DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Horror novel identification

I've been trying to track down a horror novel I read - most likely - in the late 1980s.

Which means it's likely to be James Herbert or Stephen King but searches haven't turned anything up.

It involves an unidentified little mannequin style character that runs around killing people. A bit like Child's Play except I don't remember it being a doll as such. I don't really remember much about it at all.

Any ideas..

4 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I've been trying to track down a horror novel I read - most likely - in the late 1980s.

Which means it's likely to be James Herbert or Stephen King but searches haven't turned anything up.

It involves an unidentified little mannequin style character that runs around killing people. A bit like Child's Play except I don't remember it being a doll as such. I don't really remember much about it at all.

Any ideas..

Was there more than one

15 minutes ago, horridbloke said:

Possibly a Shaun Hutson effort?

LOL just the name Shaun Hutson makes me laugh. Dog eared copies of  his novels were passed around school, as I recall. The 'plots' such as they were of most of his books seemed to be people having sex then being killed in gruesome ways by slugs/demons/sharks/killer snails/haunted wombats etc.

37 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Any ideas..

I know you said novel.

Could you be mistaken for the Donald Sutherland movie, Don't Look Now?

It has a similar creepy cretin, running amok and killing folk. Yes its the 70's, possible?Screenshot_20200729-213906.thumb.png.09987abae2e7355b73f210ca20bccffc.png

Edited by The Grey Man

Definitely a novel. I'm getting to the stage where some memories are so distant that I hesitate to rely on them.

For example I think it had a one word title but I suspect I'm confusing that with Herbert's novel Sepulchre.

I don't recall where the litte character comes from nor what happens to it. I only remember it hiding, then jumping out and killing people.

My Herbert novels are long gone from teen years. I know I read most..mid 80's dont recall such a description.  But DTM...like you..not sure of the memory!

Not to derail...ok a bit...The Dark by Herbert was my favorite.

Was going to get my son last year for holiday reading, at 15, figured the graphic sex killings were beyond him so didnt.

I read at 15..bloody parents.

Edited by The Grey Man
10 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

I know you said novel.

Could you be mistaken for the Donald Sutherland movie, Don't Look Now?

It has a similar creepy cretin, running amok and killing folk. Yes its the 70's, possible?Screenshot_20200729-213906.thumb.png.09987abae2e7355b73f210ca20bccffc.png

Stokie would.

52 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I think there was only one.

It's not much to go on, is it.

That sounds like some drama I saw on Channel 4 early one morning a couple of decades ago. Some man, moulded from clay with red eyes climbing up a drainpipe (and possibly falling off) is all I can remember about it. Certainly can't find any info about it. 

26 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Definitely a novel. I'm getting to the stage where some memories are so distant that I hesitate to rely on them.

For example I think it had a one word title but I suspect I'm confusing that with Herbert's novel Sepulchre.

I don't recall where the litte character comes from nor what happens to it. I only remember it hiding, then jumping out and killing people.

Chuckie.

James Bulger killers watched the film. No idea if it was a book

28 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

My Herbert novels are long gone from teen years. I know I read most..mid 80's dont recall such a description.  But DTM...like you..not sure of the memory!

Not to derail...ok a bit...The Dark by Herbert was my favorite.

Was going to get my son last year for holiday reading, at 15, figured the graphic sex killings were beyond him so didnt.

I read at 15..bloody parents.

The Dark was very good,  because it was quite metaphysical for a trashy horror novel. There were no monster or ghouls just...well...some darkness! The only thing I can think of that comes close in terms of metaphysical horror is that film Event Horizon.That's the last film I saw in the cinema whereupon returning home I turned on all the lights in the house. It's one of the few films that captured that sense of absolute fear that I've had when waking from a nightmare that is without form, just pure terror.

Edited by Austin Allegro
44 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

I was just wondering today what had become of Mark.

I've been incredibly busy with work. The COVID thing has seen every client wanting to spend money on their website or SEO or marketing or all three to try to recoup losses. So I've had the most frantic three months ever. Will help with furnishing the flat :)

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

The scary mannequin Got him but thankfully, he managed to escape long enough to reach out to the dosbods massive for help.  o.O

This question has been bugging me for about a year. I forget about it and then memories return. At this point I suspect it's less about re-reading the novel and more about validating the memories I think I have.

49 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

The Dark was very good,  because it was quite metaphysical for a trashy horror novel. There were no monster or ghouls just...well...some darkness! The only thing I can think of that comes close in terms of metaphysical horror is that film Event Horizon.That's the last film I saw in the cinema whereupon returning home I turned on all the lights in the house. It's one of the few films that captured that sense of absolute fear that I've had when waking from a nightmare that is without form, just pure terror.

Try Michelle Paver - Dark Matter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Matter_(Paver_novel)