DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I’ve come to the conclusion that the only time I’ve ever lived that I thought life would get better was the 80s .maybe i was young and  nieve since then it’s been sort of a sideways slide but at least no warnings about how to hide from nuclear weapons on tv and aids did not kill everyone that had sex .i miss the decade of decadence it was fun .

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There had been a big spirit of optimism since the end of the war mostly driven by technological development; when you read sci fi from the 50s and 60s in particular they were expecting some fundamenta

Yes, Blair and Brown sowed the seeds carefully and placed their stooges everywhere important, but nothing was really implemented that would alert the people to what was happening until after the secon

I set off aged 6 in 1980. I recall my parents being very careful with cash, my dad would often take on "cash in hand" jobs after work and do a double week. My older brother spent two wasted years

True .think I passed my test in a metro and had owned 2 heralds before I passed my test the first had twin carbs it put my insurance up by 35 quid a lot of cash around 1982 .my dad wanted me to get my own insurance from

the off even he said wtf so I got another lol 

There did seem to be a lot of newsworthy events during the 80's. A lot of infrastructure was on its last legs and the boring reliability of computerised control systems hadn't quite arrived. Plus there was some genuine novelty in terms of entertainment that has now been thoroughly recycled and used up.

And of course we were all spectacularly naive about the World and ignorance is indeed bliss.

15 minutes ago, eight said:

Whilst Hillsborough and Lockerbie have remained cultural touchstones, such as the Clapham rail crash (35 dead) and even the Hungerford massacre (17 dead) have been largely forgotten. It was a pretty grim time really, seemed to be one thing after another from about 1985 up to the fall of the Berlin Wall.

I think Lockerbie has also faded from the collective memory.

I remember the Clapham rail crash because I used to travel that line, though not that train, and happened to have the Monday off so initially thought I'd dodged a bullet by so doing.

And also Hungerford / Michael Ryan because I knew somebody form Hungerford.

These things do fade unless there is some current controversy to bring them back to the fore.  I had to check with wiki to see what happened to Duckenfield and there was no punishment in the end.  Which may be fair because, whilst it was certainly his order to open the gates that directly caused the caused the deaths, he had no idea that this would result in deaths owing to his inexperience and the main blame instead lies with the stadium design not being changed after the standing areas were caged IMO.  I'm not a great fan of health and safety but somebody walking around with a clipboard doing a risk assessment would have spotted and highlighted what a huge risk the combination of layout of the entrances and fencing could be in the event of a late rush. 

On 28 November 2019, Duckenfield was found not guilty of gross negligence manslaughter.[195][196]

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I remember the Clapham rail crash because I used to travel that line, though not that train, and happened to have the Monday off so initially thought I'd dodged a bullet by so doing.

I know someone who was on the train that crashed, but near the back. He just walked up the bank and went to work. He said he was astounded later on when he found out that people had died, and that it didn’t seem like much from where he was.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't think I'd ever heard of Hungerford before the massacre, and would struggle to pick it out on a map now.

Probably the same way that people in the South feel about Barnard Castle

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Jobs weren't very secure, and getting a loan was a pain. I think money was tight in general, but then I was living in a shared house, so not that many outgoings.

I remember my parents taking me to the building society at around 1980, so that I'd have a record of being prudent by the time I'd need a mortgage around 1990.  And this wasn't being silly -- it really was important.

IMO it was more sensible, to have mechanisms that stopped you getting into large amounts of debt.

7 minutes ago, eight said:

I don't think I'd ever heard of Hungerford before the massacre, and would struggle to pick it out on a map now.

Probably the same way that people in the South feel about Barnard Castle

I must admit to not being terribly au fait with Barnard Castle beyond a visit to the Bowes museum and all I can recall of that is a big clockwork swan.

Just now, SNACR said:

I must admit to not being terribly au fait with Barnard Castle beyond a visit to the Bowes museum and all I can recall of that is a big clockwork swan.

I've never been. A few of daughter's friends go to the posh school next door.

From parts of Darlington it's "on the way" if you're travelling west but most people have no reason to visit.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I also blame John Major for being such a weak leader; his government was so riven and chaotic that they were not genuinely re-electable and any form of Labour was going to get in

The Tories never expected to win the 1992 General Election, and I think a good proportion didn't want to. Major was just a caretaker up until that point. Quite a lot of Tories were horrified when they did win as they knew the sleaze and in-fighting would just get worse. Ken Clarke did a good job on the deficit, but my readings on MMT so far suggest that if the government doesn't get itself into debt, then private individuals have to instead in order to sustain the money supply, and that is more costly socially and financially.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I was a probationary member of a pistol club and had the paperwork for my Section 1 application on the sideboard waiting to be filled in when I heard about Dunblane on the radio. Knew immediately there was no point filling it in.