DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cardiacs (rock band) - odd

This is simply a personal reaction; I'm not trying to start a conspiracy.

There was a report of his death in The Sun.

SINGER DEAD

Tim Smith dead at 59 – Cardiac frontman dies years after suffering heart attack

TIM Smith, the frontman of British rock band Cardiacs, has died at the age of 59.

He suffered a heart attack years ago and had difficulty with his speech and movement.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/12191506/tim-smith-dead-cardiacs/

Their wiki entry is extensive and they were going all through the time I was interested in rock music and were at the height of their success late 80s when I was reading Melody Maker every week; they supported Marillion, played the Reading festival and were on The Tube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiacs

Yet I have never heard of them.  I feel like I'm an episode of Buffy with a "change" spell or that somebody has done a very through virtual creation of something that doesn't exist.

I'm struggling to think of a parallel.  Maybe Clarissa Dixon-Wright sheltering under an umbrella and watching a military parade in 1982.  She asked what it was for and the man next to her said "Victory parade for he Falklands" and she asked him what that was.  He moved away.  She had missed the entire thing because her partner had died and she went from being a barrister to a homeless alcoholic sleeping at Victoria station.

Had anyone heard of them prior to my posting this?

This seems to be their biggest hit.  It's a bit odd.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never heard of them but that is truly fucking awful.

I think calling your band the Cardiacs and your first album Cardiac Arrrest is really tempting fate.

I absolutely loved them. I saw them many times at university in the late 80s / early 90s when they were at their peak, then in 2004 supporting The Wildhearts at The Junction, Cambridge. When I fi

Posted Images

I remember them, saw them in Manchester, they were a warm-up at the Apollo for Marillion, odd choice as the audience in the pit set fire to all the shrouds they were using as props.

There we are it was Dec 17 1984 - that bloody year again.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/marillion/1984/manchester-apollo-manchester-england-33d4187d.html

16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Their wiki entry is extensive and they were going all through the time I was interested in rock music and were at the height of their success late 80s when I was reading Melody Maker every week;

That's the problem - they sound more like the shite that would have been pushed by the wankers at the NME.  I can remember hearing the name, but that's all.

Actually, "shite" is unfair.  The more I listen, the more I like them - like an English Devo.

I'm into my music (a lot!) but confess that I don't think I've heard of them. Not sure the size of a band's wiki page is a gauge of their success or popularity though. For example the page for The Chameleons is much shorter yet they are a much revered band.

4 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I'm into my music (a lot!) but confess that I don't think I've heard of them. Not sure the size of a band's wiki page is a gauge of their success or popularity though. For example the page for The Chameleons is much shorter yet they are a much revered band.

Very near the top of my personal top ten. 

1 hour ago, Panther said:

I don't remember them but they do seem like a very forgettable support band, something people wouldn't actually be interested in.

And in that sense are the perfect support band -- most definitely not competing in any way with the main act.

1 hour ago, Big Boy said:

That's the problem - they sound more like the shite that would have been pushed by the wankers at the NME.  I can remember hearing the name, but that's all.

Actually, "shite" is unfair.  The more I listen, the more I like them - like an English Devo.

Cheers, that would explain it.  I detested the NME and if they were one of their "pet" bands then Melody Maker would have ignored them and that was the only music paper I read.

As @Inigo says that isn't the kind of thing that you listen to twice and if I had managed to get a ticket to Marillion I'd have resented having to go through that.

I had heard the name but never actually heard them. The first minute or so was absolutely horrible, but I have to admit I almost liked it in the end, a bit like Devo, Residents, or shambling C86 shoegaze like Mackenzies. R.E.S Music Video is a little bit more conventional and less zany.

I'm pretty certain that everyone at the NME hated them, they were constantly and continually insulted in the early 90s.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I did. I always got Melody Maker. I think you got more music in it, including C&W bands I would never have heard of.

Yes, definitely more music.

NME writers were so up their own arses that you could never tell if a band was any good from reading their pieces; they were simply spinning words to make themselves look good.

For similar reasons I very rarely listened to John Peel, Festive 50 excepted where the listeners chose the music, because he willfully played utter rubbish rather than play something even faintly popular.  And his Radio 4 show - Home Truths - was terrible.  It was purely a succession of That's Life style anecdotes read out over the course of an hour; it would have struggled to get onto a local radio slot if it hadn't been presented by a big name.

I think I'd have liked him in the early days because he championed genuinely good bands like T Rex and The Faces before descending into playing any old rubbish as long as it was new out that week, maybe to prove he was "down wiv the kids", and too rubbish to get played on a normal R1 show.