DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

TESLA the US equivalent of Huawei,the CCP's slush fund

I know stocks are fickle things. TESLA shares often defy economic gravity.

Reading about Huawei, it seems to be a corp.under the auspicies of the CCP. Various things over time makes me view it as a slush fund for the CCP.

I am not saying Tesla is the same for the establishment ..who ever they are..in the US but it has crossed my mind.

I know Musk is rich. He has effortlessly set up a car company, new tech, and the space industry, with some media reports he is piggybacking US military hardware into space. Nice work if you can get it. Financed, and I stand to be corrected, off his sale of Paypal and then future investments.

Lady luck has been on his side.

Tesla has never made a profit. Without definite info I would guess some of this is due to tax structure.

That said he seems one of the favoured.

It just made me think.

Edited by The Grey Man
Spelling
3 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

I know stocks are fickle things. TESLA shares often defy economic gravity.

Reading about Huawei, it seems to be a corp.under the auspicies of the CCP. Various things over time makes me view it as a slush fund for the CCP.

I am not saying Tesla aais the same for the establishment ..who ever they are..in the US but it has crossed my mind.

I know Musk is rich. He has effortlessly set up a car company, new tech, and the space industry, with some media reports he is piggybacking US military hardware into space. Nice work if you can get it. Financed, and I stand to be corrected, off his sale of Paypal and then future investments.

Lady luck has been on his side.

Tesla has never made a profit. Without definite info I would guess some of this is due to tax structure.

That said he seems one of the favoured.

It just made me think.

My favourite conspiraloon theory is that many famous names (and companies) are fronts for the US government - Gates, Zuckerberg, Bezos, Musk....

4 minutes ago, Big Boy said:

My favourite conspiraloon theory is that many famous names (and companies) are fronts for the US government - Gates, Zuckerberg, Bezos, Musk....

The US government kept Tesla afloat for years so it's not that far flung.

Screenshot_2020-07-18 Tesla’s Elon Musk “I ran out of cash”.png

Musk made $180m from selling PayPal (then called X.com), nowhere near enough to fund Tesla even for a year.

Edited by spunko

Tesla is now worth more than all other US car manufacturers combined.

Musk aimed to make several hundred million in bonus if the share price was above X on Y date. I forget the specifics.

If you were in the same situation would you let your banking mates know that fat brown envelopes would be forthcoming if they ramped the stock for you?

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Musk made $180m from selling PayPal (then called X.com)

That is fascinating. I knew someone who made a similar amount selling a lighting company, but they are nowhere, now, rather than a world dominating super-baddy.

If the government offers you free money, then as a listed company you are duty bound to take it, really. Buy your own shares if nothing else.

Edited by Nippy
2 hours ago, Big Boy said:

Do you think Richard Branson is a real entrepreneur?!

As a person reckon he just thinks bigger than most, sees opportunities and often gets strategy right, knows how to extract money from markets and governments and has enough fuck you money of his own to take risks.

In 2001, Elon Musk conceptualized Mars Oasis, a project to land a miniature experimental greenhouse and grow plants on Mars. He announced that "This would be the furthest that life's ever traveled"[28] in an attempt to regain public interest in space exploration and increase the budget of NASA.[29][30][31] Musk tried to buy cheap rockets from Russia but returned empty-handed after failing to find rockets for an affordable price.[32][33] On the flight home, Musk realized that he could start a company that could build the affordable rockets he needed.[33] According to early Tesla and SpaceX investor Steve Jurvetson,[34] Musk calculated that the raw materials for building a rocket were only three percent of the sales price of a rocket at the time. By applying vertical integration,[32] producing around 85% of launch hardware in-house,[35][36] and the modular approach from software engineering, SpaceX could cut launch price by a factor of ten and still enjoy a 70% gross margin.[37]

Launch of Falcon 9 carrying ORBCOMM OG2-M1, July 2014

In early 2002, Musk was seeking staff for his new space company, soon to be named SpaceX. Musk approached rocket engineer Tom Mueller (later SpaceX's CTO of Propulsion). Mueller agreed to work for Musk, and thus SpaceX was born.[38] SpaceX was first headquartered in a warehouse in El Segundo, California. The company grew rapidly, from 160 employees in November 2005 to 1,100 in 2010,[39][40] 3,800 employees and contractors by October 2013,[41] nearly 5,000 by late 2015,[42][43] and about 6,000 in April 2017.[44] As of November 2017, the company had grown to nearly 7,000,[45] and was 8,000 in May 2020, where COO Gwynn Shotwell said she did not expect the company to grow much more to bring Starlink online.[4] In 2016, Musk gave a speech at the International Astronautical Congress, where he explained that the US government regulates rocket technology as an "advanced weapon technology", making it difficult to hire non-Americans.[46]

9 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Tesla is now worth more than all other US car manufacturers combined.

