DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Defund The BBC campaign

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of you have asked lately if you could make a donation to dosbods. I appreciate the offer but , from a greater good angle I would suggest if you could instead please donate to this new campaign ca

If the BBC wants to abolish relics of Britain’s past maybe it should start with itself.

Ogling birds like Reid is all fine and good. Unfortunately they also want you to know their opinions and that's when it all goes to shit.  

Posted Images

Don't pay and used to spread the word but started to notice the more traction it gains the more 'ideas' getting put out there to merge it with utilities such as council tax or make it a civil matter.

Currently dead easy to decide not to pay. Do nothing = nothing happens (monthly letter through your door)

Not paying council tax is a whole different ball game.

Decriminalise also unsure how it would work or if a good idea. Currently need certain amount of evidence for taking action against non payers - that's what makes it so easy at the moment. Will making it a civil matter allow capita goons more freedom to make it up as they go along?

Tinfoil mode engaged: Wouldn't surprise me if all this is connected to the BBC to get the ball rolling in reshaping future funding how they want it and making the public think they played a part and it was their choice so willingly accept it.

Especially with all the media attention the TV licence funding is getting recently - keeps popping up. Had sites like TV licence resistance about for years and nothing - what's so special now?

Is it because funding is drying up under the current enforcement system that they have realised is actually unenforceable as the fear no longer works? Time will tell.

20 minutes ago, Red Debt Redemption said:

Don't pay and used to spread the word but started to notice the more traction it gains the more 'ideas' getting put out there to merge it with utilities such as council tax or make it a civil matter.

Currently dead easy to decide not to pay. Do nothing = nothing happens (monthly letter through your door)

Not paying council tax is a whole different ball game.

Decriminalise also unsure how it would work or if a good idea. Currently need certain amount of evidence for taking action against non payers - that's what makes it so easy at the moment. Will making it a civil matter allow capita goons more freedom to make it up as they go along?

Tinfoil mode engaged: Wouldn't surprise me if all this is connected to the BBC to get the ball rolling in reshaping future funding how they want it and making the public think they played a part and it was their choice so willingly accept it.

Especially with all the media attention the TV licence funding is getting recently - keeps popping up. Had sites like TV licence resistance about for years and nothing - what's so special now?

Is it because funding is drying up under the current enforcement system that they have realised is actually unenforceable as the fear no longer works? Time will tell.

Re-jigging BBC funding has been on the radar for a while, I responded to an online consultation years ago. One of the proposals floated at the time was to place a tax/surcharge on broadband bills. I think you're right though, loss of license fee income will lead to collection in other ways. The best we can hope for is that the scale, role and output of the BBC will be strongly scrutinised as part of the new "settlement".

I would rather have a TV tax than an internet tax and make no mistake if they do away with the TV tax then an internet tax will be along very shortly.

Be careful what you wish for. 

I would rather they drastically cut back the BBC to basic news and education whilst retaining only the drama that is commercially viable. Look to get the license fee down to a maximum of £50, or fund it from general taxation. Implement a maximum wage of £100k, maybe £200k and ensure the beeboids know their place. At the moment the whole thing just reeks of inner party common purpose marxism and if the Western world has learned anything these last 6 months it is just how bad marxist has been and will be for us.

32 minutes ago, Red Debt Redemption said:

'ideas' getting put out there to merge it with utilities such as council tax

Interesting speculation. Isn't the BBC World Service already funded from the Foreign Office budget, so there is already a precedent?

3 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

I would rather they drastically cut back the BBC to basic news and education whilst retaining only the drama that is commercially viable.

It doesn't work like that, and names that bring in the punters are paid like footballers. I don't like it, but that just happens

1 minute ago, Nippy said:

Interesting speculation. Isn't the BBC World Service already funded from the Foreign Office budget, so there is already a precedent?

The World Service certainly used to be funded by the FCO. It was our propaganda.

Edited by MrPin
2 minutes ago, Nippy said:

The funding model changed 2014, now it's funded from the BBC's "own" revenue.

The World Service used to be pretty good -- a more cosmopolitan version of Radio 4 -- but it's gone downhill along with the rest.

Something I only found out the other day was that these quoted salaries for presenters only include the amounts paid by the main BBC.  Anything paid by the commercial arm is not included and, because it is a private company, is not covered by Freedom of Information requests.

The Graham Norton Show and, somewhat bizarrely, Countryfile are both made by the commercial arm so all amounts paid to their presenters are not disclosed.

I heard the remarkable piece of misinformation on BBC radio last week that Ant and Dec, on £30m combined, are paid more than all BBC presenters combined.

As this excluded the amounts paid by the BBC's commercial arm this was a straight lie.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Something I only found out the other day was that these quoted salaries for presenters only include the amounts paid by the main BBC.  Anything paid by the commercial arm is not included and, because it is a private company, is not covered by Freedom of Information requests.

The Graham Norton Show and, somewhat bizarrely, Countryfile are both made by the commercial arm so all amounts paid to their presenters are not disclosed.

I heard the remarkable piece of misinformation on BBC radio last week that Ant and Dec, on £30m combined, are paid more than all BBC presenters combined.

As this excluded the amounts paid by the BBC's commercial arm this was a straight lie.

When you put it like that it really doesn't sound like they need our money after all. There's plenty of money in the entertainment industry and they can tap into as they see fit.

No need for state intervention. That is a relief.

Just now, Lightly Toasted said:

The World Service used to be pretty good -- a more cosmopolitan version of Radio 4 -- but it's gone downhill along with the rest.

There's something incongruous about tuning in to the World Service to hear the opinions being broadcast of a girl in a country where people dump in the street about period poverty, or gender inequality in the education system; education which half the boys don't qualify for because they have been conscripted or killed. It seems to happen to me every time I switch on.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think Ant and Dec do OK, for no particular reason.

Just now, MrPin said:

I think Ant and Dec do OK, for no particular reason.

Yes, they are an excellent double act. Probably the funniest since Morecambe and Wise despite not being out and out comics.

The BBC has some good presenters as well, I've noted how much I appreciate the quality of Radio Cornwall, but the salaries paid to newsreaders, Gary Linker and John McEnroe are ludicrous for what they actually do.

The viewing figures for Match of the Day and Wimbledon would be unchanged if they were both dropped; people watch those programmes for the sport and not the talking heads.

16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

salaries paid to newsreaders, Gary Linker

That is a great mystery to me. I recall when he retired, he was immediately given a job as a presenter. We are used to sport commentators talking gibberish, but he was also hesitant, um, err, talking into the wrong camera, and to me, in my opinion, he seemed very dull. How was the BBC equal opportunities scheme working then?

Edited by Nippy
49 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The viewing figures for Match of the Day and Wimbledon would be unchanged if they were both dropped; people watch those programmes for the sport and not the talking heads.

The figures for MOTD would go up by at least one of they get rid of the big eared dickhead as I would start watching it again.