DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Dry curing, meat charcuterie

My wife and I have been looking at this. 

There are several forms of curing I know. There was a past archived thread I note for differing methods. Smoking not viable for me. Wet curing we will give a go. It is dry curing most of interest.

Anyway I realise you need a stable environment and tight control of humidity and temperature. I had a look on the net and there are several ideas. I have a cellar. No I wouldnt randomly put meat out down there. It is however cool.

The idea is a large fridge. You have to drill through to get wires in for a small fan, dehumdifiyer and a temp/humidity gauge.

This then leads to an elctrical component that then siwtches the fridge and other electricals as needed.

As the temp is above a fridge temp and already in cool place, it limits the electricity cost.

Just wondering if anyone has done this after the last thread? I am just a bit nervous drilling into a fridge to be honest.

Edited by The Grey Man
On 19/07/2020 at 00:45, The Grey Man said:

My wife and I have been looking at this. 

There are several forms of curing I know. There was a past archived thread I note for differing methods. Smoking not viable for me. Wet curing we will give a go. It is dry curing most of interest.

Anyway I realise you need a stable environment and tight control of humidity and temperature. I had a look on the net and there are several ideas. I have a cellar. No I wouldnt randomly put meat out down there. It is however cool.

The idea is a large fridge. You have to drill through to get wires in for a small fan, dehumdifiyer and a temp/humidity gauge.

This then leads to an elctrical component that then siwtches the fridge and other electricals as needed.

As the temp is above a fridge temp and already in cool place, it limits the electricity cost.

Just wondering if anyone has done this after the last thread? I am just a bit nervous drilling into a fridge to be honest.

Mrs Toasted and I have done jerky and biltong in a fan oven: slices of beef hanging from skewers suspended on a rack, a tray to catch drips, oven door propped ajar to prevent condensation, oven thermometer to monitor temperature.

It works well as long as no one turns the oven up "just to be sure" :)

I've considered building a box with a fan and some kind of condensing mechanism, but the oven works perfectly well so laziness wins.

I used to make biltong for a guy ‘Brian’ in SA: Big long silversides of beef, ‘pickle, salt and spice about 10 of em at a time in plastic boxes for 48hours  - age them for a few weeks - hanging on hooks from chicken wire in a garage with fan on 24hrs non-stop to stop the flies laying eggs on them - moisture dripping from it for weeks - they’d shrink to 25% of size  - slice them ....and vacuum bag it in 50g bags and sell it as ‘Brian’s Biltong’ back in 1994 (as a 21 year old) just outside Johannesburg in SA.

The best ones had the fat running through them - I’ve tried Biltong in U.K. - utter shite - dry leather compared to the stuff I used to make.

Loved the stuff. Put on at least 2 stone in 3 months on a diet of Biltong and cans of Castle and Elephant beer. I remember a can of beer was 15p and the best surf and turf steak and lobster with sides in a classy restaurant in Cape Town was under £10. A waterside penthouse apartment overlooking the bay was less than £100k.  I was getting 5 rand to the £ back then.....

Mind that was 26 fucking years ago! How mad is that! 

I need to dig out the special spices and method recipe.

FB2FFDBF-A36A-4A62-B093-56082CF5FC0D.jpeg

Edited by Vendetta
3 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

I used to make biltong for a guy ‘Brian’ in SA: Big long silversides of beef, ‘pickle, salt and spice about 10 of em at a time in plastic boxes for 48hours  - age them for a few weeks - hanging on hooks from chicken wire in a garage with fan on 24hrs non-stop to stop the flies laying eggs on them - moisture dripping from it for weeks - they’d shrink to 25% of size  - slice them ....and vacuum bag it in 50g bags and sell it as ‘Brian’s Biltong’ back in 1994 (as a 21 year old) just outside Johannesburg in SA.

The best ones had the fat running through them - I’ve tried Biltong in U.K. - utter shite - dry leather compared to the stuff I used to make.

Loved the stuff. Put on at least 2 stone in 3 months on a diet of Biltong and cans of Castle and Elephant beer. I remember a can of beer was 15p and the best surf and turf steak and lobster with sides in a classy restaurant in Cape Town was under £10. A waterside penthouse apartment overlooking the bay was less than £100k.  I was getting 5 rand to the £ back then.....

Mind that was 26 fucking years ago! How mad is that! 

I need to dig out the special spices and method recipe.

FB2FFDBF-A36A-4A62-B093-56082CF5FC0D.jpeg

Please do 😊

Posted (edited)

We made some Thai Sausage during May. Cured fine for a few spells outside and then into the kitchen.

Jerky. Wife puchased what looked like keep nets to me. The strips of beef then placed inside and flies kept at bay. She also did a pork version. Out the back during the sunny spell. A day or two. Weather broke so finished in the oven. Similar to above posts.

Havent brined yet. Aim for autumn so can use the cellar to dry off after they have soaked.

The biggie though remains...dry curing.

Asked the household to keep eyes open for any commercial fridges coming to sale. Likely I suspect in coming months. Notably the glass door versions.

Would have a go then of converting a fridge for dry curing.

Edited by The Grey Man