DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Eat Out to Help Out scheme

Are you planning to use the 'Eat Out' scheme?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning to use the 'Eat Out' scheme?

This poll is closed to new votes

Not sure if there is a dedicated thread for this already... It starts today. While I am cynical about the motives I may actually use it. Turns out the local pub is participating.

Not sure it's going to be as successful as the government think, but -50% off is a lot.

Have added a poll. Do you have any plans to go? It's for the whole of August, on Mon, Tue and Weds and is capped at £10 max discount.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It just shows what control the governbankment have over the media. Today there is plenty of talk of increased covid cases and a potential second wave. Every news channel seems to be reading the same s

The rules are very clear: You can't go to the restaurant with your friends If you arrive there and a friend is already there then you have to go home You can go and have a meal w

Two course meal, a few pints of guinness, and 4 hours of banter with my mates. Lovely. Been fucking long overdue.

Posted Images

Just now, spunko said:

Not sure if there is a dedicated thread for this already... It starts today. While I am cynical about the motives I may actually use it. Turns out the local pub is participating.

Not sure it's going to be as successful as the government think, but -50% off is a lot.

Have added a poll. Do you have any plans to go? It's for the whole of August, on Mon, Tue and Weds and is capped at £10 max discount.

In Spoons now. 2x everlasting coffee £1.29....hanging on for two breakfasts at £3.85 in total ( early lunch, ladt orders 11:30)

First post Covid visit and a lot emptier than usual. Even give away prices can't tempt folk in.

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's rather conflicting really, as I am supposed to wear a mask to buy groceries.

Wear a mask to buy groceries, don't eat fast food it makes you obese according to Boris, but here's 50% off your Big Mac.

Who's paying for this subsidy? That rich bloke down the road.

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

Wear a mask to buy groceries, don't eat fast food it makes you obese according to Boris, but here's 50% off your Big Mac.

Who's paying for this subsidy? That rich bloke down the road.

The farce is that you need a mask to pick up a takeaway maccy D, but not if you are going to eat in.

And no discount for the safest method of the drive through.

No surprise that my Maccy D opened up its eat in at the weekend.

1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Another one ripe for fraud. Suddenly your local Bangladeshi is giving 50% off 500 covers a night and charging it all to us. 

Funny thing is the restaurant only seats 20. How very odd :S

I thought about that. But then they will need to declare turnover and vat to match.

Most Bangladeshi restaurants seem to be avoiding the scheme entirely as they don't really want anyone looking at their books.

Just now, Wight Flight said:

I thought about that. But then they will need to declare turnover and vat to match.

Most Bangladeshi restaurants seem to be avoiding the scheme entirely as they don't really want anyone looking at their books.

I think we've been through this before... People who scam will scam. Not a fuck will be given. And if the IR come knocking, they'll just disappear and turn up somewhere else. 

4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I'm sure they'll wait to see if the other local Bangladeshi places do it, it'll be like a domino effect. Once one starts to scam, the next will, and so on.

At the end of the day it's only for 12 days, if my maths is correct.

1 minute ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I think we've been through this before... People who scam will scam. Not a fuck will be given. And if the IR come knocking, they'll just disappear and turn up somewhere else. 

Look up if your local curry houses are running it.

None of mine are.

1 minute ago, spunko said:

I'm sure they'll wait to see if the other local Bangladeshi places do it, it'll be like a domino effect. Once one starts to scam, the next will, and so on.

At the end of the day it's only for 12 days, if my maths is correct.

3 big Mac a day for 12 days?

Really can't remember last time I bought food prepared by someone else so this scheme is of no interest. Would much rather effort was made to return normal food shopping to the mere chore it was before and not the thoroughly unpleasant exhibition of mass psychosis the government has turned it into.

1 minute ago, Errol said:

Encouraging people to eat out in an ongoing pandemic. Hilarious stupidity.

Does this still apply to places like Manchester, where infections are doubling?

Yes!

But not with any friends outside your bubble.

Which is the bit people are struggling with. Cos they think you can't have anyone round but you can go to the pub with them.

Just now, Wheeler said:

The rules are very clear:

• You can't go to the restaurant with your friends
  • If you arrive there and a friend is already there then you have to go home
  • You can go and have a meal with a stranger
  • If you get too friendly with them during the meal you either have to leave or have an argument

The rules are very clear:

• You can't go to the restaurant with your friends outside your bubble
  • If you arrive there and a friend is already there then you have to sit at a different table
  • You can't go and have a meal with a stranger
  • Don't spit over the screens separating you from another table.

We used to treat the kids (and ourselves) to a weekly visit to the local "nice" cafe and would spend nearly £30 on sandwiches and drinks.

Since Lockdown, we've been doing the same thing, but on the village green where the cafe is (it's just outside our flat).  I cook at home, then walk over with the food on a little coffee table.

We've found that we prefer doing that to going to the cafe, at least when the weather is nice. And it costs less than a tenner, although there is some washing up to do after!

I can't image we're the only people with this sort of experience.  People have even taken to drinking on the green in the evenings rather than sitting in the pubs around it.  Yummy Mummy types with bottles of Veuve Clicquot rubbing shoulders with builders with a 4-pack of lager.  Everyone behaves well (although some leave litter, grrr), so it's not a problem.

Maybe in winter, when it's cold outside, we'll head back to the cafe and the drinkers will take to the pubs. But I can't see it happening while it's 20+ degrees and sunny, and you can get a bottle of champagne from the off-licence for the price of a bottle of plonk in the pub.

28 minutes ago, Errol said:

Encouraging people to eat out in an ongoing pandemic. Hilarious stupidity.

Does this still apply to places like Manchester, where infections are doubling?

I drove past a small bar last night. Pavement outside was heaving, totally packed.

A couple of doors up was a local small supermarket.

People walked past the heaving crowd paused outside the empty shop and masked up. Manc Madness.

Places participating within 5 miles of a postcode

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/eat-out-to-help-out/find-a-restaurant/

Your search results may not include participating restaurants in larger chains.

Check which chain restaurants have registered for the Eat Out to Help Out Scheme.

1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

In Spoons now. 2x everlasting coffee £1.29....hanging on for two breakfasts at £3.85 in total ( early lunch, ladt orders 11:30)

First post Covid visit and a lot emptier than usual. Even give away prices can't tempt folk in.

What personal data did they ask for?