornets, they’re 2 to 3 times the size depending which species. We get quite a few here as the Rhône gorge woodland close by seems to have a lot of them. Yet to be stung, thankfully. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
nirvana

K I'm not on about those horses head Asian Hornets

A European Hornet (or Frelon in France) is a true hornet (genus Vespa)..........but it's also a wasp :S

The European hornet (Vespa crabro) is the largest eusocial wasp native to Europe

Napalm death....

 

 

IMG_20200717_075704.jpg

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
swiss_democracy_for_all
2 hours ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

K I'm not on about those horses head Asian Hornets

A European Hornet (or Frelon in France) is a true hornet (genus Vespa)..........but it's also a wasp :S

The European hornet (Vespa crabro) is the largest eusocial wasp native to Europe

Napalm death....

 

 

IMG_20200717_075704.jpg

European hornets (which is I guess what those are) aren't aggressive and are also a very useful garden pest-killer, so you shouldn't kill them unless you have to (obviously having a nest right next to your BBQ spot isn't ideal so I can understand why you might do so).

The Asian bee-munching bastards are another matter - burn them all (but you're more likely to get stung)

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
nirvana
3 hours ago, Gloommonger said:

How did you do it?

ok in the pic, purple circle is where I bunged up an entrance with some bark......they were working away trying to unblock it.....

the red circle is the big bastard, maybe the Queen? who had wondered out of another hole and was trying to help them (she's bout 4cm long)

I filled a lid off some expanding foam with petrol, threw it on them, they chucked some matches at them xD

Then I'd been trampling on a few of them as well.....this morning 4 of them were buzzing around still.....At dusk I'll do a check and finish off any stragglers.....

Yes I do feel like a bit of a murdering git BUT not a patch on the French gits who keep shooting Bambi...and lots of other wild animals.....

 

 

IMG_20200717_075704.jpg

Edited by 5min OCD speculator
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
The Masked Tulip

I have an app called 'Asian Hornet' which compares Asian hornets with the species found in the UK and Europe.

I watched a video once of a bloke pouring liquid metal down a hornet's nest.

That's as far as my contribution goes. Have you considered moving?

This guy got it wrong.

 

  • Lol 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
The Masked Tulip

From the internet:

The queen stays in the hive, she doesn't come out, she stays in there and does nothing buy lay eggs. Those eggs hatch into grubs, and eventually grow into adult hornets. As long as the queen is in there laying eggs, that nest is always going to be a problem. You have to kill her as well. Once that is done, the hive can't exist any more. Bees, wasps and hornets don't come out at night because they can't see in the dark. You can use that to your advantage. Get a soap dispenser meant for garden hoses. Put washing up liquid in it. At night when the hornets are in the hive, place the nozzle of the hose as far down in the hive entrance as you can get it. Turn on the hose, not full blast, but fairly strong stream. The water will pick up the soap and flood the hive with soapy water. The hornets will drown and the soapy water will also kill the eggs and larvae. The queen will drown too. You need the soap because the soap breaks down the waxy coating the hornets have on their body that keeps water out of their exoskeleton and spiracles. Insects don't breathe through their face like mammals and reptiles do. They have a series of holes in their abdomen called spiracles. The waxy coating on their bodies makes any water they encounter bead up and roll off like car wax does for cars. But, if you break down that coating, water will get sucked into their spiracles and they drown. The water is also cold and hornets don't like to be cold, they get stiff and can't move. So that, with all the water and soap will help wipe out the hive.

  • Informative 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Chewing Grass
3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

From the internet:

The queen stays in the hive, she doesn't come out, she stays in there and does nothing buy lay eggs. Those eggs hatch into grubs, and eventually grow into adult hornets. As long as the queen is in there laying eggs, that nest is always going to be a problem. You have to kill her as well. Once that is done, the hive can't exist any more. Bees, wasps and hornets don't come out at night because they can't see in the dark. You can use that to your advantage. Get a soap dispenser meant for garden hoses. Put washing up liquid in it. At night when the hornets are in the hive, place the nozzle of the hose as far down in the hive entrance as you can get it. Turn on the hose, not full blast, but fairly strong stream. The water will pick up the soap and flood the hive with soapy water. The hornets will drown and the soapy water will also kill the eggs and larvae. The queen will drown too. You need the soap because the soap breaks down the waxy coating the hornets have on their body that keeps water out of their exoskeleton and spiracles. Insects don't breathe through their face like mammals and reptiles do. They have a series of holes in their abdomen called spiracles. The waxy coating on their bodies makes any water they encounter bead up and roll off like car wax does for cars. But, if you break down that coating, water will get sucked into their spiracles and they drown. The water is also cold and hornets don't like to be cold, they get stiff and can't move. So that, with all the water and soap will help wipe out the hive.

You have just explained something my grandmother used to do in her garden to deal with insects.

She used to use water with carbolic soap in a garden sprayer, never used insecticides just sprayed any plants that needed if, generally greenfly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
The Masked Tulip
2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

You have just explained something my grandmother used to do in her garden to deal with insects.

She used to use water with carbolic soap in a garden sprayer, never used insecticides just sprayed any plants that needed if, generally greenfly.

 

Your gran was smart.

Soap is especially good at breaking down the walls of viruses as well - washing up liquid. Also biodegradable.

Yep, my grandad also used soap. Millions did I think. Might be worth going back to it.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
spunko

It seems like a good a place as any... If you've got ants coming in from outside just spray a demarcation line with Raid, they don't ever cross it. 

If only illegal immigrants were ants :CryBaby:

  • Lol 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
The Masked Tulip
4 minutes ago, spunko said:

It seems like a good a place as any... If you've got ants coming in from outside just spray a demarcation line with Raid, they don't ever cross it. 

If only illegal immigrants were ants :CryBaby:

 

 

Lemon floor cleaner works for ants. Wipe around where the ants or slugs come in. Refresh it every few days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
sleepwello'nights

Late evening last autumn a hornet flew into our house. It made a terrifyingly loud buzz and flew crazily fast round our hall up the stairs and back down. Fortunately it then flew out of the door it had entered by. I didn't see it properly as it was flying around so fast, by god it was loud.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
nirvana
13 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Have you considered moving?

No way! I live in paradise :D And now I'm a murderer and they didn't even touch me......can't sleep cos of the guilt :CryBaby:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
sleepwello'nights
3 hours ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

......can't sleep cos of the guilt :CryBaby:

Nature is as crueller than that all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
spygirl

Only place where Ive seen Hornets occassionally is the New Forest.

Hornets are very very very rare  in the UK.

IIRC they are also a protected species.

They are also not that aggressive and so big and loud you can spot them a mile off.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Long time lurking
On 16/07/2020 at 21:16, 5min OCD speculator said:

OK went in with a napalm attack, got the big bastard and a few others....panicked a bit cos my matches kept going out as I was throwing them! :S

The ants were already scavenging 2 of the dead gits from earlier.....nature is quite fascinating really

Will reinspect tomorrow and see if the war is still ongoing

Just kill the fuckers xD

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
swiss_democracy_for_all
10 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

Just kill the fuckers xD

 

I was expecting that to be a lot more spectacular.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...