DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

And then they came for the programmers

jamtomorrow

jamtomorrow

Seems this GPT-3 thing can sorta kinda code a bit, even Carmack's "unnerved": https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/07/20/1005454/openai-machine-learning-language-generator-gpt-3-nlp/

OpenAI’s new language generator GPT-3 is shockingly good—and completely mindless

The AI is the largest language model ever created and can generate amazing human-like text on demand but won't bring us closer to true intelligence.

GPT-3 is the most powerful language model ever. Its predecessor, GPT-2, released last year, was already able to spit out convincing streams of text in a range of different styles when prompted with an opening sentence. But GPT-3 is a big leap forward. The model has 175 billion parameters (the values that a neural network tries to optimize during training), compared with GPT-2’s already vast 1.5 billion. And with language models, size really does matter.

Others have found that GPT-3 can generate any kind of text, including guitar tabs or computer code. For example, by tweaking GPT-3 so that it produced HTML rather than natural language, web developer Sharif Shameem showed that he could make it create web-page layouts by giving it prompts like “a button that looks like a watermelon” or “large text in red that says WELCOME TO MY NEWSLETTER and a blue button that says Subscribe.” Even legendary coder John Carmack, who pioneered 3D computer graphics in early video games like Doom and is now consulting CTO at Oculus VR, was unnerved: “The recent, almost accidental, discovery that GPT-3 can sort of write code does generate a slight shiver.”

sancho panza

I was talking with a guy who'd been laid off the other day and he was saying that AI was the future in his industry-he worked for a large tyre manufacturer but I'm not sure doing what- hence why he took the opportunity to go for VR.Not that I udnerstand coding at all as I can barely spell.

Don't know about anyone on here but I've seen very few people regret taking the first round of VR.Normally the most generous.

Some here may be generating their posts using such technology. Actually it's probably rife on social media, where various experimental bots have been tried.

unregistered_guest
8 hours ago, MrPin said:

Some here may be generating their posts using such technology.

I deny everything!

Frank Hovis

We know of at least two cases of automated posting on here: the Pepsi and PS3 post and the not letting children use the toilet during class one.

There was no artiifical intelligence in the actual posts which were written by the originator but they presumably had a programme to find forums, set up an id and password on them, log in and post the text.

You can see how that can be extended; maybe like the Derren Brown chess trick where you play mutiple experts and thrwo one expert's moves back against another - start lifting related postings out of other forums or Twitter and drop those onto threads. 

This would give the semblance of intelligence.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's all we have here.

Long time lurking
10 hours ago, MrPin said:

Some here may be generating their posts using such technology. Actually it's probably rife on social media, where various experimental bots have been tried.

Forums are where they test them ,my mates lad works in this field i think it was well over a year ago he said there record was three months on a forum before the bot was outed 

He reckons call centers days are numbered 

3 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Forums are where they test them ,my mates lad works in this field i think it was well over a year ago he said there record was three months on a forum before the bot was outed 

That's one internet fict I can believe.o.O

Chewing Grass

The bots hide behind fake Indian accents so its hard to suss them out.

Amazon already deal with most issues via a chatbot. Where Amazon goes, the rest of the internet follows.

One issue I foresee, having worked in a British Gas call centre many, many years ago, is that a lot of people who need help are a bit dim, and AI will have to become very advanced before it can twig that, for example, a customer is reading their neighbour's gas meter, or has spent their winter fuel allowance on Christmas presents for their grand kids.

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

The bots hide behind fake Indian accents so its hard to suss them out.

I can never get their accent, and believe me, I spent some time in India, and they are much more understandable.

Long time lurking
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

We know of at least two cases of automated posting on here: the Pepsi and PS3 post and the not letting children use the toilet during class one.

There was no artiifical intelligence in the actual posts which were written by the originator but they presumably had a programme to find forums, set up an id and password on them, log in and post the text.

You can see how that can be extended; maybe like the Derren Brown chess trick where you play mutiple experts and thrwo one expert's moves back against another - start lifting related postings out of other forums or Twitter and drop those onto threads. 

