DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cost of liveing has it realy increased

Mooching around Aldi this morning and I noticed newcastle brown on sale for £1.39 a bottle .i was paying a quid a bottle 35 years ago granted it was in a rock club but even so.i figured food ain’t expensive nor are cars netflix is a bargain at 6 quid my monthly gas and electric bill is just over 60.ok it’s summer clothes cost fuck all f you go primark .the only expensive thing is houses or rent so why ain’t any fucker got any money  ps vapeing is very cheap compared to smokeing and far fewer smoke 

Edited by stokiescum
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The saddest part is that an average lad, that meets an average girlfriend, would be unlikely to be able to afford an average house. It arrests their life. They delay having children, leaving them

As well as housing the other thing that is insanely expensive now is building up a pension out of wages. It now costs about £40-50k to buy £1k pa worth of pension, so if you want a £10k pa private pen

And yet when the Tories left power in 1997 houses were the cheapest they had ever been. There was no need for 50%+ of houses to be council housing as they were then, we've still got way more than

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Depends how you live.

As vege Im still paying pretty much the same price for my food as 10 years ago.

However meat eaters constantly go on about how much their food is.

Well I don’t cook unless you count the microwave so I’ve no idea there .saying that I’ve just bought 6 eggs these are the first I’ve bought in maybe 4 months 

15 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Depends how you live.

As vege Im still paying pretty much the same price for my food as 10 years ago.

However meat eaters constantly go on about how much their food is.

Agree, veggies still cheap. On meat, I think it’s very cheap too overall - I can’t believe you can buy whole chickens these days for £3, even in Waitrose (actually too cheap IMO to be good). Pretty sure they cost more 10 years ago. Pork is cheap too. Beef cuts (but not mince/burgers) and lamb are expensive. Fish is pretty expensive too in the supermarkets I’d say, although I get mine from a wholesaler much cheaper for that reason.

Edited by The Idiocrat

Aldi, Lidl, Primark, B&M, Home Bargains and online generally have exposed quite how slack and greedy were the big retailers such as Tesco for decades.  Prices of food and clothing are as cheap, relative to incomes, as they will ever be.

It's a shame that there has been no equivalent model of efficiency to drive a coach and horses through the housing market.

3 minutes ago, Calcutta said:

It really hasn't apart from the cost of housing and petrol it hasn't. As for the utilities they do seem a bit higher but tbf that may just be me using them a lot more. 

Utilities have been going up steadily along with council tax and public transport fares; but as inflation has been relatively low most people can soak these up.

Housing remains the big eater of wages.

I remember 25 years ago in school a Mars bar was 35p. If I bought a multipack on offer I could probably aquire a Mars bar for about 35p today.

A video game for my Super Nintendo was probably about 30 quid back then. I can get games for 30 quid and less today.

The house I was living in at that time would have cost about £50,000 to buy. Now it would cost £200,000.

It's unfortunate that the thing that was the biggest expence of one's life is the thing that's gotten so much more expensive. Hence a lifetime of debt slavery awaits for those not on the benefits train.

Edited by JoeDavola

Mostly everything is cheaper except for houses (have to be more specific though - down South), public transport, formal university education. 

Some things which used to cost money are now free:

CDs - mp3s, or can rip from youtube

Games - lots of free emulators

Letters, texts, calls - free via whatsap etc

All of the above can be done with a phone which depending on the model can also replace a camera and a computer. 

Education is free from Internet materials but most of it is not formal I guess, can't add it to cv

Edited by Bear Hug
9 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It is, which is why I will not be relocating any time soon.

You're alright though in owning your own house; as am I.  And that means that you can move because whatever ludirous price is put upon the house you wish to buy you will find that a similar ludicrous overprice also attaches to yours.

If you looked at how much rent people need to pay to live in a similar house then you can see why so many people are skint and endebted.

5 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

What seems to have happened is that housing has absorbed all the excess cash and has become the main source of income and store of wealth for the whole country.

It's almost as if technology would have gotten us to the point where we all had to work way less.

And then the state didn't like that because there would be less tax slaves.

Gotta give them something to spend 25 years 35 years plus of crippling debt to work for.

I've never heard a politician who's message was that they would structure the economy in a way where we'd all work less and have more free time. Why is that?

Edited by JoeDavola
2 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

Education is free from Internet materials but most of it is not formal I guess, can't add it to cv

There is a fair bit of certificated online training from reputable organisations that is free to study but with an additional low charge for certification.

Here's one for starters:

https://online-learning.harvard.edu/catalog/free

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

There is a fair bit of certificated online training from reputable organisations that is free to study but with an additional low charge for certification.

Here's one for starters:

https://online-learning.harvard.edu/catalog/free

That's a potential new topic in and of itself. Best of online learning/certifications.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Rents are absolutely wicked nowdays, although back in the day, I did rent some shitholes, which wouldn't be allowed now.

Yep, and you work for the best years of your life to keep your head above water and then when you are older and pay off your mortgage you then have more money than you know what to do with at an age when you don't need much anyway.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Yep, and you work for the best years of your life to keep your head above water and then when you are older and pay off your mortgage you then have more money than you know what to do with at an age when you don't need much anyway.

It's the way it works. I think the 30s are really tight.

2 hours ago, stokiescum said:

I see what you did there lol

Yep. I curse marrying the one from the expensive south east and not the one from Stoke...

Better yet, neither of them.

32 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's the way it works. I think the 30s are really tight.

Are we talking finances or DOSBODs? Do things loosen up in the 40s?

Edited by eta-carinae