DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sleepless nights

Suffered all my life. But old age is making it worse...tried prescription pills. Worked but so difficult getting off them.

Anyone have any unconventional ideas of light sedation other than alcohol..

Tried antihistamine based pills but the side effects are awful.

Getting four hours a night wears you down.

17 minutes ago, RJT1979 said:

Diazepane if taken once every few months

Yep, something like Oxazepam taken for a short course can help you to get your natural sleep cycle back. Doctors are handing them out like smarties at the moment re the virus so probably easier to get hold of.

You might find that just one or two over a couple of nights is ideal to get you back to sleep. The thing to do is to take one early enough so that it begins to kick in by the time you wish to sleep. For example, if you want to be asleep by 10PM then take one at around 5 - 6PM.

Edited by The Masked Tulip
typo, found one, can't be arsed looking for more.
14 minutes ago, RJT1979 said:

Diazepane if taken once every few months

Cheers bud.

7 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Yep, something like Oxazepam taken for a short course can help you to get your natural sleep cycle back. Doctors are handing them out like smarties at the moment re the virus so probably easier to get hold off.

You might find that just one or two over a couple of nights is ideal to get you back to sleep. The thing to do is to take one early enough so that it begins to kick in by the time you wish to sleep. For example, if you want to be asleep by 10PM then take one at around 5 - 6PM.

Thanks mate. I'll look into it.

• No caffeine (Tea, Coffee, etc) after 3PM

• No Food after 7PM. In fact, try to limit all eating in a 24-hour period to a four-hour window of your choosing to perform the famous Intermittent Fast. 3pm to 7 pm is a good way to start.

• Walk at least a mile every day, rain or shine.

• Choose one bad news site and read only that one. Have you heard of Dosbods? Get rid of all others you may frequently check. Reading mass media 'Unhappy Meals' served up every hour will only make you fat and miserable.

• Cut off Dosbods after 7pm. Read a good book instead. Or listen to audiobooks.

• Take a hot bath with a cup of Magnesium flakes dissolved in it. Soak for half an hour. Then rinse briefly in cool water and go to bed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNESIUM-FLAKES-5KG-BAG-100-Pure-Bath-Soak-Magnesium-Chloride/142676402265

• Our topsoil has been raped of magnesium over the past fifty years due to intensive farming practices so we do not get what we need from our produce anymore so you can also top up and get a good night's sleep with Magnesium L Threonate:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnesium-L-Threonate-500mg-Capsules-Bioavailable-Form-for-the-Brain/262451976194

• After age twenty our brains lose glycine at a rate of 5 to 8% a decade, hence anyone over fifty developing trouble sleeping through the night; incorporate pork gelatine into your life, the glycine in it will knock you out cold. The gelatine will cushion your joints. The pork factor is rebelliously haram. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gelatine-powder-Gelatin-powder-Gelatin-Art-Pork-gelatine-240-bloom-100g-to-5Kg/273203315596?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=572478594633&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• 1 tablespoon stirred into one pint of cold water, let it bloom for 40 minutes, then heat gently until it's clear (medium heat for about four minutes, you just want it to melt, not be steaming hot.)

• Your bedroom should be a dead zone: no wifi, no phone, no tv on standby or monitor on sleep mode. Try to have as little light as possible. Use blackout curtains and buy a floor fan and aim it at the ceiling. White noise is just what you need. For that matter lose the wifi entirely. Hardwire everything instead. Get a curly cord phone, no base station phone. If you share a common wall with someone put metal screen up for a makeshift faraday cage to keep their evil rays out of your bedroom. If your window faces a cell mast, do the same with the metal screen. Metal bug screen is fine.

• I'm not a fan of organised religion, though I recommend you select a spiritual practise—or even better design your own; something that makes you feel hopeful and uplifted, something that gets you accustomed to finding goodness and beauty, because it serves the people who run the world to have you not believe in God. They certainly do, though they worship the devil.

Edited by Conniption
don't be enslaved to pharmaceuticals
1 hour ago, Panda said:

Walking 30 mile aweek mostly by the sea or in pollution free parks.

Is it enough to tire you? That would exhaust some but would be nothing to others. Do more if necessary so you’re physically tired (the mental tiredness won’t help), eat little or nothing in the evening and try melatonin (but online). If you’re in a position to do so, have more sex (wanking doesn’t work as well)

Good luck. 

