DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Interesting snippet from Joe Rogan podcast about why breathing through your nose is so important, and more efficient that breathing through mouth.

I'm trying to consiously breath through my nose more, find it easier to breathe through mouth and I get occasional sleep apnea which I suspect is linked to all that.

Edited by JoeDavola

Breathing correctly is well worth practising. Austin Allegro has posted about Wim Hoff method and that’s interesting.

I’ve learned through meditation 

I first discovered how useful deep even breathing was for coping with severe pain in childbirth.

Throughout the day I focus on deep even breathing when walking, washing the dishes or if something is stressing me. I also like to do what’s called belly breathing.....where your stomach rises on deep breathing in. It’s so easy to shallow breath and I find I often slip into it.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/how-to-breathe-with-your-belly-89853

Edited by Van Lady
Adding link
Posted (edited)

I particularly found interesting the idea that nose breathing results in more Nitric Oxide generation than mouth breathing, and that 5 seconds in 5 seconds out i.e. 6 breaths a minute is enough breathing to be doing. Trying to pay more attention to my breathing now even though I find nose breathing slightly more difficult that mouth breathing.

Edited by JoeDavola

You should try to get hold of David Beckham's old breathing technique podcast he always listened to whenever you saw him out and about wearing headphones.

A lot of science went into it.

I think it started out with "breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out ..." for the first few hours but if you keep listening it takes you through more advanced techniques.

xD

youtube running channel I follow has done a couple of videos on this, a bit long but not if it's a topic of interest to you :)

but here's a shorter one ...

edit: WARNING!!! snowflakes may be offended by the mention of racial differences in nasal cavity development.

Edited by snaga
On 21/07/2020 at 16:02, BoSon said:

You should try to get hold of David Beckham's old breathing technique podcast he always listened to whenever you saw him out and about wearing headphones.

A lot of science went into it.

I think it started out with "breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out ..." for the first few hours but if you keep listening it takes you through more advanced techniques.

xD

Breath and walk. Breath and talk. Breath and walk.

I thought that was a sketch from a comedy show.

Joe rogan is a drug addled freak, you breath through your nose, durrr, unless your a moron mouth breather its not the great enlightenment is it, i find that as i go through my day i suck in oxygen, i do it through my nose but i have to admit i may do it through my mouth, making me a mouth breather to my shame, i guess i will have to live with it

Edited by ninjaborrower
On 20/07/2020 at 18:28, Van Lady said:

Breathing correctly is well worth practising. Austin Allegro has posted about Wim Hoff method and that’s interesting.

I’ve learned through meditation 

I first discovered how useful deep even breathing was for coping with severe pain in childbirth.

Throughout the day I focus on deep even breathing when walking, washing the dishes or if something is stressing me. I also like to do what’s called belly breathing.....where your stomach rises on deep breathing in. It’s so easy to shallow breath and I find I often slip into it.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/how-to-breathe-with-your-belly-89853

Many years ago I sat with a Buddhist psychologist who tried to teach me how to breath in a way for me to relax or be "mindful".  Honestly could never really get the hang of it.  I remember it being the belly I think actually depressing when breathing in or something that seemed completely nonsensical.

I discovered wim Hoff thanks to here earlier in the year and tried his breathing techniques a few times... Pretty powerful but really must get started again.  Partly I think if there was some class that I could go to, just to affirm I'm doing it correctly, would give me more confidence and impetus to continue.

On a side note the got started again on the cold shower thing again after hearing him shout about it.  The showet I'm not using doesn't seem to have a full cold setting (when you turn fully cold it's off). Hence I'm actually thinking about cold baths which I think would be just as good if not better than the shower anyway.  Don't think we have a drought problem in Scotland 🤔

1 hour ago, Dogtania said:

Many years ago I sat with a Buddhist psychologist who tried to teach me how to breath in a way for me to relax or be "mindful".  Honestly could never really get the hang of it.  I remember it being the belly I think actually depressing when breathing in or something that seemed completely nonsensical.

