DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Random whinge - stuff like this boils my piss

29 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Girl falls over waterfall, survives, parents want a review of the safety of the site:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53570487

I'd have thought it was obvious, if you don't want to risk your daughter falling over a waterfall, don't take her to look over the top of a waterfall. 

When our kids were little we took them to the top of high force where you can stand at the edge and look over. I was shitting myself the whole time, but who would have been to blame if I or one of the kids slipped and went over? 

The council, obviously. 

Heard that too on the radio this morning and these were my thoughts.  When I hear this kind of thing in my head I alwsys compare to other countries where there are miles or thousands of miles continent wide where there are all sorts of natural bits of land that it wouldn't be safe to walk blindly around.

Can't wrap everything in cotton wool really.  Things like cliffs exist in nature, blame mother nature for making the world inherently unsafe I guess.

Edited by Dogtania
7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Or Eastern Europe where you can find yourself eaten by a bear if very unlucky when walking through woodland.

The landowners should not even have put up those railings because if they give way they can be sued.

What you do is put up absolutely nothing but a warning sign. Build no fences or steps since anything you build has to be maintained.

Bears should be made to wear multilingial warning signs.

1 hour ago, xyz said:

Yes but who could possibly have guessed it was dangerous there?

Why is that sign only in English and Welsh?

Do these racist bigots want to kill every immigrant who visits that place?

Something must be done! Will you sign my petition on change.org? I'll just need to get my outrage translated into 25 more languages first...

20200729_193340.jpg.48653687b4e68d4bcfb1455273881dbe.jpgMy Welsh language skills are minimal.

Kind of guessed this word, with a circle and line through, there was a hazard.20200729_193340.jpg.48653687b4e68d4bcfb1455273881dbe.jpg

That precipitous drop sealed my view.

Sad they put no warning up for not ramming the sign post down your throat for risk of choking.

Positive deathtrap and no warnings.

Edited by The Grey Man
21 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

20200729_193340.jpg.48653687b4e68d4bcfb1455273881dbe.jpgMy Welsh language skills are minimal.

Kind of guessed this word, with a circle and line through, there was a hazard.20200729_193340.jpg.48653687b4e68d4bcfb1455273881dbe.jpg

That precipitous drop sealed my view.

Sad they put no warning up for not ramming the sign post down your throat for risk of choking.

Positive deathtrap and no warnings.

https://mobile.twitter.com/delboy_ofah/status/1023982239154102273?lang=en

Told this story before on here.  At Rotorura, NZ, there is a huge volcanic area where the lava is pretty damn close to the surface.  About 150 years ago it blew and people just disappeared.

Anyway, the paths through the hot pools etc just say 'if you cross this rope you will die'.

They lose a couple of tourists every couple of years, but no one gets sued.

Update: looks like the have updated it with a proper sign with a death symbol. xD

image.jpg

I don’t have an issue with warning signs,  that’s just humans helping other humans not to hurt themselves.

The blame game surrounding people’s deaths is ridiculous though.  

I don’t blame the council,  it appears well sign posted,  nobody can really say they didn’t know it was dangerous.

I do blame the parents for not being more responsible for their children,  but kids can be stupid and parents aren’t infallible.  I wouldn’t punish them..  losing their child is plenty punishment enough.

It’s just sad that, like in this case, nobody takes personal responsibility any more.  I guess it’s just easier to blame anyone else but yourself?

58 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I don’t have an issue with warning signs,  that’s just humans helping other humans not to hurt themselves.

The blame game surrounding people’s deaths is ridiculous though.  

I don’t blame the council,  it appears well sign posted,  nobody can really say they didn’t know it was dangerous.

I do blame the parents for not being more responsible for their children,  but kids can be stupid and parents aren’t infallible.  I wouldn’t punish them..  losing their child is plenty punishment enough.

It’s just sad that, like in this case, nobody takes personal responsibility any more.  I guess it’s just easier to blame anyone else but yourself?

Human history writ large.  Blame the old lady for being a witch if your cow dies.  Blame the unbelievers if the rain fails.  Blame whitey if your life is shit.

Reminds me of the time I was on a train station platform with my son aged three or so. Obviously I was making sure he was nowhere near the tracks but the little B found a gap in the fence to the neighboring electricity substation. So he's on the other side of a fence labelled Danger of Death One Million Volts and I'm doing my nut. Gap wasn't big enough for me so I just had to coax him out. Which wasn't easy because they're little sods at that age. 

Wrote to the electric company and fair do's the next time I was on that station they had fixed it. 

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

Reminds me of the time I was on a train station platform with my son aged three or so. Obviously I was making sure he was nowhere near the tracks but the little B found a gap in the fence to the neighboring electricity substation. So he's on the other side of a fence labelled Danger of Death One Million Volts and I'm doing my nut. Gap wasn't big enough for me so I just had to coax him out. Which wasn't easy because they're little sods at that age. 

Wrote to the electric company and fair do's the next time I was on that station they had fixed it. 

Don't have kids of my own, but have looked after friends on the odd occasion. Absolutely terrifying.

How is it that the brain process of toddler boys works as follows. "Ahh, here is a metal fork I have found. I shall stab it repeatedly at an electrical power socket and wait to see what happens. Stab stab stab stab stab"

Childproofing a bachelors appartment in quick time isn't the easiest thing either...