I read that somewhere, and I found it hard to believe. Like Stella being the best lager in the world.

19 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Branson is a spiv who got lucky, that luck bought him a pot of cash and he carried on.

He got lucky. Timed the cash x 10.

Then carried on pretending he had the money.

Afaict Branson barely has a pot to piss in, free cash wise.

Always off to me when a forum takes a look at some of the wealthiest people in the world and the conclusion is "luck". Really is ridiculous.

To even lose billions of dollars a year is too tall a task for 99.9999% of us. Why? You've got to have the extraordinary ability to hoodwink everyone to raise that cash to burn. Usually while making off with billions yourself. People believe in Musk and his vision, nothing about that is luck. I know I couldn't do it.

I might not like a lot of the mega wealthy, Branson in particular, but none of them are lucky to climb that high. 

Edited by SillyBilly

Walked past a tesla on my evening constitutional just now. Year old, every bit of plastic cladding along the bottom seemed defective. One bit missing, one bit falling off, another faded, another cracked. 

On paper, very capable, but when the volume manufacturers really get in on the act, what exactly does tesla have in its favour.

23 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Always off to me when a forum takes a look at some of the wealthiest people in the world and the conclusion is "luck". Really is ridiculous.

To even lose billions of dollars a year is too tall a task for 99.9999% of us. Why? You've got to have the extraordinary ability to hoodwink everyone to raise that cash to burn. Usually while making off with billions yourself. People believe in Musk and his vision, nothing about that is luck. I know I couldn't do it.

I might not like a lot of the mega wealthy, Branson in particular, but none of them are lucky to climb that high. 

Why not? For every musk, there will be thousands who threw everything at it, but failed, despite doing everything the same, who we never hear of. Just as there are some very lucky, some are equally unlucky.

Really don't get this deifying of folks like Musk as some kind of breed apart. They are no different to the next guy, just, for whatever reason, in the right place at the right time. 

4 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Walked past a tesla on my evening constitutional just now. Year old, every bit of plastic cladding along the bottom seemed defective. One bit missing, one bit falling off, another faded, another cracked. 

On paper, very capable, but when the volume manufacturers really get in on the act, what exactly does tesla have in its favour.

Apparently the Tesla Model 3 loses its rear bumper in standing water 😂

ANOTHER TESLA BUMPER FLIES OFF IN THE RAIN

2 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Why not? For every musk, there will be thousands who threw everything at it, but failed, despite doing everything the same, who we never hear of. Just as there are some very lucky, some are equally unlucky.

Well, thousands of losers. I wanted to a pro footballer, like millions of others, I wasn't good enough. Don't see why the analogy doesn't apply to business people as well. 

I know for a fact I couldn't do what Musk does, running a small business is extremely hard in my experience so full respect to the guy for what he does on a infinitely larger scale. To call him as "no different to the next guy" is IMO, ridiculous. He clearly is an exception to the norm.

1 hour ago, PatronizingGit said:

think i posted this before - had dinner a few years ago with a yank who's son was a tesla mechanic (i.e. worked in one of those repair shops).  They live in one of the northern states that has snow and rain a lot, and they told us that the Tesla was designed by smart idiots in california and can't handle the wet conditions - the undercarriage fills with mud and water and gets so heavy stuff cracks off unless cleaned on a regular basis.

13 hours ago, Option5 said:

Apparently the Tesla Model 3 loses its rear bumper in standing water 😂

ANOTHER TESLA BUMPER FLIES OFF IN THE RAIN

I fully expect the Model 3 to be less durable than a Ford Fiesta, suspension & steering faults at 40K miles, fit for scrap by 72K miles at the hands of average drivers.

These are built to a price and that means the bodies are cheap, probably the same end durability as a Dacia Stepway.

9 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

According to Katie he is worth £4.1Bn unless that includes the value of his 'shares'.

Nah.

Branson is fascinating, in a wierd way.

You constantly here 'Billionaire business man Branson' in the news. And Im thinking - What, you just take his word for it, you morons.

His entire setup seems to be moving a few ponds round n round between a large number of yrusts, to give the idea that they are flush.

But each time sdomehting bad happens, like covid or the earlier airline crash around 9/11 theres not a pot to piss in.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

But each time sdomehting bad happens, like covid or the earlier airline crash around 9/11 theres not a pot to piss in.

Maybe he can sell me another copy of digitally remastered "Tubular Bells"?

14 hours ago, PatronizingGit said:

I think the same. As far as I can tell, today's Tesla buyers are yesterday's Audi buyers. When one of the prestige German manufacturers produces a car with the range and performance of a Tesla, those customers will go running back.