I discovered wim Hoff thanks to here earlier in the year and tried his breathing techniques a few times... Pretty powerful but really must get started again.  Partly I think if there was some class that I could go to, just to affirm I'm doing it correctly, would give me more confidence and impetus to continue.

On a side note the got started again on the cold shower thing again after hearing him shout about it.  The showet I'm not using doesn't seem to have a full cold setting (when you turn fully cold it's off). Hence I'm actually thinking about cold baths which I think would be just as good if not better than the shower anyway.  Don't think we have a drought problem in Scotland 🤔

I’m still working on breathing correctly. It’s so easy to shallow breath. I found the guided meditation courses at Samye ling Tibetan monastery a great help. Also like you mentioned it helps to know if you’ve “got it”.

You're braver than me having cold showers or baths! I can see there are benefits but I’m still reluctant. If you’re near sea or a river that would be good also. A few folk in my area I’ve heard of are regular sea swimmers.

39 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

I’m still working on breathing correctly. It’s so easy to shallow breath. I found the guided meditation courses at Samye ling Tibetan monastery a great help. Also like you mentioned it helps to know if you’ve “got it”.

You're braver than me having cold showers or baths! I can see there are benefits but I’m still reluctant. If you’re near sea or a river that would be good also. A few folk in my area I’ve heard of are regular sea swimmers.

Agree I'm sure I pretty much always shallow breath as you put it but don't or didn't really think of it.

Wild swimming in the sea etc would be awesome and probably much better but also would require even more guts I think!  I'm in central Edinburgh so not sure ideal.  At least with the cold showers I am inside and can get dry and clothed easily.

Would definitely recommend trying showers for a few days to see how you get on, doesn't need to be ice cold to start... It's the first few seconds that feel terrible but you are quickly over that and experience a nice glow after.. Even just for 30 seconds or so.

35 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

Would definitely recommend trying showers for a few days to see how you get on, doesn't need to be ice cold to start... It's the first few seconds that feel terrible but you are quickly over that and experience a nice glow after.. Even just for 30 seconds or so.

Shivers at the thought! I’m a softy xD

Anyway deep even breathing for a few minutes a few times a day is beneficial and definitely a help to focus on it when feeling stressed etc.

52 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

Agree I'm sure I pretty much always shallow breath as you put it but don't or didn't really think of it.

Wild swimming in the sea etc would be awesome and probably much better but also would require even more guts I think!  I'm in central Edinburgh so not sure ideal.  At least with the cold showers I am inside and can get dry and clothed easily.

One of my sons does the cold shower thing. He says it’s energising and he always feels much better afterwards. It started when our boiler broke and we had no hot water. He found it so good he’s carried on doing it.

As for the breathing, stupid as it’s sounds, this has been a recent revelation for me. My elderly mother has been anxious over lockdown and my brother made a comment to her about belly breathing. I didn’t understand so looked it up only to see huge benefits. I honestly think I’ve been breathing incorrectly for nearly 50 years. I’ve been suffering from rib pain and because I thought I had to expand my lungs and take deep breaths, I think I’ve been making it worse. 

I’m finding belly breathing really helpful for relaxing my chest and ribs and reducing stress. 

4 hours ago, Dogtania said:

People swim daily early morning down at the granton breakwater at Wardie. Not been myself yet but seen them while fishing. Decent numbers. 

On 11/08/2020 at 16:23, Dogtania said:

I remember it being the belly I think actually depressing when breathing in or something that seemed completely nonsensical.

most people contract the belly when breathing in, "breathe in to get those tight jeans on" they say.

that's the wrong way, if you breathe using your diaphragm, it should pull down, expanding your lungs and causing your belly to expand as all those soft organs get pushed down to make room for your lungs.

It's also another ability unique to humans, being a biped allows us to disassociate our breathing rhythm from our stride cadence when running, 4 legged animals can only take one breath per stride when running. 

Edited by snaga