DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Barlows product test - Ecozoom rocket stove.

Got my early birthday present today from Mrs B - an Ecozoom rocket stove! 

Done the first test run to boil some water pretty and am impressed. Much easier to manage than a Kelly kettle. We are going rough camping in August so this will be coming along. 

I've got some cast Iron pans so I'm going to cook us steaks tonight on it as Mrs. B is at work and I'm 'home working'. 

Ecozoom test fire.JPG

8 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

I had one of these. Well a few..I flogged about 7.

It was a ceramic/ or clay grill. Lasted a good 15 years.

Great stuff.

Just cooked a couple of Sirloin steaks in the dutch oven pan. Lovely. Only downside the smoke off poplar wood unpleasant. Need a better choice of fuel. 

Even heated the water for the Veg on the stove (finished them off on the electric cooker) 

Going to slow cook 4 litre mince stew tomorrow. 

15 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

image.png.db7940d8c481f1615750ac403b420fa3.png

XYY

Funnily enough my 6 year old son asked me if I knew what a Dutch oven was when I went in to rouse him from his slumber this morning. Yeah, it's a cooking pot (weird question). He quickly followed with the suggestion that I should come under his duvet for a cuddle. The penny dropped, I wasn't falling for that one, even at 7am 9_9

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I found the Kelly Kettle is easiest to work with chafing gel (ethanol paste) rather than sticks.

As I'm look after his Majesty today and have a lot to do I ducked out of using the eco zoom and the dutch oven is simmering on the electric stove. 

If I get the setting  right I can just about get the demand from the inducton hob level with what the solar is producing:D

The kelly kettle will sit in my reserve pile of preppers cooking kit. 

• 2 woodgas stoves (1 is fucked although I have repaired it with some sheet aluminium
  • 1 Kelly Kettle
  • 2 Spirit stoves
  • 1 Paraffin stove (piece of chinese shit)
  • Ecozoom Stove
  • 2 Solar vacuum tubes 

Edited by Kurt Barlow
  • 3 weeks later...
On 13/08/2020 at 23:36, The Grey Man said:

I am daft as a fucking brush

They are a nice bit of gear outdoors

We took it camping this weekend with a group of friends down in Dorset. We largely used charcoal on it for cooking including BBQ - I said its a Jewish BBQ as it only uses a fraction of what they were using on their conventional BBQ's. 

Mrs B cooked some Persian soups that contained lots of lentils - probably not the best choice as we were in a small tent. I stuck to burgers and steaks! 

8 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

We took it camping this weekend with a group of friends down in Dorset. We largely used charcoal on it for cooking including BBQ - I said its a Jewish BBQ as it only uses a fraction of what they were using on their conventional BBQ's. 

Mrs B cooked some Persian soups that contained lots of lentils - probably not the best choice as we were in a small tent. I stuck to burgers and steaks! 

We go away with the tents this Friday.

Both sites allow fires/ BBQs.

I have been trying to watch as many You tube vids on it as possible.

Only thing I thought I had but dont, are a pair of BBQ type gaunlets to move the pan.

I got an iron tripod last thing. Not sure Its up to the.job..it was cheap..so sticking with it on the coals....images of it crashing everwhere.

47 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

We go away with the tents this Friday.

Both sites allow fires/ BBQs.

I have been trying to watch as many You tube vids on it as possible.

Only thing I thought I had but dont, are a pair of BBQ type gaunlets to move the pan.

I got an iron tripod last thing. Not sure Its up to the.job..it was cheap..so sticking with it on the coals....images of it crashing everwhere.

The site we were on - the smoke equates to about 20 ciggies a day as people burning any old shyte. One of the twats we were with bought along some treated timber decking. Wanted to put it on the eco zoom - I said nope. 

I used a variety of fuels

Charcoal - for BBQ burgers and steaks

Clean wood (mostly birch) for cooking the soup on the dutch oven  and as a camp fire

Also used a small quantity of smokeless coal (minus 100 Great points) to generate some good heat for boiling kettles throughout the evening. The wimmin and one the blokes in our group all non drinkers so they were drinking gallons of tea. 

• 3 weeks later...