DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Are Virgin Media and the Beeb in cahoots?

Just thinking about cancelling my TV license, I never, ever watch live TV so it's not worth it. Then I remembered I've not long since switched my package with Virgin and have almost 12 months left to run. So why do I have cable TV when I never watch it? Well... I asked them to switch the TV off so I just have broadband, but they actually gave me an additional discount to keep a package that includes TV.

Why would they do that? I guess there'll be some kind of calculation that correlates number of TV subscribers with advertising revenue, so by giving me a discount and keeping me as a TV subscriber they can leverage that with advertisers, regardless of whether I'm watching or not. Actually, forget the thread, that's probably it. No conspiracy needed about trying to keep the BBC happy.

1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Just thinking about cancelling my TV license, I never, ever watch live TV so it's not worth it. Then I remembered I've not long since switched my package with Virgin and have almost 12 months left to run. So why do I have cable TV when I never watch it? Well... I asked them to switch the TV off so I just have broadband, but they actually gave me an additional discount to keep a package that includes TV.

Why would they do that? I guess there'll be some kind of calculation that correlates number of TV subscribers with advertising revenue, so by giving me a discount and keeping me as a TV subscriber they can leverage that with advertisers, regardless of whether I'm watching or not. Actually, forget the thread, that's probably it. No conspiracy needed about trying to keep the BBC happy.

It's the same for broadband and the phone line (which I never use) sometimes being cheaper than just broadband.  Doubt it's anything to do with BBC. 

5 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

It's the same for broadband and the phone line (which I never use) sometimes being cheaper than just broadband.  Doubt it's anything to do with BBC. 

Who uses a phone line these days? Biggest cash cow ever. Costs them fuck all and they charge a relative fortune for it. But who would take the leap and be without one? I've been tempted once or twice, but if I need an ambulance and the internet and mobile network is down...

8 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Who uses a phone line these days? Biggest cash cow ever. Costs them fuck all and they charge a relative fortune for it. But who would take the leap and be without one? I've been tempted once or twice, but if I need an ambulance and the internet and mobile network is down...

It's funny how not having a home phone, but just a mobile, was seen as the mark of a very dodgy character indeed in about 2010 whereas five years later I was exactly the same!

20 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

We have to have one as openreach are the only provider to my house and office at the moment.

Don't actually have a phone plugged in to it though. Just another expense that I really don't need.

33 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Just thinking about cancelling my TV license,

Cancelled mine and sent a letter to my bank to cancel the DD.

Minute the DD was cancelled I got a shitty letter saying if no DD I needed to cancel despite sending them a letter I was cancelling my license and the DD.

I Sent everything recorded delivery. :wanker:

30 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

You could send a letter.  If you made it first class there probably wouldn't be much in it.

Just now, JackieO said:

Cancelled mine and sent a letter to my bank to cancel the DD.

Minute the DD was cancelled I got a shitty letter saying if no DD I needed to cancel despite sending them a letter I was cancelling my license and the DD.

I Sent everything recorded delivery. :wanker:

I get these adverts now courtesy of all those biscuit things and the all seeing eye of google.

1173390601_Screenshotfrom2020-07-2207-39-15.png.c1924822eadd059013de66b95e7e0f4d.png

12 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Don't actually have a phone plugged in to it though. 

Neither do I but I still get billed for calls. I made sure to make a big fuss each time even though it was only a quid or so. Plus net claim it is rogue open reach engineers calling random numbers to test their line installations but I don't believe that. 

11 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Neither do I but I still get billed for calls. I made sure to make a big fuss each time even though it was only a quid or so. Plus net claim it is rogue open reach engineers calling random numbers to test their line installations but I don't believe that. 

I get billed for calls... same thing, small amounts here and there. I've always assumed it was my wife:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I have all but stopped using ours.

I used 758 minutes on Giffgaff this last month. Add to that about a million zoom calls and you'd think I didn't shut up all day.

(I assume I am actually sleep dialing people as I don't know how I could possibly use that many hours!)

Edited by sarahbell

If it's anything like Sky, it's because there's the ever-present chance you'll either upgrade to a bigger package or you'll rent a Sky Box Office ripoff boxing match for £20, or you'll rent a Sky Store film,  etc. All will make them money so they are happy to subsidise the cost. After all you've already got the equipment so for them there are no ongoing costs.

6 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

..............if I need an ambulance and the internet and mobile network is down...

Last time I moved I didn't bother with a landline and have saved considerably just using my mobile and a dongle for internet access.  Obviously I must like living dangerously:D