• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Barlow

Keeping Hens (for eggs)

OH has been whinging for chickens for years.  The trouble is we have foxes occasionally wandering round the garden in broad daylight, let alone at night.  Neither could we despatch them, so would end up with geriatric chickens sitting on the sofa with the dogs when it was cold or they were poorly.

(We're not the same with people as we are animals, unfortunately).

7 hours ago, Gloommonger said:

I've considered hens for a while. What are the best methods of despatching the sick ones?

https://www.hsa.org.uk/neck-dislocation/manual

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=8581.0

images. 

They don't fight when they're sick.

Kicking a cock that's getting too aggressive with a dog is entirely another matter.

10 hours ago, Gloommonger said:

I've considered hens for a while. What are the best methods of despatching the sick ones?

This is good. With Sarahs help we need to build these self sufficiency skills for DOSBODS Island. 

An opportunity to fly the flag

DOSBODS ISLAND.jpg

Edited by Kurt Barlow

2 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

This is good. With Sarahs help we need to build these self sufficiency skills for DOSBODS Island. 

An opportunity to fly the flag

I am not sure I could kill anything bigger. I'd think about it.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Probably actually the first question is just how much do you like eggs?

We're having omelette for tea. Or boiled eggs and toast. Or fried egg sandwich. Or ... you get the idea.

This.

I currently have 60 eggs in the fridge and 40+ chicks that hens have been covertly hatching.

If anyone wants game chickens or guinea fowl, let me know!

4 hours ago, reformed nice guy said:

This.

I currently have 60 eggs in the fridge and 40+ chicks that hens have been covertly hatching.

If anyone wants game chickens or guinea fowl, let me know!

Aren't quail noisy? I'd love some but would have to have them in the garden

On 31/07/2020 at 09:19, Gloommonger said:

If you get rescued battery hens you will find the poor old girls will suddenly die on you in less then 6 months of getting them,they certainly will have a better life with the few weeks you give them then where they have come from,

Best to get them from a breeder at the point of lay, in regards to dispatching them, we have never had the heart to end it fast, but hens do seem to leave this mortal coil fast from are experience,sad as it is

I heard a radio interview with a guy that bought battery hens and then raised them free range organic. He said that they freaked out for the first 2 weeks, not used to the freedom.

12 hours ago, jm51 said:

I heard a radio interview with a guy that bought battery hens and then raised them free range organic. He said that they freaked out for the first 2 weeks, not used to the freedom.

They need wooly jumpers sometimes too. 

13 hours ago, ninjaborrower said:

If you get rescued battery hens you will find the poor old girls will suddenly die on you in less then 6 months of getting them,they certainly will have a better life with the few weeks you give them then where they have come from,

Best to get them from a breeder at the point of lay, in regards to dispatching them, we have never had the heart to end it fast, but hens do seem to leave this mortal coil fast from are experience,sad as it is

This is pretty much what happened to my ex-battery hens, I got three. One died the next day presumably due to shock, the other two were dead after 4-5 months. I thought it was me being an amateur and not feeding them properly or something at the time, only later realising it's common. I might try ex battery hens next but would only get a couple.

This is genuinely what they look like.

exbatteryhenchickens_lily__when_rescued_

Before and after, 6 weeks later.

How anyone can treat animals like this is beyond my simple comprehension.

4 hours ago, spunko said:

This is pretty much what happened to my ex-battery hens, I got three. One died the next day presumably due to shock, the other two were dead after 4-5 months. I thought it was me being an amateur and not feeding them properly or something at the time, only later realising it's common. I might try ex battery hens next but would only get a couple.

This is genuinely what they look like.

exbatteryhenchickens_lily__when_rescued_

Before and after, 6 weeks later.

How anyone can treat animals like this is beyond my simple comprehension.

That's exceptionally poor condition. I have seen a fair number of the #rescues#. Maybe they only rescue the more feathery ones round here, or maybe people have been lucky. Chickens moult, but that's excessive. 

30 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

That's exceptionally poor condition. I have seen a fair number of the #rescues#. Maybe they only rescue the more feathery ones round here, or maybe people have been lucky. Chickens moult, but that's excessive. 

mine looked exactly like this... maybe you are thinking of free range rescues which are more common. The chicken above is from an enriched aka battery farm.

When I'm on my old phone I'll upload the photos.