DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Board game recommendations

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mousetrap, takes 50 minutes to set up, then the fucker doesn't work when it's meant to. Awesome game!!

As a kid I loved Totopoly and Escape from colditz

I was going for @The XYY Man in the bathroom with a loofah.

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

...and I'm not talking Guess Who... I recently played Pandemic...Quite liked it.  I also found Sequence very simple but pretty addictive...Does anyone else have any other recommendations?

Years ago I used like playing Junta as a painless way to pass an evening with some friends and a few beers

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junta_(game)

Britannia was not bad either

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_(board_game)

To me a game needs to be able to be played in a reasonable time span of 4-5 hours.

I avoided like the plague games like NATO where it took weeks just to get the pieces set up.

Oddly though I used to play a few board games I have never warmed to their computer equivalent.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Settlers of Catan, not played it for years but remember it being fun between a group of us and relatively easy to get into.

Just Googled, it's now just called Catan: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Catan-CN3071-Board-Game-Multi-color/dp/B00U26V4VQ/

I guess a German board game with "Settlers" in the name is a bit too controversial these days.

17 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Interesting that this thread has just popped up. Wife and two daughters are currently playing Cluedo. Can't stand it - my brain stops working for some reason. 

I like Ulcers for it's utterly non PC message. :D

Ultimately nothing beats Scrabble for me.

dosbbods cluedo.

It would always be @stokiescum in the bedroom with the rice flail. 

When I was a kid we'd play AgriHazard.  You got some money, had to buy land, animals, take them to market, etc.

What was even better was that there didn't really seem any way to 'win' or 'lose', you just kept on playing.  I understand that when you wanted to give up you'd just get your children to keep playing for you.

Edited by dgul
2 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

...and I'm not talking Guess Who... I recently played Pandemic...Quite liked it.  I also found Sequence very simple but pretty addictive...Does anyone else have any other recommendations?

all depends on who the players are.  are they old?  young?  mix?  men? women? gamers? non gamers? english language experts? etc etc.

We're really into board games. A few already mentioned here:

Ticket to ride - great for all the family

Catan - good family strategy game 

Risk - good game, we set it up to play the short version

Splendor - 100% strategy and can be finished in 20 minutes. My wife always kicks my ass

Pandemic - great co-op game for the family

6-nimmt - German card game, bizarrely addictive

All depends what you're into. Monopoly is really shit after playing these. Avoid it like the plague.