DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

My husband pointed out this story yesterday. I think he's probably going to buy another guitar. 😁

I guess there's been a lot of time to practice recently. It's a better passtime than demonstrating about "something or other".

5 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

Is this going to be another bicycle thing where they are hard to come by none are getting produced on time.  And then everything that isn't seen as toilet paper keeps getting more expensive simply because it is tangible?

Anythingto sell "stuff" eh. My giant pack of toilet paper was bought before last Christmas.

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Anythingto sell "stuff" eh. My giant pack of toilet paper was bought before last Christmas.

Well maybe wait a few months and the inevitable panic will resume .. People no doubt will forget that toilet paper really shouldn't be in any danger of disappearing from the shops..... But everyone else buying so it will be 😭

Then you can maybe start cashing in, quick sale style

3 hours ago, Dogtania said:

Well maybe wait a few months and the inevitable panic will resume .. People no doubt will forget that toilet paper really shouldn't be in any danger of disappearing from the shops..... But everyone else buying so it will be 😭

Then you can maybe start cashing in, quick sale style

Whilst it would be impractical to try wipe ones bottom with a Guitar, I have sadly seen skids in G-strings before. 

Journalists are either incapable of simple logic, or delight in deliberately annoying people by writing articles with contents that don't support their opening statements.

In this case:

Guitar sales rise as UK gets into lockdown groove

Life under lockdown has seen a surge in amateur musicians and podcasters, says the UK's biggest online retailer of instruments and sound equipment.

But this proposition is based around a single piece of data: 

In the April-to-June period, Gear4music saw the value of UK sales rise 80% on the same time last year to £21.2m.  Among the big sellers were electric and acoustic guitar starter bundles, which contain all the accessories required for a budding player to get picking.

Right.  So, in a time where all the physical shops were closed, an online retailer sells more stuff.  Amazing.  

For the journalists, Gear4Music themselves give a market analysis of the size of the 'physical music stuff' market, and how much is online, at http://www.gear4musicplc.com/about-us/market-overview/#:~:text=The top ten European retail,profound shift towards online retail.  Which is that the UK market is worth about £860million, and about £300m is online (2017).  So they're not that large a player in the market that their 80% growth (from just over 1% of the market) would touch the 65% of market lost.

So, a better analysis might be -- retailer that could continue selling benefits from 65% of the market being forced to stop selling.  It is specifically of note that there's no information supporting their actual statement, that people have turned to guitars in their droves during lockdown.

[They did similar yesterday in the article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53501743 -- Cutting screen time lowers risk of death, study finds.  The study finds no such thing -- if finds that people who watch lots of TV have a higher risk of death.  There's no evidence in the study that supports their opening statements -- that simply reducing screen time alone (eg, reading more, taking up a hobby, etc) lowers risk of death.  Their data says only 'people who watch loads of TV are also people who have a higher risk of death' -- but that's not the fault of the TV.  The evidence is that sedentary lifestyles and poor diet increases risks, and sorting those out would lower risk of death; a person sitting in front of a TV for 10 hours a day (5 times their recommendation) would probably be fine if they spent the rest of their waking time doing hard physical stuff and they ate well.]

Well, mr@dgultoday you can confidently buy a guitar on-line, and know you will get a good one. If you don't like it you will be refunded. Not like the old days, when even Gibson made duds, so you really had to try them.

37 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Well, mr@dgultoday you can confidently buy a guitar on-line, and know you will get a good one. If you don't like it you will be refunded. Not like the old days, when even Gibson made duds, so you really had to try them.

I bought a guitar online.  It was okay and I saved a bit of money, but then spent some of the saving getting it set up at a local luthiers.  Of course, it might have needed to be fettled anyway if I'd have bought it from a music shop.

[I don't play the guitar -- it was a special sort of guitar for folk that don't play guitars.]

Edited by dgul
Just now, dgul said:

I bought a guitar online.  It was okay and I saved a bit of money, but then spent some of the saving getting it set up at a local luthiers.  Of course, it might have needed to be fettled if I'd have bought it from a music shop.

[I don't play the guitar -- it was a special sort of guitar for folk that don't play guitars.]

Set up is not difficult, and you can learn it. Obviously what takes the shop 30 minutes, takes me 3 hours.

49 minutes ago, Option5 said:

These people are all learning the Blues for when the recession starts to bite.

I like Mike Harding's version of Dead Man's Blues.

"Well I didn't wake up this morning....."

When Johnny Walker returned to Radio 2 after his cancer treatment, he 'performed' The Chemotherapy Blues:

Woke up this morning...

WHAT A RESULT!!!

1 hour ago, Option5 said:

I like Mike Harding's version of Dead Man's Blues.

I never liked him much but I do remember him saying "And remember folks, the best things in life... are hairy"