DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Feedback poll on 201p's posts about the market

Feedback on 201p's Financial Market Commentary  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How useful do you find 201p's posts about the financial markets?

• Great - his timing is usually good, and he is on top of latest developments
    • Good - not everything is right, but some good pointers
    • Fair - Could do better
    • Poor - he gets it mostly wrong, what's the point
  2. 2. Have you learned anything about the markets from 201p's posts?

• Yes, lots
    • Yes and No - I have my own views, some are affirming, some are alternative
    • No
  3. 3. Have you made or lost money in 2020?

• Lots - I have made a lot of money in 2020 from the markets
    • Moderate - I have made some money in 2020 from the markets
    • Break Even - we're only half way through the year
    • Small loss - I am sitting on a small loss so far
    • Big loss - I don't know, I haven't counted it up. I can turn it around before the year is out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/08/20 at 16:53

I have made some money but also lost some and overall I'm down:(.  I started my portfolio last year and most of the shares I bought then dived in March this year and haven't recovered yet.  If I'd had more to invest I would have bought more in March.

Your tips about investing are useful so please carry on.

Methinks the markets are rigged so you have to beat the bastards before they can beat you ;) Cutting losses is key but the psychology is tough cos we don't like to admit being wrong...

You've made some great calls, POG is one that springs to mind! Doubled in value! Keep em coming! And good luck! :)

Edit: here's a thought @201p if you had a spare £100k at the moment what would you do with it? O.o

Edited by 5min OCD speculator
3 hours ago, janch said:

I have made some money but also lost some and overall I'm down:(.  I started my portfolio last year and most of the shares I bought then dived in March this year and haven't recovered yet.  If I'd had more to invest I would have bought more in March.

Your tips about investing are useful so please carry on.

Thank you, I've been in the markets for nearly 20 years, welcome to the start of hopefully a great journey.

1 hour ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

Methinks the markets are rigged so you have to beat the bastards before they can beat you ;) Cutting losses is key but the psychology is tough cos we don't like to admit being wrong...

You've made some great calls, POG is one that springs to mind! Doubled in value! Keep em coming! And good luck! :)

Edit: here's a thought @201p if you had a spare £100k at the moment what would you do with it? O.o

{Bold} Yes.

I got whipsawed out of POG, but to anyone that still hung on through that well done though. 

£100K. Difficult one. I wouldn't put anymore into gold right now until $2000 is cleared, and I heard about China wanting to put a lid on the speculation. Gold is anti-all-establishment, anti-fiat, anti-trust, so you must remember you are playing with fire. I am reading Robbie Burn's book Trade like a shark - and he doesn't touch gold or oil interestingly, which I think are one of the most manipulated markets around.  Don't forget Donald Trump is the defender of the dollar - it'll only take one Tweet to set it back for months like he did with Bitcoin.

I'd probably start to put it to work as I see things that come up - so I'd keep it as mostly cash until November until the markets are cyclically stronger historically.

Which leads to Kodak. I had mean't to write about Kodak, but have been busy. Before it got it's $750m loan from the US government, the stock was already going up, so some people benefited from a leak. It is still a highly sentiment driven market, which still has surprises to the upside.

16 minutes ago, 201p said:

Robbie Burn's book Trade like a shark

that's hilarious cos the shark has tattooed on his head 'cut losses, run profits!'......this is key, somebody said that to me a long time ago and I still haven't learnt my lesson! xD

Fascinating how the US$ is getting butt f**ed at the moment, will it continue? The dump in the markets today was interesting cos usually the £ will go down too but this time it didn't....all the 'end of the dollar nutters will be out again soon'? O.o

1 hour ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

that's hilarious cos the shark has tattooed on his head 'cut losses, run profits!'......this is key, somebody said that to me a long time ago and I still haven't learnt my lesson! xD

Fascinating how the US$ is getting butt f**ed at the moment, will it continue? The dump in the markets today was interesting cos usually the £ will go down too but this time it didn't....all the 'end of the dollar nutters will be out again soon'? O.o

I doubt we'd see the end of the Dollar in our life times. If people go to work, pay the interest on their debts, and spend, that is all that matters. The currency is just a grease to keep the cogs of the economy turning. We know the rich such as the monarchy keep their wealth in land, and income producing assets so it doesn't matter what the currency is - most of us don't really keep a lot of it anyway.

When this stops happening (the working, the spending, paying the monthly payments on our car/house/credit card), then we might see the end of the Dollar, the Euro, the Pound and something else introduced etc.

