DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Assuming it isn't cancelled due to COVID, looking to go next year. Has anyone been? I am sure a least 1 DOSBOder has been... Not sure if flying is going to be a ballache so will probably go on the Steam Packet. Do they jack the prices up as I assume for that week?

It does look pretty fuckin' cool.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This video shows the track off in all it's glory. The speedo is mph.Superb video well worth watching.    

Steve Parish racer / presenter:

You go on a motorbike, otherwise you are a poof.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

Assuming it isn't cancelled due to COVID, looking to go next year. Has anyone been? I am sure a least 1 DOSBOder has been... Not sure if flying is going to be a ballache so will probably go on the Steam Packet. Do they jack the prices up as I assume for that week?

It does look pretty fuckin' cool.

It does.

Apart from all those dung punchers taking photos with their selfie sticks...

XYY

1 minute ago, dgul said:

They'll ban it one day, then it'll be too late to go.

There is TT Zero, for e-bikes. They will probably ban the petrol one, and have been threatening to do so for at least 10 years so I assume eventually Elf n Safety will win. Don't know if the TT Zero will replace it - not as good, even though they're faster, they obviously make no noise.

6 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Never been to the TT but I’ve been to a few road races in NI 

The riders are mental imho and definitely don’t need a pension plan. 

I know people who go to IOM every year for the TT , it’s like a religion and supposed to be great fun 

Do they go for a few days and make a short break out of it, or just go for the races and leave?

When going for a fortnight, the usual drill is to go practice week and TT week. The IOM is heaving TT week. 

The IOM does try to have something going on for most of the holiday season. Except the week after TT week, it's deader than a dodo. A good time to explore a tourist free island if empty shops and pubs is your thing.

5 hours ago, MrPin said:

You go on a motorbike, otherwise you are a poof.

No, you go in a van with your racing bike(s), tyres, spares, leathers, helmets etc. in the back and an area where you can brew up and a small area of floor where you can sleep in your sleeping bag.

Otherwise you are a poof. :ph34r:

Edited by Option5
5 minutes ago, Option5 said:

No, you go in a van with your racing bike(s), tyres, spares, leathers, helmets etc. in the back and an area where you can brew up and a small area of floor where you can sleep in your sleeping bag.

Otherwise you are a poof. :ph34r:

Used to have a friend, who was a bit of an amateur racer. His nickname was "crasher". Used to fall off 125s, and graduated to falling off 500s.

Yes it's cancelled this year, traditionally happens first week in June https://www.acu.org.uk/  TT https://www.iomtt.com/news/2020/03/16/tt-2020-cancelled Manx GP https://www.iomtt.com/news/2020/05/04/classic-tt-2020-cancelled I haven't been since the nineties but reports suggest things are much the same. Tbh spectating gets a bit dull after a while, it's difficult to get to a good viewing point and they're going so fast you'd be doing well to know who just went past. There's a lot of standing around because once the roads are closed more often than not you are stuck in one place for some hours. Some go on enduro bikes so they can get around the centre of the Island on green lanes whilst the roads are closed. Exhibitionists at night on Douglas prom is entertaining for a while. Crossing the Irish sea is fucking horrendous if the weather is bad and you get to spend eight hours on the ferry that stinks of puke and drunk Germans inside and is too wet and windy to stand outside on the deck. It's worth going to see the TT, bikes going down the high street at 200mph is quite something, but I would suggest a prolonged visit would probably not be to most dosbod's taste. @spunko being a man of means, I would suggest booking a nice hotel in Douglas for a couple of nights and flying out. 

Don't take this as a criticism of the Isle of Man as a tourist destination - it's a fantastic place, probably what most of us wish the mainland was like. TT week might be fun for the club 18 - 30 minded, but large crowds, pissed up people and burnouts throughout the night get tedious quick. I'd strongly encourage a visit for lesser motorsport events or even for sightseeing and some peace and quiet.

7 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

I am sure it will be cancelled due to Covid, because the TT is always 'safety first'. We can't have people taking unneccesary risks.

"What have we got here?"

"Well, we found the bike and legs wrapped around this post, the body went through this house window and the head was found in that field over there."

"Anything else?"

"He did test positive for Covid"

"Really? I think I have everything I need for my coroner's report". 

29 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

"What have we got here?"

"Well, we found the bike and legs wrapped around this post, the body went through this house window and the head was found in that field over there."

"Anything else?"

"He did test positive for Covid"

"Really? I think I have everything I need for my coroner's report". 

Said in jest, but there was a case of a motorcycle accident in the USA where the rider died after a night in hospital where they tried to save him.  When he came in he tested positive for covid and thus was in the stats as a covid death.

[Eds, a report is here: https://cbs12.com/news/local/man-who-died-in-motorcycle-crash-counted-as-covid-19-death-in-florida-report.]

Edited by dgul