Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Nippy said:

Does MrPin make any sense? But we have to put up with him because it is the Odd Sods law.

I answer to a higher power.:Old: It was a serious comment. I am renewing my vehicle insurance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, jm51 said:

My guess is that bikers do less 3rd party damage than car drivers.

In all the years since I passed my test, I've never faced a "third-party" claim. 

Mind, I'm usually too pissed to drive after the second fucking party...

 

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jm51 said:

My guess is that bikers do less 3rd party damage than car drivers.

Exactly. 

The majority of the premium is to cover 3rd party claims. It's why there's generally not much difference between TPFT and fully comp. Come to think if it... Can you even get TPFT these days? Was quite common at one point but haven't heard of it for years. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Different companies have different risk matrices.

My mother does less than a thousand miles a year; some quotes are huge (doesn't drive enough, more likely to have an accident) and others cheap (drives very little - less chance of an accident).

It's down to you to find the insurer that likes your risk profile.

You will find most will cost less if you drive less 

I always swapped around and always went with the standard 12k a year but in reality i would always do almost double that ,then my renewal would be much higher hence moving to a new insurer then my speedo started to only work intermittently so my mileage stayed low my renewal never increased in fact and it is the first time ever it went down by six quid one year  

I have a different car now which i fitted an intermittent switch to 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

You will find most will cost less if you drive less 

I always swapped around and always went with the standard 12k a year but in reality i would always do almost double that ,then my renewal would be much higher hence moving to a new insurer then my speedo started to only work intermittently so my mileage stayed low my renewal never increased in fact and it is the first time ever it went down by six quid one year  

I have a different car now which i fitted an intermittent switch to 

It's more that there is a sweet spot of about 6k - 12k.  Mine went down ?£30 this year when I dropped from 20,000 to 12,000.

If somebody has a classic then low mileage comes with the territory, cherished car used on quiet Sundays in the summer, but usually driving 1k a year in a normal car is going to cost more in insurance than for someone driving 6k. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

 

If somebody has a classic then low mileage comes with the territory, cherished car used on quiet Sundays in the summer, but usually driving 1k a year in a normal car is going to cost more in insurance than for someone driving 6k. 

Yes i always had a limited mileage policy on my camper van 5K, i think last time i insured it, it was just over £200 with breakdown cover but that was 3 year ago 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

If somebody has a classic then low mileage comes with the territory, cherished car used on quiet Sundays in the summer,

Yes, my 5 litre Mustang got very cheap insurance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you insuring someone else on your car?

Adding my GF added 50% to my premium, which was also 50% of what it cost to insure her her very own car! Removed her as she has her own car and can drive mine with third party cover for the very few times she needs to.

Motorbike insurance was weird for me... my premium went up 50% in my second year of having my 125... presumably because I was still on L plates. Sacked it off.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I moved to my current digs I rented a council lock-up garage for the first year. Built in the 1960s, they were very narrow so only suitable for motorcycles (and sidecars), Minis, Morris Minors and anything that was quite narrow. Gave it up after a year as I was stuggling to get in and out of the car when it was parked + I buggered up the wing mirrors badly one December day when I wasn't paying 100% attention (probably mental health related - concentration goes to shit when that happens).

I digress. The en bloc garage was on the next road to where I live and thus a slightly different postcode. It cost more to insure my car when it was garaged than parked outside my block in the residential car park! I think it was down to the fact that there were more insurance claims in the garage postcode area. Still wierd though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's easy to get the price down if you're using a price comparison type service... I have finely tuned it now and it's a bit of an art form. I insure my pokey V6 for £400 a year, and my little 125cc bike for £125.

Change your job to "librarian" and say you park on the road... these seem to reduce it by about 50%. :Jumping:

 

 

And don't forget you're "widowed" now...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/08/2020 at 09:32, Roger_Mellie said:

Exactly. 

The majority of the premium is to cover 3rd party claims. It's why there's generally not much difference between TPFT and fully comp. Come to think if it... Can you even get TPFT these days? Was quite common at one point but haven't heard of it for years. 

I've noticed for the past 7-8 years that while you can get TPFT it's almost never worth the bother, a couple of quid (literally) the difference between that and fully comp. No doubt if I drove a nicer car it might be different but for a vast majority of people it wouldn't be that different.

As you say, doesn't matter what the state of your car is if you rear-end a Rolls Royce. It's what you are crashing in to that matters, not what you are crashing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As for bikes, I suspect their vulnerability means that bike riders are far less likely to have a crash involving somebody else.

Bike accident stats are high, but anecdotally it's less crashing in to somebody else and more a rider coming off after a risky avoidance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/08/2020 at 09:27, spunko said:

Change your job to "librarian" and say you park on the road... these seem to reduce it by about 50%. :Jumping:

Surely parking on a drive would reduce it more than on the road? Or am I missing a trick? O.o

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LC1 said:

Surely parking on a drive would reduce it more than on the road? Or am I missing a trick? O.o

No. Try it, it reduces it, because people that say they do the rest i.e. "park in a secure garage every night" are lying.

With insurance/underwriting, it's quite often that the options you think will put the price up, actually knock it down a bit.

Their algorithms are pretty intense. Apparently using a @gmail.com email address versus a @hotmail.com address reduces the price slightly, because you're less likely to be a victim of ID theft as you're more tech savvy. etc etc

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spunko said:

No. Try it, it reduces it, because people that say they do the rest i.e. "park in a secure garage every night" are lying.

With insurance/underwriting, it's quite often that the options you think will put the price up, actually knock it down a bit.

Their algorithms are pretty intense. Apparently using a @gmail.com email address versus a @hotmail.com address reduces the price slightly, because you're less likely to be a victim of ID theft as you're more tech savvy. etc etc

I can't believe that bit about gmail etc. For that to be true there would have to be statistics related to the factor and I can't imagine domain name of email address would turn out to have much of an influence compared to everything else. It would almost certainly be noise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I can't believe that bit about gmail etc. For that to be true there would have to be statistics related to the factor and I can't imagine domain name of email address would turn out to have much of an influence compared to everything else. It would almost certainly be noise.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/01/email-addresses-can-affect-insurance-quotes-but-theres-more-ways-to-save-at-renewal/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...