DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/report-062020-signal-passed-at-stop-and-near-miss-deansgate-castlefield-tram-stop-manchester

The incident occurred because the driver of the first tram did not stop at the platform or stop signal, due to a temporary loss of awareness. 

RAIB found that the driver had been involved in previous similar incidents but that the tramway operator, Keolis Amey Metrolink, had not adequately addressed his safety performance.

Maybe the tram isn't such a good idea after all.

Maybe they are not as safety aware as on "proper" railways, where a mate of mine worked for a long time. He does tell me of some "incidents". Remember the Croydon tram that fell over a few years back?

Just now, eight said:

I'm guessing the unions insist that ultimate control remains with the driver.

Yes, it's like being captain of a ship, or airplane. I think think they can even marry people in the guard van.

4 hours ago, MrPin said:

Yes, it's like being captain of a ship, or airplane. I think think they can even marry people in the guard van.

That's not the place to get married.

From the Profanisaurus:

Guard's Van n. Of pulling a train (qv), the least desirable position in the queue. As in: "Bagsy I’m not in the guard’s van fellas". The last gang bangister on the bike.

XYY

Just now, The XYY Man said:

That's not the place to get married.

From the Profanisaurus:

Guard's Van n. Of pulling a train (qv), the least desirable position in the queue. As in: "Bagsy I’m not in the guard’s van fellas". The last gang bangister on the bike.

XYY

You are worse than the Bishop, with your Biblical references.

7 hours ago, sarahbell said:

You'd think for the money it cost there'd be a few safety features built in.

I think that might be the problem, take a complex job, simplify it so that a) you don't need such highly paid drivers and b) said drivers have next to sweet FA to actually do bar fall asleep.

I have the same concerns about cars, too many safety features and driver aids. makes driving boring and lifeless, and what do bored people do? they stop concentrating.

Edited by Snark
8 hours ago, MrPin said:

I have no idea. I will have to ask my mate. It's pretty strict on the railway nowadays. Trams may be different.

Very. Know a guy who worked on tracks, we were in the pub when a Pendolino crashed and saw it on the screen above the bar, he was outside on his phone straight away as it could have been track he was responsible for. He was religious about every aspect of it - even making sure he had not had a drink 48 hours before his 4 on 4 off, and not because he was randomly tested.

Accountants, MBA's, corporatism and private equity are the problem in all of this. 737 Max sumsit all up.