DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Nigger Whitewashed From History

A gravestone honouring the Dambusters' dog - whose name is a racist slur - has been replaced.

The 617 Squadron's mascot, a black Labrador, died on the day of its famous "bouncing bomb" raid on German dams in 1943. 
A memorial at the Dambusters' World War Two base, RAF Scampton, bearing the dog's name was removed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-53436447

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fucking disgusting. RAF, too. What colour were those freaks of nature that pretty much cut the head off that Lee Rigby chap? What a bunch of fucking benders this deeply sick society has become.

I think the reason that this fucks me off so much is the lack of context by the history wipers. My grandfather was a navigator on a Blenheim bomber in the Middle East in WW2. He watched his best

What we doing about this?

Posted Images

A gravestone honouring the Dambusters' dog - whose name is a racist slur the latin word for 'black'- has been replaced.

The so called could have at least picked up the virtue points for going with the young officers using latin because they were privileged hideously white men fresh out of British public schools where the language was normally learned.

Sir Edward Leigh, Conservative MP for Gainsborough, said he was "very fearful of our ability today to erase or re-write history".

Surprisingly honest for an MP, perhaps he knows which way the wind is blowing outside of media and politics.

5 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

The so called could have at least picked up the virtue points for going with the young officers using latin because they were privileged hideously white men fresh out of British public schools where the language was normally learned.

Surprisingly honest for an MP, perhaps he knows which way the wind is blowing outside of media and politics.

How about Nigeria and Niger? Maybe we should change the school maps? Benders, all.

Edited by Shamone
Added benders

Come on, it's a dog.

A dog named something that was offensive then and is offensive now. Named by some wag with views and attitudes that were popular and indicative of the times.

I wonder how they felt in the presence of Black US airmen if they ever crossed paths during the war.

Now, If it was the gravestone of Nigger McTavish, who single handedly cleared the beach at Normandy and recieved the VC, who was named after some longstanding family tradition whose roots predate the terms racial connotations then fine be outraged.

This was a guy naming his dog something that was racist then, but acceptable, and is still racist now but unacceptable.

Suck it up buttercups.:Old:

Personally I’m looking forward to the prosecution and 10 year prison sentence of the person involved with its removal..

Labour has backed a plan by the government to jail people who deface war memorials and other monuments, the shadow home secretary has said.

Under proposals being considered by the home secretary, Priti Patel, and cabinet colleagues, vandals could face a 10-year prison sentence if convicted.

12 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

This was a guy naming his dog something that was racist then, but acceptable, and is still racist now but unacceptable.

I'm not sure that's actually accurate:

Nigger was also a standard element in Senator Huey P. Long's vocabulary, though many blacks appreciated the Louisiana Democrat's notable reluctance to indulge in race baiting. Interviewing "The Kingfish" in 1935, Roy Wilkins (working as a journalist in the days before he became a leader of the NAACP) noted that Long used the terms "nigra," "colored," and "nigger" with no apparent awareness that that last word would or should be viewed as offensive.

Nigger was just another name for black people.   Racism itself was prevalent,  but negro / nigger was a fairly common term..  not necessarily used offensively so much as descriptively.

55 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

It's darkest just before dawn. The fightback is just about to begin. Problem is - it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the plan too.

Can i just remind you of the clap like seals on a Thursday. Btw, what time does strictly on ice start?  Bread (or in modern times, booze) and circuses. 

me mam used to send me for nigger brown cotton. The name of it changed though but she still insisted on using the original name.  o.O

16 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

Come on, it's a dog.

A dog named something that was offensive then and is offensive now. Named by some wag with views and attitudes that were popular and indicative of the times.

I wonder how they felt in the presence of Black US airmen if they ever crossed paths during the war.

Now, If it was the gravestone of Nigger McTavish, who single handedly cleared the beach at Normandy and recieved the VC, who was named after some longstanding family tradition whose roots predate the terms racial connotations then fine be outraged.

I don’t think it was generally viewed as offensive back then, certainly not in Britain. It was just a colour. The question is why it has it changed? 

I can think of a few others that went the same way: gay, spastic, oriental, mongoloid, paki...

20 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

Come on, it's a dog.

No, it's history. It wouldn't happen now, but it happened then. Where does it stop?

'He who controls the past...yadayadayada...'

57 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

Come on, it's a dog.

Difficult to be sure.

N- just wasn't used in the UK.  In the US it really was a negative word, and I understand how people might want (the word) to be erased from history -- but that isn't the UK.  As far as I can tell, it wasn't used in the UK until the 1960's.

That's not to say that the UK was devoid of racism -- while it was less prevalent than in the US, it definitely existed in huge amounts* -- just that N- wasn't a part of it.

All that said, I don't mind not using the word -- it is hardly a great chore, despite it being part of our linguistic background (Latin, etc) -- and if others are offended by it (and in very large numbers) I'm not going to start using it just because I'm not offended.

But I think the dog thing is a bit too much -- the dog did nothing wrong and it won't make any difference.  Then again, perhaps the dog would say 'actually, I never liked my name that much and prefer Digger anyway'.

[* wanted to say 'existed in spades', but then caught myself.  Very easy to find language working against you without your consent]

44 minutes ago, dgul said:

All that said, I don't mind not using the word -- it is hardly a great chore

I wanted to respond to you with Louis CK's funny skit about people using "the n-word", but Youtube has memoryholed it!

"Don’t hide behind it," he says. "Take responsibility. They found a way to say nigger—because when you say ’the N-word’ you put the word nigger in the person’s head. You say ’the N-word’ and I go ’Oh, she means nigger.’ That’s just white people getting away with saying nigger. Don’t hide behind the first letter like a faggot."

spacer.png