2 hours ago, Conniption said:

• No Food after 7PM. In fact, try to limit all eating in a 24-hour period to a four-hour window of your choosing to perform the famous Intermittent Fast. 3pm to 7 pm is a good way to start.

Huge no-no from me.

If I'm hungry I can barely sleep at all.

Always have a big meal late at night.

e.g. Last night I had a huge lard fry up just before bedtime. Slept for 10 hours.

Never worry if I've eaten too much as when I have, I tend to feel less hungry in the morning and have a smaller breakfast, or even skip it altogether.

I suffer a bit too.  Mainly can't go back to sleep once awake at 03:00 or 04:00.  I posted on another thread (and was told the opposite) but I've found taking my daily vitamin D3/K2 tablet before bed is helping.  Maybe just co-incidence due to something else but there is some natter about it on the internet.  If I do wake up, I tend to fall back to sleep.  So currently works for me.  Alcohol within four hours of bedtime is a big no-no though as I'm guaranteed to wake up anytime from 01:00 onwards. 

Edited by Harley
51 minutes ago, Syd Germs said:

That'll give me reflux and wake me up like a shot, although that silicate stuff is good.  Maybe I even got reflux doing just that when I was younger!

1 hour ago, Syd Germs said:

Huge no-no from me.

If I'm hungry I can barely sleep at all.

e.g. Last night I had a huge lard fry up just before bedtime. Slept for 10 hours.

Never worry if I've eaten too much as when I have, I tend to feel less hungry in the morning and have a smaller breakfast, or even skip it altogether.

It sounds as though you are either very young or are eating the wrong things from the moment you awaken. Either way, fair enough. It will catch up with you sooner or later.

Edited by Conniption
tried to add a smiley to soften the blow
4 minutes ago, Conniption said:

You sound as though you are very young or are eating the wrong things from the moment you awaken. Either way, fair enough. It will catch up with you sooner or later.

Mid sixties, 6ft and 12st.

Nothing wrong with lard and fry ups.

As I posted on another thread, it's a Big Fat Lie.

16 minutes ago, Syd Germs said:

Mid sixties, 6ft and 12st.

Nothing wrong with lard and fry ups.

As I posted on another thread, it's a Big Fat Lie.

15 minutes ago, Conniption said:

Dang, Bubba. God really does love you.

I don't care if my arteries are furred up or not.

If it has to taste like muesli, I'm not with the programme.

"BMI" is apparently perfect at a slim 6'2".

I've never suffered. But I do remember reading years ago that lettuce is a natural soporific. I didn't think much more about it until one random experience where I ate pretty much a whole head of lettuce in one sitting and shortly thereafter had to fight the urge to nod off fairly early in the evening.

I used to suffer from terrible insomnia.

Since learning and practicing meditation in the Buddhist tradition I can now usually settle my mind by ignoring all the thoughts that pop in my head. Very useful for getting to sleep. I focus on my breath and repeating the word sleep in my mind. Took a long time to work but worth persevering with in my opinion.

However I am prescribed two Valium per week that are doled out by a relative. Originally prescribed for my insomnia about 10 years ago. I used to take two one night but now take one on two nights and even save them up sometimes (unknown to relative). I know I shouldn’t really keep doing it but they do effortlessly knock me out. I haven’t saved any since the lockdown restrictions. 

I take 400mg of 5-HTP a night, it is the only thing I have noted that works (and I've tried everything). I believe that dose is way higher than the recommended too but if it helps me sleep I genuinely don't give a f**k. I ran out recently as forgot to stock up, perhaps coincidence and the placebo effect but I had 2 nights of horrendous "sleep" i.e. none. I have occasionally come off it for one reason or another and then gone back on it, I found going back on causes extremely lucid dreams for a few nights before it settles down and "back to normal". Just my experience with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been taking one night nurse pill per night. An Antihistamine which does cloud ones judgement the following day. Not great but only a short term fix as the side effects ain't great especially when taken with a few too many pints.

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

28 minutes ago, Panda said:

I have been taking one night nurse pill per night. An Antihistamine which does cloud ones judgement the following day. Not great but only a short term fix as the side effects ain't great especially when taken with a few too many pints.

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

I’ve not slept properly for years. Got rid of the controlling ex and slowly, I’m rediscovering a good nights sleep. Are you happy in your life?  Seriously think about it.