DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cycling what bollocks

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through the cycle to work everyone could get a bike VAT free through salary sacrifice. Of course this new scheme is aimed at people who don't work, so they have to get it free off the NHS full stop or

Here, cycling will save the NHS a fortune. Without a proper cycle lane, all these new "enthusiasts" that have not been on a bicycle for 30 years will be wiped out. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news

I wouldn't be so sure that they don't give free bikes to fat people if prescribed by a doctor, or heavily subsidised. After all, mobility scooters and free Motability cars are already provided for the

Posted Images

and GPs prescribing cycling.

There's a drawback as chemists won't accept that prescription.  Maybe a better word would be recommend but for sure most of them would have recommended more exercise before (as well as fewer calories).

Do they mean you'll get a free bike on prescription - doubtful.

Edited by twocents
3 minutes ago, twocents said:

There's a drawback as chemists won't accept that prescription.  Maybe a better word would be recommend but for sure most of them would have recommended more exercise before (as well as fewer calories).

I wouldn't be so sure that they don't give free bikes to fat people if prescribed by a doctor, or heavily subsidised. After all, mobility scooters and free Motability cars are already provided for the truly obese.

Just now, The Idiocrat said:

I wouldn't be so sure that they don't give free bikes to fat people if prescribed by a doctor, or heavily subsidised. After all, mobility scooters and free Motability cars are already provided for the truly obese.

These "scooters" are a way to avoid walking. There's quite a few round here.

7 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Fair point - nothing would really surprise.  Repeat prescriptions if they get stolen.

Edited by twocents
43 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Here, cycling will save the NHS a fortune.

Without a proper cycle lane, all these new "enthusiasts" that have not been on a bicycle for 30 years will be wiped out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53541866

If they are wiped out the NHS will be saved a fortune. However, it's more likely that most of them will only be injured thus costing the NHS a fortune.

Just now, Rare Bear said:

If they are wiped out the NHS will be saved a fortune. However, it's more likely that most of them will only be injured thus costing the NHS a fortune.

Yes, I worked with a bloke, a bit older than me that came a cropper. He buggered his shoulder up and it's the last thing you want at over 60. Clever man, ex RAF.

10 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Precisely, the vast majority of the people in the UK/USA and probably elsewhere just want a magic pill hence the market for diet quackery.

Telling people to do something that requires mental or physical effort will result in 90% doing fuck-all about their problem.

Its magic pills or nothing.

16 minutes ago, twocents said:

Given that the advantage of cycling over walking as a mode of transport is that the legs only have to propel you rather than support and propel you, surely walking is a much better form of exercise than cycling?

Just now, Rare Bear said:

Given that the advantage of cycling over walking as a mode of transport is that the legs only have to propel you rather than support and propel you, surely walking is a much better form of exercise than cycling?

20 minute journey on a bike takes 2.5 hours on foot unless you run or do that fast walking thing where you wiggle your hips.

14 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

If you are working everyone's is or was entitled to a free bicycle 

There was a scheme IIRC it was the cycle to work scheme or something similar sounding

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

20 minute journey on a bike takes 2.5 hours on foot unless you run or do that fast walking thing where you wiggle your hips.

It depends on the hills. I thought I may cycle the 4 miles to work, but when I saw the traffic, I thought it unwise

3 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

Cycling is far less damaging from an impact perspective than walking/running 

But that don`t take account for falling off it :D

15 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

Not to mention an explosion in pedestrian injuries due to more cyclists on now so called footpaths and even more cyclists not bothering with the rules of the road and the Highway Code.

Edited by twocents
Just now, twocents said:

Not to mention an explosion in pedestrian injuries due to cyclists on paths and even more cyclists not bothering with the rules of the road and the Highway Code.

BLM makes that insignificant IMHO - hipster anarchy in the UK 'n' all that.

In the meantime people should stay at home (mostly on the couch

In the meantime people should stay at home (mainly on the couch) to save the NHS but pop out in August for 50% discounted restaurant food and as far as I'm aware the gyms still haven't reopened.

to save the NHS but go out in August for their 50% discounted food.

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

Yes, I worked with a bloke, a bit older than me that came a cropper. He buggered his shoulder up and it's the last thing you want at over 60. Clever man, ex RAF.

I used to work with an ex Navy guy who got invalided out after somebody dropped the gun barrel on his feet during the Royal Tournament. O.o