DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

India to remove compulsory English

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Absolutely my reaction. The combination of language and less generous welfare systems is why Eastern Europe doesn't suffer from immigration as we do.

Would it be good if people stopped learning english? They'd have less incentive to come here if they didn't half speak the lingo.

No, there's a difference and it's not related to language. If you can't speak Hungarian and you move to Hungary, the welfare office (which will only give you 2p a week anyway) will basically tell

1 minute ago, wherebee said:

Wow.

That's insane.  India has what - 350 languages?  English is the glue.

God only knows on that one. You will have a local language, and then learn Hindi, which would be understood in most of India, and then English, which is the clincher for foreign trade. My Indian colleague was so proud of his daughter being good at English, as he saw the value in it, although I expect she was goingto a posh school. Level of English was pretty good, in my experience, except in the "local" shops.

7 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Would it be good if people stopped learning english?

They'd have less incentive to come here if they didn't half speak the lingo.

Absolutely my reaction.

The combination of language and less generous welfare systems is why Eastern Europe doesn't suffer from immigration as we do.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Absolutely my reaction.

The combination of language and less generous welfare systems is why Eastern Europe doesn't suffer from immigration as we do.

Well Slovakia didn't administer India for 200 years, and I imagine Sloviakian teachers are hard to find in India.

14 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

10 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I'm not sure about that. Have you ever spoken to a completely gibberish call centre?

That's because they're the ones half-speaking English.

The people from India I actually meet in the UK speak English fully.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

That's because they're the ones half-speaking English.

The people from India I actually meet in the UK speak English fully.

Yes, and it's rife with "recruitment agencies" I can't understand. Can't even get my name right, Which is surprising, as my surname would be very well known in India.

It is a shame..  and also probably a bit elitist.

It means only people who can afford to send their kids to private school or for private tuition will be able to apply for the best jobs in the best international companies.

On the flip side,   if the kids are already bi-lingual in Indian languages,  perhaps trying to push unexceptional kids to learn three languages is a bit of an ask..  especially when 95% of them probably won't ever need it.

Either way,  we aren't in much of a position to criticise..  most Brits don't learn any languages in school  (apart from possibly street slang).

Just now, Chewing Grass said:

You are Ghandi and I claim my five pounds.

More of a Yorkshire name, but also used in India. Sometimes I get comments from Indian people. Some here know, but I am am supposed to be anonymous.

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Absolutely my reaction.

Indeed, I was going to write about this on one of the other immigration threads the other day.

If the US was located within reachable distance of traditional immigration areas* then I suspect we wouldn't be quite so swamped. While there is no doubt that people come to the UK because of it's generous benefit system the fact we speak English also a massive draw for people.

It's the same way France has a big immigrant population, both are an over hang from the Empires of both countries.

I think for most immigrants benefits are a massive bonus but it's not the main driver for them coming to the UK.It's our language and global cultural reach.

* There is Mexico obviously, which of course it has a massive problem with already.

27 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I think we should stop speaking english, at least in public. Changing our official language to welsh would have so many benefits:

• It would save on having the bilingual signs in Wales
  • It would annoy the welsh nationalists to have all the english speaking their language
  • It would annoy the SNP
  • It would reduce the desire for others to come here

Of course we could still have people in other regions of the UK use their own language - cornish in the SW for example. It would be good to have gaelic in Scotland so Sturgeon would have to learn it and we wouldn't understand what she said.

6 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

I think we should stop speaking english, at least in public. Changing our official language to welsh would have so many benefits:

• It would save on having the bilingual signs in Wales
  • It would annoy the welsh nationalists to have all the english speaking their language
  • It would annoy the SNP
  • It would reduce the desire for others to come here

Of course we could still have people in other regions of the UK use their own language - cornish in the SW for example. It would be good to have gaelic in Scotland so Sturgeon would have to learn it and we wouldn't understand what she said.

I would prefer Latin as at least I have a mediocre O level pass in it.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

God only knows on that one. You will have a local language, and then learn Hindi, which would be understood in most of India, and then English, which is the clincher for foreign trade. My Indian colleague was so proud of his daughter being good at English, as he saw the value in it, although I expect she was goingto a posh school. Level of English was pretty good, in my experience, except in the "local" shops.

Only 43% of Indians speak Hindi according to the coverage in the Independent and only half of them use it as their main language. Southern Indians see this as just another example of Hindi nationalism so it is seen as a political move by many parts of India. Long term it will weaken the unity of the country.

Just now, Virgil Caine said:

Only 43% of Indians speak Hindi according to the coverage in the Independent and only half of them use it as their main language. Southern Indians see this as just another example of Hindi nationalism so it is seen as a political move by many parts of India. Long term it will weaken the unity of the country.

Yes, I'm not sure about that, but in Andra Pradesh it's all Telegu, and only one of my Indian colleagues could work it out, as he was local. I know he was Hindu, as he was training to be a part time priest. Maybe he approved of Hindu nationalism? Didn't ask.

12 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Yes, I'm not sure about that, but in Andra Pradesh it's all Telegu, and only one of my Indian colleagues could work it out, as he was local. I know he was Hindu, as he was training to be a part time priest. Maybe he approved of Hindu nationalism? Didn't ask.

Hindu nationalism seems to have a habit of sliding into Hindi nationalism. Ironically it is probable that Urdu speakers in Pakistan have a better grasp of Hindi than many Indians since it is pretty much the same language in a different written script. In fact Urdu and English not Hindi were the official languages of India under British rule. Given we no longer rule India English is probably the best non political common language the country possesses. Long term I expect this decision won’t do India any good at all.

Edited by Virgil Caine