• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JoeDavola

Lazy Co-Workers

Rant time.

I'm sat here working my arse off (no really) on a really important project and the other bloke in the room, who gets paid the same as me, has so little to do that he's actually brought his hobby into work over the past week and is sitting doing that. It's winding me up. I know it shouldn't.

I've changed the activity to protect identities, but when I'm sitting coding and testing and managing deployment of a high profile bit of software and I can constantly see out the side of my eye a bloke sitting at his computer desk painting models, i.e. he's not even using the computer, and he's getting paid what I am. Well it's taking the piss isn't it. I actually can't believe the balls of this guy to bring all this stuff in and sit and do it at his work desk. I suspect he's a bit autistic.

Fuck it I'm bringing my N64 in to work tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Rant time.

I'm sat here working my arse off (no really) on a really important project and the other bloke in the room, who gets paid the same as me, has so little to do that he's actually brought his hobby into work over the past week and is sitting doing that. It's winding me up. I know it shouldn't.

I've changed the activity to protect identities, but when I'm sitting coding and testing and managing deployment of a high profile bit of software and I can constantly see out the side of my eye a bloke sitting at his computer desk painting models, i.e. he's not even using the computer, and he's getting paid what I am. Well it's taking the piss isn't it. I actually can't believe the balls of this guy to bring all this stuff in and sit and do it at his work desk. I suspect he's a bit autistic.

Remember, it is (should be) all about productivity, not hours put in.

Perhaps he did as much work on Monday as you'll manage all week...

Are you doing something he can be helping with or is there actually just nothing for him to do at the moment? Is he sometimes working his arse off while you've got nothing better to do than DOSBOD all day? Doing arts and crafts is taking the piss a bit - he should be at least doing something on the computer so it looks a bit like he's working.

Just now, dgul said:

Remember, it is (should be) all about productivity, not hours put in.

Perhaps he did as much work on Monday as you'll manage all week...

I doubt it. I know I shouldn't let it get to me, same thing happens in most places.

I remember starting in the civil service, and it was full of people who put in the hours.  They'd be in every day at 9am, finish at 5pm, and seemingly do very little in between. They'd also be very cross with anyone who turned up late(r than them) or left early(ier than them).  42 hours per week at their desk.  No more, no less.  Ever.

As someone who came from academia it was an eye opener (I guess the environment I was coming from (1990s) was more like 'do what you like, but you'd better do x papers per year and do the lecturing, or you'll not have your contract renewed'.  Some people managed to do that in fewer hours than others.).

In the end I left it all and went independent.  If I don't work I don't get paid.  If I'm highly productive I get paid lots.  I'm much more contented with that environment.

Edited by dgul

13 minutes ago, This Time said:

Are you doing something he can be helping with or is there actually just nothing for him to do at the moment? Is he sometimes working his arse off while you've got nothing better to do than DOSBOD all day? Doing arts and crafts is taking the piss a bit - he should be at least doing something on the computer so it looks a bit like he's working.

Nah I can't ask him to help, he wouldn't help anyway. I had to look after a thing he was writing a few years back while he was on hols and he handed me the buggiest bit of software I've ever used.

11 minutes ago, dgul said:

I remember starting in the civil service, and it was full of people who put in the hours.  They'd be in every day at 9am, finish at 5pm, and seemingly do very little in between. They'd also be very cross with anyone who turned up late(r than them) or left early(ier than them).  42 hours per week at their desk.  No more, no less.  Ever.

As someone who came from academia it was an eye opener (I guess the environment I was coming from (1990s) was more like 'do what you like, but you'd better do x papers per year and do the lecturing, or you'll not have your contract renewed'.  Some people managed to do that in fewer hours than others.).

In the end I left it all and went independent.  If I don't work I don't get paid.  If I'm highly productive I get paid lots.  I'm much more contented with that environment.

Yeah there's a big element of this - there's no reward to being extra productive or striving to innovate so lots of people just do the bare minimum.

23 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I can constantly see out the side of my eye a bloke sitting at his computer desk painting models,

If there was some bloke painting models in my office I wouldn't object...

NSFW

Spoiler

Image result for painted on bikinis

Edited by Cunning Plan

1 hour ago, dgul said:

Same with me. Working in the civil service and quangos felt like a piece of me was dying everyday. Just seemed so pointless how everyone turned up a 9 am then just pretended to work for 8 hours while spending most the time talking about their retirement and pension 20 years away. Gave me a existential crisis. Explains why people who spend their life in those organisations are tossers of the highest order. 

Edited by gibbon

1 hour ago, dgul said:

As a taxpayer I'm impressed that the British Civil Service can cram 42 hours work into a 40 hour week (35 with a one hour lunch break).

