DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

It is 3am. How prevalent is insomnia?

Is it getting more widespread, is it a conspiracy?

I don't know if in your social circles if insomnia is a problem? If you don't know, ask around, and find out, and please report back.

My wife has this problem, and once she is stuck in this cycle it can take a few weeks to get out of. Sleeping tablets have an unreliable effect.

I normally sleep like a log, and have been known to sleep through noise. My wife however, is super sensitive to sound and light. She normally wears ear plugs, but this hasn't been working lately.

---

I am not worried by coronavirus, or have any pressing worries that immediate evening.

I seem to go to sleep and get in a cycle of getting back up in 2-3 hours. This has been going on and off for a few months. We haven't moved, and it is quiet outside. It is dark so it isn't light that is the issue.

=====

It does seem more people I know these days have the same problem. Do I need to line the bed room with tin foil? :ph34r:

So, yeah ask around, is insomnia getting worse? Are more people suffering from it?

Edited by 201p

I think I've posted this before, but I came across a throw-away line in a paper a few years ago (which was about the effects of the prominent blue band in LED lights) that the natural pattern of human sleep is 4 hours of sleep, an hour of wakefulness, then four hours of sleep. However, it's more complex than that, as it seem we evolved our sleep patterns to work with a society of several dozen individuals to naturally ensure there were always a couple of people awake to keep watch. So, sleep patterns are very variable between people (and maybe one might expect some variability for one person, over time, but I've not read anything about that).

What was striking to me, was that very few people manage to set enough time aside to accommodate 9 hours of sleep/wake (plus a little extra to drop off and wake up), and also that we are (were, before CV?) all forced into an office-based cycle rather than letting our natural rhythms prevail.

The paper was pointing out the well-known fact that blue light modifies our sleep patterns, making it harder to fall asleep, and that modern lights (LED or fluorescent, rather than incandescent) are rather rich in blue light, so should be avoided in the evening. The same goes for computer/phone screens. I always use "redshift" on Linux in the evening, with a screen temperature set to 3500K. I don't know if that is a great solution, but it seems to work for me. I guess similar programs are available for other operating systems.

Is your wife's wakefulness actually a problem, or would it be OK if she could shift around the rest of the day to fit in with what she finds natural? By the way, I had some stomach problems a good few years ago, which really screwed up my sleep (amongst other things). We have an entire rat-brain-sized nervous system tied in with our guts, and I'm increasingly of the view that a key part of life is keeping that little bastard happy.  

I've little issue sleeping - unless I know I have to get up mega early for a flight or similar - and then it's brutal but thats similar for many others ? 

I'm also a double sleeper. 4-5 hrs. Read a bit of news. Then back for a wee snooze. 

I do find on my second sleep my dreams are quite scarily realistic. :ph34r:

4 hours ago, 201p said:

It is 3am. How prevalent is insomnia?

Is it getting more widespread, is it a conspiracy?

I don't know if in your social circles if insomnia is a problem? If you don't know, ask around, and find out, and please report back.

My wife has this problem, and once she is stuck in this cycle it can take a few weeks to get out of. Sleeping tablets have an unreliable effect.

I normally sleep like a log, and have been known to sleep through noise. My wife however, is super sensitive to sound and light. She normally wears ear plugs, but this hasn't been working lately.

---

I am not worried by coronavirus, or have any pressing worries that immediate evening.

I seem to go to sleep and get in a cycle of getting back up in 2-3 hours. This has been going on and off for a few months. We haven't moved, and it is quiet outside. It is dark so it isn't light that is the issue.

=====

It does seem more people I know these days have the same problem. Do I need to line the bed room with tin foil? :ph34r:

So, yeah ask around, is insomnia getting worse? Are more people suffering from it?

You say that your room is dark

People often say that because, immediately after turning the light out the room looks dark because your eyes are not yet dark adjusted.

Do you have an alarm clock radio ?

(or in fact any other small device emmitting light, such as an LD on a charger, or trailing lead ?)

The light from the radio can be very sleep disrupting. Try blacking it out with a heavy piece of material that can be moved if you need to see the time or, better still, just have a clock or watch that you have to press a button to illuminate the dial.

Edited by Hopeful

I know that it won't work for everyone and I am not a perfect sleeper, though not bad, but here are my habits:

No light sources and most definitely no illuminated clocks - as soon as you wake and see the time, if it's in the small hours, it stresses you and you start doing mental arithmetic.

If you wake in the night, unless you want a wee, just close your eyes and lie still. Even if you don't fall asleep again, though you probably will, your body will be rested.

If however you wake and your mind is racing then get up, make a cup of tea, and read for half an hour / an hour to calm yourself.

Don't go to bed before ten however tired because it is asking to be wide awake in the small hours.

Combined they work for me; it must be a year or more since my last genuinely sleepless night.

Suffered from it for years, quite badly. Every night, seeing 2,3,4 o'clock dawn etc.

Tried all the various recommendations to no avail. Diet, quit drinking etc. The only medication that made a difference (and was very good) was the stuff you can't take long term or build up a resistance to such as Zopiclone.

Quit a very stressful  job and was starting to sleep more normally within three months or so.

Slept like a child through lockdown and I have had a richer diet and more booze than usual.

The one thing that did help was a very lightly loaded joint about half an hour before bed, but even then it would only help me getting off to sleep, I'd still wake again after a few hours. A friend suggested it as I hadn't smoked any since University pretty much.

