DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Stocking up: get them while they're still hot^h^h^h legal

Various posts have referenced outre material such as "The Dambusters" B&W film.
With the BLM cultural destruction, we had six Magic The Gathering cards being withdrawn. I tried to snaffle some up, but they were already selling for £100s.

I though a list of predictions would be good so we could either invest, or stock up. For personal enjoyment,  I might buy the complete 'Minder' on DVD. I reckon Fiddler on the Roof and Oliver might go soon. I've got my CD copy of George Formby peering through windows, and singing about the Hindoo Howdoo Hoodoo Yoodoo man.
What do you think will be memory-holed soon, and what might be a sound investment?

Edited by Nippy
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Good , the Bad a the Ugly will be renamed The Privileged, the Oppressed and the Aesthetically  Challenged.  

Gran Torino is a good bet. And they will ban it as they are too thick to understand it. Great film.

A remake doesn't bear thinking about..

Posted Images

6 hours ago, MrPin said:

I got the whole set of "Dukes of Hazzard" about a year back. It was hard to find, and all the boxes are in French. Pretty harmless Sunday afternoon entertainment. I don't think the writers were involved in any "white power" shit....

image.png.5b775fa0f0319767ce75fbecf5d68146.png

11 hours ago, Libspero said:

Till death do us part..  not sure if they would bother banning it though,  probably not well enough known any more to be on anyone’s radar.

It would be incomprehensible to most people not because it is non PC but because it is full of references to people of the time like the Soviet Foreign Minister Kosygin.

1 hour ago, maynardgravy said:

image.png.5b775fa0f0319767ce75fbecf5d68146.png

Most excellent, does she have a bigger sister. There's not enough meat on that one. Bit mean really as she has a nice face, and I've seen much worse

10 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Vast bulk of all sci-fi and fantasy books. 

Yes. I've been buying as many as possible of the books I read voraciously in the 80s. If the content isn't "problematic" then the author probably said something racist in private conversation in 1932. Any excuse will be used.

A collegue is from a family of antique dealers and I'm always picking his brain about stuff out there.

He says that a lot of the black Americana (I think that includes golly wogs and the like) sell really well to black people in the US, obviously the ones with money especially.

Stuff like little black sambo maybe still worth holding.. It was probably not printed when I was a kid but still had the hand me down books.  Don't think the books were ever had good quality binding and no doubt the black sambo was printed by the million so not exactly rare.  I just checked online and you can get a 60s one for under £10 but see ones like black bobtail and black quibba are a fair bit more expensive no doubt less printed (I don't remember reading either).  

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/books/helen-bannerman/story-of-little-black-sambo/9780701100223

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

He says that a lot of the black Americana (I think that includes golly wogs and the like) sell really well to black people in the US, obviously the ones with money especially.

I have a box of pulp novels; I've been reading this one recently. I hear that some well known authors penned them, but under pseudonymns. If you know what to look for, a 10p paper back can become £100.

IMG.thumb.jpg.b0d55af2dc7331033d1f9e4100b65fe9.jpg

Edited by Nippy
1 hour ago, Dogtania said:

A collegue is from a family of antique dealers and I'm always picking his brain about stuff out there.

Stuff like little black sambo maybe still worth holding.. It was probably not printed when I was a kid but still had the hand me down books.  Don't think the books were ever had good quality binding and no doubt the black sambo was printed by the million so not exactly rare.  I just checked online and you can get a 60s one for under £10 but see ones like black bobtail and black quibba are a fair bit more expensive no doubt less printed (I don't remember reading either).  

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/books/helen-bannerman/story-of-little-black-sambo/9780701100223

I was 25 before I had a mango.

That little fucker sambo had loads as a kid. And a snake.

Black privilege.

1 hour ago, Nippy said:

I have a box of pulp novels; I've been reading this one recently. I hear that some well known authors penned them, but under pseudonymns. If you know what to look for, a 10p paper back can become £100.

IMG.thumb.jpg.b0d55af2dc7331033d1f9e4100b65fe9.jpg

Nice!  Will keep in mind. I guess the online marketplace pretty cornered now but worth knowing for car boot and the like

7 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I was 25 before I had a mango.

That little fucker sambo had loads as a kid. And a snake.

Black privilege.

Well I remember as a kid having a mango (probably mid- late 80s).  It was a big thing or so my memory recalls... Was brought by someone from the US probably and a novelty.  Always remember being told best way to eat was in the bath as so messy😅 sounds like we were the savages then.

16 hours ago, Libspero said:

Till death do us part..  not sure if they would bother banning it though,  probably not well enough known any more to be on anyone’s radar.

It’s still up on YouTube. I watched some of it recently and what surprised me was how sexist it is. Alf’s wife is regularly called a “Bloody Silly Moo”. I don’t even know what that means but I can’t imagine it would be tolerated today. I did find his hatred of the BBC quite amusing though.