DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Subjective Reality

Can hear the one looking t and if eyes closed hear the one thinking about, so probably standard response expected.

Often made the point with 3D / VR you only need about 80% of the information / censoring  correct and you can pretty much fool the mind completely, the brain fills in the blanks without us knowing it all the time,  peripheral vision is exceptionally poor but we seamlessly integrate it with our accurate area of vision to make it feel like we arable to observe far more than we actually can. 

All our reality is effectively subjective but we happen to run much the same algorithm. 

Edited by onlyme

ISTR old prof. Winston doing something similar on a beach in one of those 'Human Body' docutainment programmes he did. You heard a word either beginning with 't' or 'd' depending on what video was played, even though the sound clip was the same. It turned out we've all been lip reading since the year dot.

31 minutes ago, Nippy said:

ISTR old prof. Winston doing something similar on a beach in one of those 'Human Body' docutainment programmes he did. You heard a word either beginning with 't' or 'd' depending on what video was played, even though the sound clip was the same. It turned out we've all been lip reading since the year dot.

Did you mean the McGurk effect?

5 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

This is a bit of fun, like the blue/gold dress thing. It shows that you hear what you're expecting to hear.

Our experience of reality is not in and of itself direct objective reality.  It is far more than most people imagine an internal construct of our minds.

All I hear is "will you eat my pussy for me"

44 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

This should be hard to look at because your facial recognition program in your brain is desperately trying to resolve it properly.

I feel quite sick within fractions of a second from looking at that. I stopped looking at it a minute ago, and I still feel pressure in my ears and extra saliva production, like I'm going to puke. It's a really good brain hack. That could be used in riot control as a non-lethal weapon.

16 minutes ago, Nippy said:

I feel quite sick within fractions of a second from looking at that. I stopped looking at it a minute ago, and I still feel pressure in my ears and extra saliva production, like I'm going to puke. It's a really good brain hack. That could be used in riot control as a non-lethal weapon.

Sorry, mate.

Subjective reality is idiosyncratic to a very large extent in my opinion. My belief is that there are 8/9? billion people on planet earth all with an individual view about life. It’s all a mix of individual genetics, social experience and groups. Different groups mainly have never got on and never will. It’s the reason why increased pushing of globalisation and multiculturalism is doomed to fail regarding individual life quality.

Best way to go in my opinion is to embrace your unique life perspective/social circumstances and make the best of it and let others do the same. Sadly the world is full of people who can’t stand the basic thing that others don’t agree with them. The internet has ramped this up to alarming levels, in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

This should be hard to look at because your facial recognition program in your brain is desperately trying to resolve it properly.

466FF523-D816-4CA7-9945-D1AF38C752B5.jpeg

She’d like a god with two dicks

(don’t think that’s worked actually)

18 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

This is a bit of fun, like the blue/gold dress thing. It shows that you hear what you're expecting to hear.

Our experience of reality is not in and of itself direct objective reality.  It is far more than most people imagine an internal construct of our minds.

The original 'green needle/brainstorm' video was posted on the Internet in 2014. This video simply steals the audio from it. It's a shame the original creato doen't get the credit.

If you are the kind of person who just talks about the elephant in the room, this highlights just how weirdly humans are wired:

I think the real question is: do they know they’re lying to fit in, or do they become convinced by “public opinion” over what their own eyes are telling them?

Edited by Hail the Tripod
32 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

If you are the kind of person who just talks about the elephant in the room, this highlights just how weirdly humans are wired:

<Asch conformity experiment>

I think the real question is: do they know they’re lying to fit in, or do they become convinced by “public opinion” over what their own eyes are telling them?

Isn't this what being an SJW is based on? Giving the answer you think others want to hear? There's nothing new under the sun, The Emperor's New Clothes fairy tale dates back to the fourteenth century. We ought to be able to find examples of SJW behaviour going back in history. What has changed to make the problem so bad, today? Maybe it is the number of people you can influence or be influenced by from social media?