Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Recommended Posts

Average of 6.5 hours a day wathcing TV / Streaming services.

Surprised it's not more.

I guess it was massively skewed by some people spending 12 hours a day watching TV,   the rest playing video games and a small handful who actually did other stuff.

When you're locked in the house all day,  what else were people going to do ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Formerly said:

Read, listen to music, cook, learn to cook, learn any another skill (coding seems to be popular), exercise, spend time on hobbies, declutter, post on internet forums....

All good advice. As some OP pointed out, I'm gasping to see "Antman vs Transformers IV", er NOT.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Formerly said:

40% of waking hours in front of the idiots' lantern. Literally mind boggling. TV watching

Station To Station

Barely watch it now particularly as the quality programs are spread desperately thin and I simply can’t be arsed to search through umpteen channels to find the odd speck of gold in the mountain of dross.

Ironically my wife was recently watching one of those omnipresent “montage programs” whereby TV cannabalises itself by trawling through its back catalogue to create yet another flashback show. What always makes me hoot is how the presenters often laugh at the sometimes socially awkward and technologically challenged TV from the 1970s or 1980s while the very program they are partaking in simultaneously demonstrates the complete lack of originality of the people currently working in the medium. If contemporary broadcasters are so fucking brilliant why are they always relentlessly ripping of output from eras they deign to laugh at. 

 

Edited by Virgil Caine
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spunko said:

Surely this is not accurate - it must include time spent working / staring at the PC. There is no possible way the AVERAGE person i.e. the mean watches 6.5 hours of TV + netflix + youtube a day. For that to be true, a large percentage would need to be watching 10 hours or whatever.

There are 12M over 65's.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, spunko said:

Surely this is not accurate - it must include time spent working / staring at the PC. There is no possible way the AVERAGE person i.e. the mean watches 6.5 hours of TV + netflix + youtube a day. For that to be true, a large percentage would need to be watching 10 hours or whatever.

Not sure it's that unreasonable during the lock-down.

Watch from 6pm to 10 pm,  that's 4 hours.     A movie in the daytime and you're there.

Only need a few people "binge watching" or doing "box-set marathons" to off set the balance.       Plus there's probably a lot of people who leave the TV on all day while they're doing other stuff.

 

Edit to add..  there will have been a lot of people working from home using the TV as a nanny.     That 6 hours could easily be 4 hours of paw patrol and a 2 hour film for the adults in the evening.  

I expect the confusion is that it's going to be 6.5 hours per household,  not per individual.

Edited by Libspero
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Not sure it's that unreasonable during the lock-down.

Watch from 6pm to 10 pm,  that's 4 hours.     A movie in the daytime and you're there.

Only need a few people "binge watching" or doing "box-set marathons" to off set the balance.       Plus there's probably a lot of people who leave the TV on all day while they're doing other stuff.

 

Edit to add..  there will have been a lot of people working from home using the TV as a nanny.     That 6 hours could easily be 4 hours of paw patrol and a 2 hour film for the adults in the evening.  

I expect the confusion is that it's going to be 6.5 hours per household,  not per individual.

I just find the thought of watching anything from 6pm to 10pm EVERY night so utterly depressing. People can do what they want, but I feel guilty of being a fat fucking slob after watching more than 2 half-hour episodes of Afterlife.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spunko said:

I just find the thought of watching anything from 6pm to 10pm EVERY night so utterly depressing. People can do what they want, but I feel guilty of being a fat fucking slob after watching more than 2 half-hour episodes of Afterlife.

Couldn't agree more..      I find most TV incredibly boring..   I'd much rather be watching educational/history/how-to channels on YouTube,  and even then I'd struggle with more than an hour or so in a day.

But the kids would happily watch TV all day if we let them.   So our average is probably 2 hours a day for the kids,  and my wife probably watches an hour at night.

That's 3 hours a day and I'd say that's probably very light use compared to most.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spunko said:

I just find the thought of watching anything from 6pm to 10pm EVERY night so utterly depressing. People can do what they want, but I feel guilty of being a fat fucking slob after watching more than 2 half-hour episodes of Afterlife.

 

It was specifically during lockdown when you were only allowed out, in theory, for an hour a day.  A lot of people don't read books and their usual waking week would comprise work, going out, and watching TV.

Furlough somebody and tell them they can't go out then that just leaves TV.

Had I been living in a city centre flat as I have done, and had a TV as I did, then if I was furloughed I would probably be watching that much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Formerly said:

What a wonderful way to spend your retirement!

 

3 minutes ago, feed said:

Not like they have all that much choice these days. 

Quite.  My parents were out ?sequence dancing 3 - 4 nights a week before this nonsense.

That's all stopped because of the age and vulnerability of a lot of the dancers so they're stuck in and put the TV on.

