DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Question

big fuckers have taken up residence in the middle of the lawn, underground

I blocked up 2 holes but they have made other exits

And I squirted some bleach down for some fun but they are still buzzing around

I watch a vid where a guy squirted some washing up liquid and a hosepipe and got stung to shit

I'm not normally that bothered but I've had 9 of em in the house and I hear they go around murdering bees so I'll do em for the bees :D

Any ideas? Tar

Posted (edited)

OK went in with a napalm attack, got the big bastard and a few others....panicked a bit cos my matches kept going out as I was throwing them! :S

The ants were already scavenging 2 of the dead gits from earlier.....nature is quite fascinating really

Will reinspect tomorrow and see if the war is still ongoing

Edited by 5min OCD speculator

I think we need a picture, because Spunko's Theory of Hornets states that 96.3% of supposed hornet sightings are in fact wasps. A hornet is fucking ginormous. I have seen only one, and (read this in a Kenneth Williams voice) it was in my bedroom, partly red, and about 5 inches long. 

Ooh matron.

(Like this)

Edited by spunko
12 minutes ago, spunko said:

I think we need a picture, because Spunko's Theory of Hornets states that 96.3% of supposed hornet sightings are in fact wasps. A hornet is fucking ginormous. I have seen only one, and (read this in a Kenneth Williams voice) it was in my bedroom, partly red, and about 5 inches long. 

Ooh matron.

(Like this)

Saw one once. Fucking massive,

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Ooh matron.

(Like this)

No-one with half a brain can mistake wasps for hornets, they’re 2 to 3 times the size depending which species. We get quite a few here as the Rhône gorge woodland close by seems to have a lot of them. Yet to be stung, thankfully. 

2 hours ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

K I'm not on about those horses head Asian Hornets

A European Hornet (or Frelon in France) is a true hornet (genus Vespa)..........but it's also a wasp :S

The European hornet (Vespa crabro) is the largest eusocial wasp native to Europe

Napalm death....

IMG_20200717_075704.jpg

European hornets (which is I guess what those are) aren't aggressive and are also a very useful garden pest-killer, so you shouldn't kill them unless you have to (obviously having a nest right next to your BBQ spot isn't ideal so I can understand why you might do so).

The Asian bee-munching bastards are another matter - burn them all (but you're more likely to get stung)

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gloommonger said:

How did you do it?

ok in the pic, purple circle is where I bunged up an entrance with some bark......they were working away trying to unblock it.....

the red circle is the big bastard, maybe the Queen? who had wondered out of another hole and was trying to help them (she's bout 4cm long)

I filled a lid off some expanding foam with petrol, threw it on them, they chucked some matches at them xD

Then I'd been trampling on a few of them as well.....this morning 4 of them were buzzing around still.....At dusk I'll do a check and finish off any stragglers.....

Yes I do feel like a bit of a murdering git BUT not a patch on the French gits who keep shooting Bambi...and lots of other wild animals.....

IMG_20200717_075704.jpg

Edited by 5min OCD speculator

From the internet:

The queen stays in the hive, she doesn't come out, she stays in there and does nothing buy lay eggs. Those eggs hatch into grubs, and eventually grow into adult hornets. As long as the queen is in there laying eggs, that nest is always going to be a problem. You have to kill her as well. Once that is done, the hive can't exist any more. Bees, wasps and hornets don't come out at night because they can't see in the dark. You can use that to your advantage. Get a soap dispenser meant for garden hoses. Put washing up liquid in it. At night when the hornets are in the hive, place the nozzle of the hose as far down in the hive entrance as you can get it. Turn on the hose, not full blast, but fairly strong stream. The water will pick up the soap and flood the hive with soapy water. The hornets will drown and the soapy water will also kill the eggs and larvae. The queen will drown too. You need the soap because the soap breaks down the waxy coating the hornets have on their body that keeps water out of their exoskeleton and spiracles. Insects don't breathe through their face like mammals and reptiles do. They have a series of holes in their abdomen called spiracles. The waxy coating on their bodies makes any water they encounter bead up and roll off like car wax does for cars. But, if you break down that coating, water will get sucked into their spiracles and they drown. The water is also cold and hornets don't like to be cold, they get stiff and can't move. So that, with all the water and soap will help wipe out the hive.

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

From the internet:

The queen stays in the hive, she doesn't come out, she stays in there and does nothing buy lay eggs. Those eggs hatch into grubs, and eventually grow into adult hornets. As long as the queen is in there laying eggs, that nest is always going to be a problem. You have to kill her as well. Once that is done, the hive can't exist any more. Bees, wasps and hornets don't come out at night because they can't see in the dark. You can use that to your advantage. Get a soap dispenser meant for garden hoses. Put washing up liquid in it. At night when the hornets are in the hive, place the nozzle of the hose as far down in the hive entrance as you can get it. Turn on the hose, not full blast, but fairly strong stream. The water will pick up the soap and flood the hive with soapy water. The hornets will drown and the soapy water will also kill the eggs and larvae. The queen will drown too. You need the soap because the soap breaks down the waxy coating the hornets have on their body that keeps water out of their exoskeleton and spiracles. Insects don't breathe through their face like mammals and reptiles do. They have a series of holes in their abdomen called spiracles. The waxy coating on their bodies makes any water they encounter bead up and roll off like car wax does for cars. But, if you break down that coating, water will get sucked into their spiracles and they drown. The water is also cold and hornets don't like to be cold, they get stiff and can't move. So that, with all the water and soap will help wipe out the hive.

You have just explained something my grandmother used to do in her garden to deal with insects.

She used to use water with carbolic soap in a garden sprayer, never used insecticides just sprayed any plants that needed if, generally greenfly.

2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

You have just explained something my grandmother used to do in her garden to deal with insects.

She used to use water with carbolic soap in a garden sprayer, never used insecticides just sprayed any plants that needed if, generally greenfly.

Your gran was smart.

Soap is especially good at breaking down the walls of viruses as well - washing up liquid. Also biodegradable.

Yep, my grandad also used soap. Millions did I think. Might be worth going back to it.

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

It seems like a good a place as any... If you've got ants coming in from outside just spray a demarcation line with Raid, they don't ever cross it. 

If only illegal immigrants were ants :CryBaby:

Lemon floor cleaner works for ants. Wipe around where the ants or slugs come in. Refresh it every few days.

Only place where Ive seen Hornets occassionally is the New Forest.

Hornets are very very very rare  in the UK.

IIRC they are also a protected species.

They are also not that aggressive and so big and loud you can spot them a mile off.

On 16/07/2020 at 21:16, 5min OCD speculator said:

OK went in with a napalm attack, got the big bastard and a few others....panicked a bit cos my matches kept going out as I was throwing them! :S

The ants were already scavenging 2 of the dead gits from earlier.....nature is quite fascinating really

Will reinspect tomorrow and see if the war is still ongoing

Just kill the fuckers xD