DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

28 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

Makes sense though. It's just not necessary any more. But I agree, end of an era. Nothing more fun as a kid than leafing through the toys section.

Not so sure, think that is a mistake, yes they get picked up from store and people not so likely to visit the store but they have the whole deign and production infrastructure sorted for the catalogue think they would gain enough sales and keep more customers by sending the catalogues out - regardless of whether some use internet ordering only or not. Plus they could do telephone ordering for those not internet savvy - there still are some and some that won't order anything in a browser.

22 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Kays catalogue when we were kids. That autumn one arriving was the stuff dreams were made of. Oh the hours we spent looking through all the annuals and toys and games. 
I believe boys looked at the Miss Mary of Sweden underwear. I suspect boys grew up thinking women had quite pointy boobs.

Don't they?

33 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Kays catalogue when we were kids. That autumn one arriving was the stuff dreams were made of. Oh the hours we spent looking through all the annuals and toys and games. 
I believe boys looked at the Miss Mary of Sweden underwear. I suspect boys grew up thinking women had quite pointy boobs.

Argos catalogue a little late in the day to get nostalgic about for me. You're right, up to about the age of eleven or so the arrival of the autumn/ winter catalogue ( John Moores in my case) was a major event. And then a major source of entertainment in the lead up to Christmas. Probably better than whatever you chose, anticipation is everything:S. The Miss Mary stuff later on obs.

Clearly a few of us catalogue saddos ended up on dosbods.

1985024307_9886(1).jpg.5a1d6e2062be1744369eb8cf2a715baf.jpg

47 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Not so sure, think that is a mistake, yes they get picked up from store and people not so likely to visit the store but they have the whole deign and production infrastructure sorted for the catalogue think they would gain enough sales and keep more customers by sending the catalogues out - regardless of whether some use internet ordering only or not. Plus they could do telephone ordering for those not internet savvy - there still are some and some that won't order anything in a browser.

free publicity in cancelling the catalogue and free publicity in bringing it back after "listening to our customers"

55 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Ah, I do miss a 70s full bush.

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Bras.

See thru bras.

4 hours ago, onlyme said:

3 million print run for the last edition suggests there's still huge demand for it. I suspect this is one of those PR exercises masking as a news story and they will quietly rescind on the idea after the "outrage".

Quick get down to Argos and grab a load.

They'll be valuable one day in the post apocalyptic future, when we are in mud huts, looking at old catalogues using candlelight.

Remember Waterworld?

image.thumb.png.101753a5725cf745e73c5c0f201ae472.png

^The last proper Christmas was in 2019........

5 hours ago, sarahbell said:

I think "looking at catalogues" was more an American thing.

As a young boy in the UK you have plenty of proper stuff to look at in the likes of the Sun, Mirror and Star. While there was page 3 back in the day the Sun and Star would have a good 5-6 pairs spread across the issue to look at.