It's not how they usually live; this is still lockdown silly season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

 

It was specifically during lockdown when you were only allowed out, in theory, for an hour a day.  A lot of people don't read books and their usual waking week would comprise work, going out, and watching TV.

Furlough somebody and tell them they can't go out then that just leaves TV.

Had I been living in a city centre flat as I have done, and had a TV as I did, then if I was furloughed I would probably be watching that much.

Yes, that's true. But I assumed this was for more recent months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spunko said:

Yes, that's true. But I assumed this was for more recent months.

The article is horrendously opaque but plucking from it some snippets we have:

Quote

 

Time spent on subscription streaming services also doubled during April.

At the height of lockdown, adults spent an average of six hours and 25 minutes each day staring at screens.

 

I would take that to mean that the headline figure therefore relates to April.

Quote

The study, entitled Media Nations 2020, suggested that as lockdown measures eased towards the end of June, the uplift in streaming services held firm - 71% up on the same time last year.

That streaming is singled out as holding up suggests that the rest fell back.

 

The actual report is at: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/research-and-data/tv-radio-and-on-demand/media-nations-reports/media-nations-2020

And this snippet does say that TV viewing fell back after April.

Quote

As lockdown measures eased, broadcast TV viewing fell, but by the end of June was still 11% higher than in the same week in 2019. However, TV set viewing of SVoD and other nonbroadcaster content (including YouTube and video games) retained much of its lockdown uplift and was up 71% year on year in the last week of June.

The graph also shows that it was April that was the big anomaly.

 

image.png.e01c5903d64bd7b63ad77333e061a8ca.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, spunko said:

There is no possible way the AVERAGE person i.e. the mean watches 6.5 hours of TV + netflix + youtube a day. For that to be true, a large percentage would need to be watching 10 hours or whatever.

Many people watch TV from 8am until 2am.

Different ways.

Some have it constantly on but don't always pay attention.

Some constantly pay attention to linear programming, with set favourites. 

Some work through their planner(s). This group suffer a type of psychosis. Not unusual to have one, two, three, or more recorders. Constantly running out of space. 

Various sub-behaviours. Series links allow complete seasons to be available, each with random expiry. Forced prioritising of what to watch before it disappears.

A true form of madness, completist obsession, a vaguely alphabetical routine, adjusted by chronology. Constantly choosing favourites whilst others are pushed down the planner to hibernate for years.

I've seen HDRs with unwatched recordings from 2016.

Meanwhile others moan there is nothing on the telly these days.

I'm guessing what they mean is, there is nothing on TV for them. Hence the success of channels such as Gold, Talking Pictures, or even Blaze.

Mainstream TV is largely now for leftist, liberal, progressive, open borders, pro-EU, pro-LGBTQI+, pro-Trans, and multi-cultural identitarians.

Eventually, BBC will become a minority interest public service channel for the BAME 'community'.

Some say they already are.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

 

Quite.  My parents were out ?sequence dancing 3 - 4 nights a week before this nonsense.

That's all stopped because of the age and vulnerability of a lot of the dancers so they're stuck in and put the TV on.

It's not how they usually live; this is still lockdown silly season.

Do you think they'll get back to it? I can't get a game of five-a-side. Everybody has given up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Formerly said:

listen to music

Is listening to streaming music an approved activity but watching streaming video isn't?

I never watch actual TV but I sometimes switch it on for background. Gets very quiet on your own in a flat for months on end. Will watch torrents now and then but don't see how people can be in front of it semi-permanently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, eight said:

Do you think they'll get back to it? I can't get a game of five-a-side. Everybody has given up.

Yes I'm sure they will in time but there is the question of what groups will restart as these are usually run by an amateur couple who organise it.

They may lose a couple of local evenings and have a longer drive.

Realistically it will require a vaccine to be available as these are people in their 70s and 80s. Who knows when that will be?

I'm impressed that you're still five a siding; I must have been 41 or 42 the last time I played.

A colleague thought he was fine turning out to play at fifty despite not having played for years. He knackered his knees so badly he had to have an operation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

A colleague thought he was fine turning out to play at fifty despite not having played for years. He knackered his knees so badly he had to have an operation.

A breast enlargement?:o

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Funn3r said:

Is listening to streaming music an approved activity but watching streaming video isn't?

I don't think anybody has suggested that this is the case. Now that you have brought it up, I'll outline the approved music listening policy.

"Music should only be listened to in 2 scenarios:-

1. When you are playing one of the musical instruments (bagpipes do not count).

2. When the music is on vinyl - this ensures that you have to get up at least every half hour to avoid listening to the run out groove.

The only exception is listening to music while exercising. In this case a personal music player and headphones are permitted."

I hope this helps.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...