• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Idiocrat

Edinburgh Fringe

I'm off up to Edinburgh later in the month, mainly because a good mate is performing stand-up. Haven't been to the Fringe in 20 years. A couple of things:

- Does anyone have any suggestions on what other shows/events to see whilst there? (adults, no kids in tow)

- Fuck me is it expensive!!! Not just accommodation (I'm in student residences but it's still not cheap, and hotels are £300+ a night!), but also flight and train costs are a complete jock!

Sorry, I haven't been looking at any of the festival stuff this year, too busy and no money. Download the Fringe brochure here :

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/royal-mile-terror-barriers-get-makeover-1-4524180

Have a look at flyers and posters as you are wandering about, speak to folk about good shows they have seen, hope you have a good time.

Oh, and make sure you don't miss our lovely terrorism barriers, they have been given a special festival makeover and look simply fabulous!

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/royal-mile-terror-barriers-get-makeover-1-4524180

Screenshot (18).png

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding the image so you don't have to go onto the horribly slow, advert laden page which it is on, the link is at the end of the post if you want it though

Town far too busy when it's on. Glad when they all fuck off. :Old:

Where you staying ? If I know the area I can provide boozer / wander ideas if your interested

6 minutes ago, ccc said:

Where you staying ? If I know the area I can provide boozer / wander ideas if your interested

Yeah, they do bring a fair bit of cash with them though, how much of that cash stays in town I do not know. It's a pain in the arse though if you are just trying to go about your business and need to go up town, that's for sure.

I can't provide any real current info on bars, pubs and boozers as I'm never out these days. I used to like La Belle Angele and Diane's though, that was years ago, before La Belle burnt down, they have rebuilt it though. Avoid "The Gunner" if they haven't knocked it down by now.

I would say take a wee bottle with you if you don't want to bankrupt yourself if drinking in plastic glass land (any festival venue).

I'm in Diane's on the occasional Sunday morning when I fancy it. Interestingcharacters in there. Ken Buchanan is a regular apparently. He's a bit fucked these days.

I booze in Leith mostly. Sometimes even the Spey lounge on a Saturday night. What a place. 

6 minutes ago, ccc said:

I'm in Diane's on the occasional Sunday morning when I fancy it. Interestingcharacters in there. Ken Buchanan is a regular apparently. He's a bit fucked these days.

I booze in Leith mostly. Sometimes even the Spey lounge on a Saturday night. What a place. 

Downstairs in Diane's or upstairs?

I think there is a distinction between bars, pubs and boozers, the Spey Lounge is definitely a boozer!

Do you live down towards Leith? I always thought (from reading stuff you had written on the other place) that you were somewhere out towards the west of the city?

Leith- great but I have found that you have to be really careful driving there- people just walk out into the road, like no other place in town!

1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

Don't forget pubs are open 'til 3 and clubs 'til 5 too.

Excellent, didn't know that. Only there one night so was thinking of a late night/allnighter anyway.

59 minutes ago, ccc said:

Staying on Potterow opposite the entrance to the University of Edinburgh campus.Just seen it's right next door to the mosque!

Any tips much appreciated. Am taking the (posh) burd so anywhere you suggest I must be able to order a Pimm's without being glassed! (nah, she's a game burd so a bit of character is good - she can drink some Heavy with me). 

10 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Excellent, didn't know that. Only there one night so was thinking of a late night/allnighter anyway.

Staying on Potterow opposite the entrance to the University of Edinburgh campus.Just seen it's right next door to the mosque!

Any tips much appreciated. Am taking the (posh) burd so anywhere you suggest I must be able to order a Pimm's without being glassed! (nah, she's a game burd so a bit of character is good - she can drink some Heavy with me). 

The massive mosque funded by..... yip you guessed it. That is a good part of town to be in for a festival visit though- right in amongst it all, everything will be walkable unless you want to go to the shore or out of town. I wouldn't even try to get a taxi up town, everything is slow as fuck at this time of year.

I think you could probably order a Pimms anywhere in the festival without being glassed, don't try it in a boozer or anywhere CCC recommends though, it would probably be fine but I wouldn't attempt it myself!

:D

A beer to try while you are up here, you can maybe now buy it in Englandshire though :

295326275bf049cab75077000a8c0d65.jpg

It's lovely but is brewed in Alloa though, an Edinburgh beer would be this :

I_G_LR_-_Original_330ml_Amber_1024x1024.

Fucking horrible though I think! They do other "flavours" now though, so maybe one of them might be ok.

Be warned that lots of the festival venues (Pleasance for example) will have Fosters, and/or Red Stripe.

:Sick1:

Oh, and if you see a witch or Yoda floating with nothing underneath them, don't get too excited- it's a trick!

Anyway, hope you have fun!

Edited by Carl Fimble
idiocy

25 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Downstairs in Diane's or upstairs?

I think there is a distinction between bars, pubs and boozers, the Spey Lounge is definitely a boozer!