Exactly this see my post above ,the lad reckons the one they are working on will research the forum first then set up an account etc 

As for just post text that is not the case it would do everything including learning about the forums subject ,it would be fucked with a place like this other than finding a thread with a single subject to concentrate on ,,,,nope it would be fucked xD

8 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Exactly this see my post above ,the lad reckons the one they are working on will research the forum first then set up an account etc 

To what end? If the intent is to influence discussion then it's not really "intelligent".

Be interesting to see what opinions an AI formed on thorny subjects if left to it's own devices. You could argue that a lot of "logical" solutions are considered more right-wing. 

13 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I can never get their accent, and believe me, I spent some time in India, and they are much more understandable.

The issue with Indian call centres is actual the incredibly poor quality of your average Indian phone line. I had to speak to MS yesterday and we shifted the call to teams immediately which made it far more bearable...

Long time lurking
1 minute ago, eight said:

To what end? If the intent is to influence discussion then it's not really "intelligent".

Be interesting to see what opinions an AI formed on thorny subjects if left to it's own devices. You could argue that a lot of "logical" solutions are considered more right-wing. 

I would guess to learn ,from what i can make out it was not about influencing discussion it was just about conversing ,he did say it worked best on single issue forums ,like a MK1 mini type of forum etc

That`s all i really know he`s working in a research environment ,last time i talked to his dad he said he was thinking of going to MIT in the US ,the lad is/was gifted A level maths and physics at 11 years of age studying at uni by the time he was 14 

1 hour ago, AWW said:

One issue I foresee, having worked in a British Gas call centre many, many years ago, is that a lot of people who need help are a bit dim, and AI will have to become very advanced before it can twig that, for example, a customer is reading their neighbour's gas meter, or has spent their winter fuel allowance on Christmas presents for their grand kids.

Snap.  Yes most accounts were in a complete muddle as I remember but the worst thing about it apart from the hot-desking (putting up with other peoples' crumbs on hte keyboard etc) was having to load on multi computer systems in your own time (took approx 20 mins); only being paid any wages after 7 weeks in the company and having to sell "plumbing and drains" etc cover.   It was truly one of the worst jobs I did and I didn't stay for longO.o

6 minutes ago, janch said:

Snap.  Yes most accounts were in a complete muddle as I remember but the worst thing about it apart from the hot-desking (putting up with other peoples' crumbs on hte keyboard etc) was having to load on multi computer systems in your own time (took approx 20 mins); only being paid any wages after 7 weeks in the company and having to sell "plumbing and drains" etc cover.   It was truly one of the worst jobs I did and I didn't stay for longO.o

I was paid a wage for my five weeks training and did the actual job for all of a fortnight before finding a "proper" job. The training included a whole day on how to add up a gas bill, and half a day on how to read a meter. It was mind-numbing. But hey, it was (not much) cash. I think I used the money to buy my first car.

1 hour ago, eight said:

Going from how Microsoft's Tay bot went off the rails within 24 hours, if one was on here it would soon become overly obsessed with arses. From cleaning them, to pegging them, and would have a desire to move to Stoke. xD

Twitter taught Microsoft’s AI chatbot to be a racist asshole in less than a day

https://gizmodo.com/here-are-the-microsoft-twitter-bot-s-craziest-racist-ra-1766820160

Popuplights
4 minutes ago, spunko said:

What if I told you all privately via PM that every other poster on here was a bot and you were the only one? 

Wouldn't be surprised.

Aha, PCW. I used to subscribe to that magazine. Bizarrely, it got me into trading shares. I bought a Mesh computer with an AMD Athlon after reading a PCW group test. It was so good, I bought some AMD shares, which promptly quadrupled in a few months... then ended up lower than when I bought them after the dot com crash. They recovered somewhat and I sold at a profit that almost covered the computer.

10 hours ago, eight said:

That happened on a famous AI bot that posted on twitter. It became a Nazi and the university switched it off. Google it.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, spunko said:

What if I told you all privately via PM that every other poster on here was a bot and you were the only one? 

I've met two of the other posters though.

Archived