Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Recommended Posts

I used to love this and buy it every month but I had assumed that it had shut down ten years' since.

I will mark its passing here.  It was the best read of the 90s.  I remember my snobby film expert mate who always bought Empire being outraged that my Q magazine also did a handful of film reviews because it was a music mag and shouldn't be trespassing upon the holy culture of film.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53477377

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I used to love this and buy it every month but I had assumed that it had shut down ten years' since.

I will mark its passing here.  It was the best read of the 90s.  I remember my snobby film expert mate who always bought Empire being outraged that my Q magazine also did a handful of film reviews because it was a music mag and shouldn't be trespassing upon the holy culture of film.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53477377

Ah shit, I still read it every month. It’s my main source for spotting upcoming bands. They were always pretty decent at the reviews, real aficionados. That’s very sad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Can one of you blokes on here explain the difference between Q magazine and GQ magazine?  

GQ was a men's fashion magazine whose articles would typically be "What overpriced silk scarf should I buy?"

Q was the adult version of Smash Hits with great writing and reviews but sprinkled with humour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I used to love this and buy it every month but I had assumed that it had shut down ten years' since.

I will mark its passing here.  It was the best read of the 90s.  I remember my snobby film expert mate who always bought Empire being outraged that my Q magazine also did a handful of film reviews because it was a music mag and shouldn't be trespassing upon the holy culture of film.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53477377

I think we might have shared a mate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shame that printed media is dying. I don't mean the rags, they can't die off quick enough, but general interest magazines such as Q. I much prefer to sit and read printed media rather than continue spending my day staring at a screen, after doing so for work. 

The irony of spending so much time on here is not lost on me either! 

I'm still mourning the end of Your Sinclair magazine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, invalid said:

GQ? I'd put my money on loaded.

The 'getting away with it' piece every week was always popular with the lads :D

EDIT - It seems Loaded passed away back in 2015. :CryBaby:

Loaded was hardly the height of male culture but it probably marks the beginning of the end of masculinity being "acceptable" in the world.

And aren't we all much happier in our new sanitised world.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

It's a shame that printed media is dying. I don't mean the rags, they can't die off quick enough, but general interest magazines such as Q. I much prefer to sit and read printed media rather than continue spending my day staring at a screen, after doing so for work. 

The irony of spending so much time on here is not lost on me either! 

I'm still mourning the end of Your Sinclair magazine. 

Your Sinclair has gone?

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, One percent said:

Can one of you blokes on here explain the difference between Q magazine and GQ magazine?  

GQ is for image-obsessed cunts who need a magazine to tell them what length wool coat they should buy this year, lest they be mocked by other GQ readers.

Q is a magazine for people who like (primarily rock) music, but also did film reviews, hifi reviews etc. I read it religiously in the 90s - it always had good interviews and I always found the reviews fair and honest - anything that got 4 or 5 stars in Q would be worth a listen, not that I could hear everything they recommended - this was back in the day when you had to pay for music.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say I've ever bought a copy, or any magazine since 2004, but I did chuckle to myself at the thought of the "November 2020" magazine being the last one... in July. Why do they do this? Is it a cynical marketing ploy or is there a genuine explanation.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, invalid said:

GQ? I'd put my money on loaded.

The 'getting away with it' piece every week was always popular with the lads :D

EDIT - It seems Loaded passed away back in 2015. :CryBaby:

I do remember these magazines I never bought, except when stuck at an airport. They were pointless, as they cover every subject. If you like cars, buy a car magazine. It's specialised. Same with Golf, or tits.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...