Definitely reduce your time spent in front of a computer/device.

Certainly consider stress/work as a factor. I ended up in the vicious cycle of it affecting my work performance hence higher stress hence worse sleep et cetera.

**edit to add

Missed a big one - regular excercise.

Edited by MrLibertyRedux
Addition

Take your wife to the swimming pool and make her swim a kilometer at a decent speed. Then bring her home, give her a light meal, say omelette and salad no carbs with only one small glass of wine, then cover up all light sources in the room and fuck her brains out. 

I appreciate that after a long marriage it’ll be difficult to follow this routine very often but at least she’ll sleep long and deep when you do. 

This thread strikes a few chords for sure.

I’m quite obsessive about sleep these days as I believe it to be a vital factor for promoting good health. There is a shed load of research done over the last few years which shows just how harmful sleep deprivation is.

On the other side of that coin however, I’ve always believed that the body takes the sleep it needs.

Its good to read that a few of us take sleep in 2 tranches. These days I normally wake after 6 hours which on its own, isn’t enough; if I don’t get back to sleep again then I feel tired all day. But last night for example, I went to sleep around 11 and was awake at 5. I was probably awake for an hour or so then slept again till 9 and I feel well rested.

Strangely I can sleep through any amount of unexpected noise, even a thunderstorm, but I have trouble sleeping if I think there might be a noise to disturb me. I live near a road and although it’s quiet during the night (my first sleep), there’s a chance that I might get woken by noise during the second bit, say when some cunt thinks it’s ok to lean on their horn because someone has delayed them by 200 milliseconds, or thinks having a loud exhaust makes up for his shrivelled penis and general inadequacy as a person.  

So for the second sleep I’ll use earplugs and these give me a feeling of such security from any possible noise that I sleep like a baby. Without them, it’s as if I’m just waiting for a noise and I won’t sleep as well.

Never used to be like that, 20 years ago if I looked at a house, it never would have entered my head to consider if it was near a major road or similar; now it’s  would be the first thing Id check and would be an immediate deal breaker.

Also as ccc says, the one thing guaranteed to ensure a crappy night of broken sleep is the knowledge that you have to get up early. Again, it never used to be this way. In my early 20s the alarm would wake me for work from the deepest sleep, whether I was starting early or not, it made no difference. Maybe the difference was that back then I didn’t care?

20 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

On the other side of that coin however, I’ve always believed that the body takes the sleep it needs.

Sleep patterns change as you age. Whether lark or owl teenagers seem to sleep longer than when younger.

I wonder for some whether the lock down has removed the self discipline needed to follow work patterns so the bodies natural sleep requirements are becoming uppermost.

Since the lighter days and earlier dawns arrived the last few months I've been waking earlier. I really enjoy a snooze in the late afternoon to compensate, or if not possible then after I've eaten dinner with a drink of wine or beer.

Edited by sleepwello'nights
typo

Earplugs + white noise machine here.

I have trouble sleeping if I've been on a drinking session for three days or more - but not the first sober night. Usually I drink Fri and Sat, which means Sunday night is fine but Monday night can be a struggle. 

9 hours ago, 201p said:

Untitled.thumb.gif.e78dc6c0fef80a80be9cf7850a679a0f.gif

There are 12 members online - what are you doing up? 

I will turn the computer off and try go back to bed.

SLEEP SHAMED!!!

And I am ashamed.  I was up because I had been binge watching "Married at First Sight Australia" and thought I would have a quick check-in on DOSBODS before going to bed.

No way would I admit to that if this forum wasn't anonymous.

I don't have insomnia, I am just a total moron who can't stop watching garbage once I've emotionally over-invested in it.

4 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

SLEEP SHAMED!!!

And I am ashamed.  I was up because I had been binge watching "Married at First Sight Australia" and thought I would have a quick check-in on DOSBODS before going to bed.

No way would I admit to that if this forum wasn't anonymous.

I don't have insomnia, I am just a total moron who can't stop watching garbage once I've emotionally over-invested in it.

Haha, maybe I should do more screen grabs at ungodly hours. 

Never seen the program - but you shouldn't be ashmed!

Married-at-first-sight-twins-sharon-and-michelle-0d9df93.jpg?webp=true&quality=90&resize=620,413

On 19/07/2020 at 04:11, 201p said:

I'm a lot like that.

A double sleep may be more natural and was the way things were done before the industrial age and artificial light.

Excellent little programme recently on the BBC (there, I've said it).

They have an interesting discussion about sleep. Starts at 14:45.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct0why

P.S. You can't specify a start time with the links anymore. Somehow the BBC just manage to make their iplayer stuff worse and worse. Idiots. Used to have a very useful button which took you to the last thing you were listening to and started it,  but they got rid of that for some reason. Idiots.

Edited by Syd Germs
On 19/07/2020 at 08:03, Frank Hovis said:

No light sources and most definitely no illuminated clocks - as soon as you wake and see the time, if it's in the small hours, it stresses you and you start doing mental arithmetic.

Agree with that, have the same policy. No matter what time I think it is I don't look.

As for insomnia in general, I've never been a great sleeper but never what I would call insomnia. I do think however our modern lives are chock full of things that can and do disturb our sleep.

A lack of sleep is seriously bad for your health, this is a long but really good watch. Some good general advice in there also (there is a really good bit around 50 minutes about temperature and sleep, essentially reduce core temperature for good sleep).