DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Public schools closing: bubble bursting?

My wife mentioned to me that one of the small local private primary schools is closing for good, and that one of the big secondary schools may be in financial difficulties as they have expanded enormously in recent years and now have a much reduced income.

Made me think: it makes sense as there is going to be much less money in the local UK economy going forwards, social distancing costs hits them too plus far fewer e.g. Chinese kids coming over and fewer kids being farmed out while their parents travel for work. Public schools have been a bit of a bubble in the last couple of decades, growing hugely and fees rising much faster than UK inflation. Is this another bubble about to burst?

Edited by Melchett
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife mentioned to me that one of the small local private primary schools is closing for good, and that one of the big secondary schools may be in financial difficulties as they have expanded enormo

Sandwich course?

All schools should be private in my view. I hope the one I have my son down for survives it is either that or home schooling, never going to let state indoctrination get a hold of him

36 minutes ago, Melchett said:

My wife mentioned to me that one of the small local private primary schools is closing for good, and that one of the big secondary school news may be in financial difficulties as they have expanded enormously in recent years.

Made me think: it makes sense as there is going to be much less money in the local UK economy going forwards, social distancing costs hits them too plus far fewer e.g. Chinese kids coming over and fewer kids being farmed out while their parents travel for work. Public schools have been a bit of a bubble in the last couple of decades, growing hugely and fees rising much faster than UK inflation. Is this another bubble about to burst?

One declared bankrupt last week, a quite famous one. It was on the bbc website but it seems to have been memory holed now. 

1 hour ago, Melchett said:

My wife mentioned to me that one of the small local private primary schools is closing for good, and that one of the big secondary schools may be in financial difficulties as they have expanded enormously in recent years and now have a much reduced income.

The one my younger son applied to is 8-10 times oversubscribed every year.

You would think they would vet the applications but they bring every applicant in for a day of exams and interviews. All 1,500+ of them for just 180 places, so not terribly efficient.

3 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

The one my younger son applied to is 8-10 times oversubscribed every year.

You would think they would vet the applications but they bring every applicant in for a day of exams and interviews. All 1,500+ of them for just 180 places, so not terribly efficient.

11+ presumably, has been that way, a standardised test, independent of any bias, you pass or you don't, if really good you get scholarship/bursaries.  Distinct advantage if you have been through at least one or two of the earlier years in the system as exam type question and learning somewhat different to state schools.

Just now, onlyme said:

11+ presumably, has been that way, a standardised test, independent of any bias, you pass or you don't, if really good you get scholarship/bursaries.  Distinct advantage if you have been through at least one or two of the earlier years in the system as exam type question and learning somewhat different to state schools.

Yes. Although my son was at state primary, and they said state school applicants didn’t need any additional tutoring. Just as well as I barred my wife from spunking money on tutors (caused a couple of big arguments).

Two points

1. Private school are financially selective - entrance exams are a joke

2. Premier League and the top half of the Championship will be fine. League 1 & League 2 private schools will be in real trouble next term when furlough ends and when 2nd and 3rd rate overseas students fail to return to the UK

1 minute ago, arbitrage said:

Two points

1. Private school are financially selective - entrance exams are a joke

2. Premier League and the top half of the Championship will be fine. League 1 & League 2 private schools will be in real trouble next term when furlough ends and when 2nd and 3rd rate overseas students fail to return to the UK

Other than Eton and the handful of other household names, how do you know which schools are “Premier league”?

Just now, MrPin said:

Yes, nobody would have finished their A levels.

I see a lot of British kids taking a year out, popularity of universities will fall as unemployment rises and opportunities diminish. Boris's infrastructure building will offer jobs for some (which degree does a Brickie need?)

The drop in overseas students should be the final nail in the coffin.

1 minute ago, Option5 said:

I see a lot of British kids taking a year out, popularity of universities will fall as unemployment rises and opportunities diminish. Boris's infrastructure building will offer jobs for some (which degree does a Brickie need?)

The drop in overseas students should be the final nail in the coffin.

A university degree came to be viewed as a shortcut to higher paid jobs. Now it’s a very long and expensive route to entry level jobs. That’s going to have a HUGE impact on application rates.

3 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Other than Eton and the handful of other household names, how do you know which schools are “Premier league”?

Prem: Historic famous names, e.g. Eton, Harrow, Rugby, Chelt Ladies, Winchester, etc

Champ: less prestigious, e.g. Charterhouse, Cranleigh, Sedbergh. etc

18 minutes ago, MrPin said:

A few of the less posh ones will go bust. When will a university go bust?

Most of the posh ones will go bust.

Brit parents stopped being able to afford public school fees 20 years ago.

Fel to GPs who didnt want GK taught  by 'marxists'

No even the GP cannot RIO the fees.

Andthe the bent chinks n Russians have stopped coming.

Brown ramped up teacher salaries starting in 2002. They went up about 30 on grade. However they also brought it top up - head of year, head ofn english, head of science etc etc, allowing the slary to be topped up by ~10/15k more.

Butthats the half of it.

The pensions scheme - TPS - is rapidly moving towards a 40% contribution. AFAICT thats 10% fro teacher and 30% from employer.

It used to be 0% each.

Private school teachers can join the tPS - I know its insane, I did not believe it when I read it.

My ex head (guvnoring) blanched when I said its going to be 30% a head. Now hes worried its going to be more, as the conitribution have gone up since I told him that.

Private schools are refusing to contribute to the TPS, so withdrawing, so their teachers are going into the state sector.

State schools are grossly over staffed. They could easily get rid of 30% of teachers, using digital media or a lot of teaching.

The insanity of of forcing non academic kids tore ain at school til 18 is landing. If a kids has failed after 11 years of very expensive education, what makes you think an extra 2 years will help?

Dole - what little under 25s get -is far far cheaper than 16-18 school which is ~7k/head.

Liek the free BBC license, extar education was nothing more than a make work for Browns people - public sector.

1 hour ago, Melchett said:

Tarquin and Gemima soon to be schooling with Tyson and Chardonnay? 

Half a million HK Chinese might refloat the public school bubble. 

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

The insanity of of forcing non academic kids tore ain at school til 18 is landing. If a kids has failed after 11 years of very expensive education, what makes you think an extra 2 years will help?

They don't want to do it and would rather have a job.

1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Tarquin and Gemima soon to be schooling with Tyson and Chardonnay? 

Half a million HK Chinese might refloat the public school bubble. 

Sadly they dont have the earnings outside  of HK.

Despite the house, most HK made their money from a v bent property market and mainland slush funds.

Most takeaways are now staffed by mainlanders.

11 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I went to a 'championship' school, and it has gone full on mental prob SJW and BLM in this last six months.  I predict it will cease to attract a lot of 'good' parents - no way would I send a white child there now to be made to feel guilty over racial issues.