Do you live down towards Leith? I always thought (from reading stuff you had written on the other place) that you were somewhere out towards the west of the city?

Leith- great but I have found that you have to be really careful driving there- people just walk out into the road, like no other place in town!

I'm from the west but stay down Leith way these days. I went for lunch and a wander on Leith walk today. My lord. The sheer quality of scum around was incredible. Entire families of it !!

Downstairs Diane's. Only rarely though. 

9 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Mmm not too sure of that end of town. Absolutely loads of festival shit up that way so seeing you're here for the one night you could probably just do all that stuff ? It's annoying when you stay here but probably good fun if here on a trip. 

I think George Square up that way has loads of pop up type bar places.

You're not far from grass market which will be mayhem but good fun. 

The beehive has a cracking beer garden out the back just under the castle of the weather is nice. During the afternoon they usually have free comedy shows on upstairs too. I'm seen some class acts there. 

Enjoy. 

Edinburgh Gold or Paolozzi are nice lagers imo. "Craft" whatever that means but actually not too overly hoppy and you can drink them in quantity no bother.

A nice ice cold pint of Tennents is my choice though. Very under rated. I'm supping this right now. 

IMG_20170807_173724922.jpg

5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

How about a hilarious sketch show put on big a load of trainey DRs.

Thats all I seemed to see when i went my one and only year. We were looking for Sadowich.

Jerry Sadowitz is there this year :

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/jerry-sadowitz-comedian-magician-psychopath

I would go to see him, even though I embarrassed myself when I bumped into him years back- see some other thread on here for details...

.... this one :

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding my embarrassing Celebs you have met post

8 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Innes and Gunn, are holy words. Do not speak them lightly, for once I lived in Scotchland. :o

Indeed.

Young Carl's taste-buds will eventually mature enough to appreciate is caramel and vanilla notes.

And it's healthy 6.6% abv...!

Top notch beer, from the land of the ginger...

;)

XYY

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

How about a hilarious sketch show put on big a load of trainey DRs.

Thats all I seemed to see when i went my one and only year. We were looking for Sadowich.

I already saw that show when I went to A&E earlier this year! I'm not sure they were trainees though.

I saw Sadowitch a few years ago. Some drink bloke in the audience was giving him jip. Jerry was going to get a bottle and glass him. The bloke was dragged out. It could have been a set up but seemed real.

He also did jokes about Pakis and Muslims. Oh and Jimmy Savile.

Very funny. 

20 minutes ago, ccc said:

I'm from the west but stay down Leith way these days. I went for lunch and a wander on Leith walk today. My lord. The sheer quality of scum around was incredible. Entire families of it !!

Downstairs Diane's. Only rarely though. 

Mmm not too sure of that end of town. Absolutely loads of festival shit up that way so seeing you're here for the one night you could probably just do all that stuff ? It's annoying when you stay here but probably good fun if here on a trip. 

I think George Square up that way has loads of pop up type bar places.

You're not far from grass market which will be mayhem but good fun. 

The beehive has a cracking beer garden out the back just under the castle of the weather is nice. During the afternoon they usually have free comedy shows on upstairs too. I'm seen some class acts there. 

Enjoy. 

Wait.... You're not... a weedgie are you?

Only joking, I can tell you are not, I'm sorry for even insinuating it.

Downstairs Diane's- you are a braver man than me! I have drunk downstairs but normally would be upstairs. Leith is great for scum, I spend a fair bit of time down that way so know from experience. Did you ever meet the old guy who wandered about dressed as a cowboy, shooting his plastic guns at folk? He was a Leith institution!

20 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Innes and Gunn, are holy words. Do not speak them lightly, for once I lived in Scotchland. :o

I'm sorry Mr Pin, it just doesn't do it for me. I will try not to take their name in vain again though.

17 minutes ago, ccc said:

Edinburgh Gold or Paolozzi are nice lagers imo. "Craft" whatever that means but actually not too overly hoppy and you can drink them in quantity no bother.

A nice ice cold pint of Tennents is my choice though. Very under rated. I'm supping this right now. 

IMG_20170807_173724922.jpg

Ah, Paolozzi from that Edinburgh Brewery next to Screwfix! I would like to go there one day :

http://edinburghbeerfactory.co.uk/

Tennents is alright, cheap too, which appeals to me and my tiny little wallet.

That pint you posted looks lovely too!

3 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Indeed.

Young Carl's taste-buds will eventually mature enough to appreciate is caramel and vanilla notes.

And it's healthy 6.6% abv...!

Top notch beer, from the land of the ginger...

;)

XYY

You may be correct, it will take me years to get to that point though, I barely drink at all nowadays. A 6.6% beer I would feel too, even if they do sell it in pishy little bottles.

Yes my local when I stayed on Leith walk was the Leith cowboys local too. Meridian ? Very bad rep but class pints and constant amusement. Now it's some wanky real ale music venue.