Forex is one thing I don't really follow. Yes currencies come and go but these things take so long, it's just not worth trying to figure these things out.

They know gold is a threat, but they can run it up and crash it down again, which will put the rebellious anti-establishment gold bulls back to sleep again for another 10 years. It's probably the same with Bitcoin, but the cycle is much shorter. We just need to see when these sectors get hot and try to ride the wave.

19 hours ago, 5min OCD speculator said:

I'm not really "trading" as most of my buys have been to buy and hold for the long term (8-10) years.  I've been following @DurhamBorn's deflation thread in which the contrarian investor buys unloved shares which should do well in a reflation as that's where we're headed.  His ideas appeal to me as the macro environment probably affects the markets more than most people are aware.  He's done amazingly with his road-map,  with his dollar calls and predictions re gold/silver miners spot-on.  This "behind-the-scenes" approach makes a lot of sense otherwise I may as well more or less guess which shares will do well!

However for a bit of spice I also look at short-term "bets" so it's interesting to see what effect the news has etc eg recent Synairgen/Kodak.  If I was quicker off the mark I could have made a few bob on those:)

I think it was beginner's luck with POG and I've probably sold too soon...........:D

3 hours ago, Malthus said:

Always find the posts interesting and informative 

I’m about even this year and have just about withdrawn from the market for a while, feeling very bearish with no end to the lockdowns and virus in sight 

Thank you, and to everyone who has been positive.

The reason I created this poll, is that I feel that my motivation to post is coming to a close - I don't know why. Maybe I getting old!

---

Your name is most fitting, almost Malthusian!

7 hours ago, 201p said:

Thank you, and to everyone who has been positive.

The reason I created this poll, is that I feel that my motivation to post is coming to a close - I don't know why. Maybe I getting old!

---

Your name is most fitting, almost Malthusian!

Cheers , the current situation is why I picked the name many years ago on the the other side 

I’ve always had the feeling that the massive population rise since WW2 was inviting a visit from the 4 horse men 

I hope you do keep posting your thoughts and insights on the market, I haven’t bought based on them but do find it very interesting 👍

Agreed. Good posts 201p. I think. A more general view of your opinion if where we are in the big pictures, ie indexes might help. 

Stocks, my timing usually suck, I picked the top correctly, got some puts, made a few quid, then bought calls too soon and got decimated. 

Gold I held for a while, but sold at the top of the stock Market long before the gold run started. 

I've made money on bitcoin and alt coins and property( not realised but free banking printing money bonuses), but these are long term buy and hold investments, crypto and somewhere to live. 

Edited by Green Devil

Here's a except from Trade like a Shark from Robbie burns - if you can make 10% a year, you're doing really well, which compares well to the world top CAGR list I posted elsewhere. I recommend this book as a nice easy read.

1.thumb.jpg.d36e127836a51831c0ebef9d19b2429a.jpg

My percentage return has been good for 2020.  But I have never been more miserable. I am facing difficult challenges at work, and coming to a cross roads.

I don't have enough capital to stick two fingers up and walk away completely, and don't want to take bigger risks to get to the final destination quicker.

I just have to realise what I do has value, and it will be valued where ever I go if that happens.

^And probably why I made this thread also.

17 minutes ago, 201p said:

Here's a except from Trade like a Shark from Robbie burns - if you can make 10% a year, you're doing really well, which compares well to the world top CAGR list I posted elsewhere. I recommend this book as a nice easy read.

1.thumb.jpg.d36e127836a51831c0ebef9d19b2429a.jpg

My percentage return has been good for 2020.  But I have never been more miserable. I am facing difficult challenges at work, and coming to a cross roads.

I don't have enough capital to stick two fingers up and walk away completely, and don't want to take bigger risks to get to the final destination quicker.

I just have to realise what I do has value, and it will be valued where ever I go if that happens.

For the last 5 years, if you'd just bought bitcoin youd be up 10% a year and some (unless you bought the top of the bubble in 2018). Sometimes less analysis is better, dollar cost averaging in buy and hold.

On 10/08/2020 at 08:44, 201p said:

But I have never been more miserable. I am facing difficult challenges at work, and coming to a cross roads.

Sounds like the `Honeymoon` period is over at your current employer (realistically it only lasts for 6-12 months and then you are taken for granted), and it's time to find a new `lover`.

Edited by MrXxxx