1 hour ago, dgul said:

9 - 5 makes 40 hours excluding lunch.

// ah sorry blue cat you made the same obs.

Edited by davidg

44 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Same with me. Working in the civil service and quangos felt like a piece of me was dying everyday. Just seemed so pointless how everyone turned up a 9 am then just pretended to work for 8 hours while spending most the time talking about their retirement and pension 20 years away. Gave me a existential crisis. Explains why people who spend their life in those organisations are tossers of the highest order. 

The trick is to neither mentally nor physically be present at your workplace if you can avoid it.

I'm currently (not) working whilst having an unofficial extra week tagged onto my holidays. I work from home mostly so its no particular hassle to have brought my laptop with me on holiday and am currently logged on and am wiggling the mouse (ooh err missus!) every 10 mins or so.

I used to work in London Market Reinsurance and you rose or fell by the quality of the business your underwriters wrote; but that could only do that when it was brought to them to be assessed which was Nov / Dec (and a much smaller mid year May / June).

They had some admin to do after that but really that was it.  They worked extremely hard during that time but it was the output that mattered (quality of business) rather than the effort put in.

The rest of the year they spent doing small bits of admin, lunching and beering with contacts, and being sent on pointless courses to get them out of the office for a bit.

Some jobs aren't standard work hours.

2 hours ago, axolotl said:

If you're bringing the N64 in can you also bring GoldenEye. I'm really good at that.

I would like to comment further, but I've got models to paint.

I feel your pain @JoeDavola used to have a work colleague called Alan. His nickname was 'take-it-easy-Alan'  .  His trick was to walk around the department with the 'very important piece of paper / report' and make sure he did a detour to various people so he could chit chat for about 15 mins with each then depart with a big sigh when that person was indicating that in fact, THEY WERE TRYING TO FUCKING GET SOME WORK DONE.

Not much I can suggest really ... dob him in?  Smash up his models?

... and yes goldeneye is fucking awesome

In my experience it's quite normal for people to take the piss with social media/youtube/browsing etc. You have to get used to that in this line of work. Never seen anyone do other hobbies in the office at their desks. Is there no project manager or team lead to sort it out?

I swear every other person on here is a developer...

What sort of coding do you do, out of interest?

To add fuel to the fire, I'd say I'm way more productive than my colleague/business partner who is one of those 9 to 5 on the dot people. I don't see the point in staying 'til 5pm if you finished your work at 4pm.

3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Rant time.

Are you sure you just don't work at Games Workshop?

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I swear every other person on here is a developer...

What sort of coding do you do, out of interest?

To add fuel to the fire, I'd say I'm way more productive than my colleague/business partner who is one of those 9 to 5 on the dot people. I don't see the point in staying 'til 5pm if you finished your work at 4pm.

It's a bit of a niche in terms of languages but basically it's business software in a java-esque language. Lots of SQL work too. It's a good position to be in I guess that I'm the only person who really knows how a bit of software works that's central to how a large organization works. Should make me hard to get rid of hopefully. And I do generally like the job more than any other one I've had.

Anyways I've fixed a few things today and I've just kicked of a massive suite of regression tests that's gonna take several hours - so I'm done for today.

Edited by JoeDavola

1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

It's a bit of a niche in terms of languages but basically it's business software in a java-esque language. Lots of SQL work too. It's a good position to be in I guess that I'm the only person who really knows how a bit of software works that's central to how a large organization works. Should make me hard to get rid of hopefully. And I do generally like the job more than any other one I've had.

Anyways I've fixed a few things today and I've just kicked of a massive suite of regression tests that's gonna take several hours - so I'm done for today.

Take his models and stamp on them, jump up and down on them. Boogie on their remains

Then tell the lazy bastard that if he doesn't start pulling his weight you'll have a competition to see how many airfix models with spiky propellers you can fit up his arse. 

Headbutt him after every second word to emphasise the point.

I'm having a bad day and am feeling uncharitable.

19 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Take his models and stamp on them, jump up and down on them. Boogie on their remains

Then tell the lazy bastard that if he doesn't start pulling his weight you'll have a competition to see how many airfix models with spiky propellers you can fit up his arse. 

No whips or hammers? You big softy!

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

18 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Yay, go "Don Logan" on him, excellent idea!

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

I work in boring old web dev - most Indians could write my code nowadays for $1.50 an hour xD.

I was speaking to a family member who works for the MoD in software, he earns a fat wedge as he's one of the very few people who can code in this arcane language they still use. I can't even remember what it was called now, some C+ derivative but I'd probably go into that if I found myself on the work scrapheap, you can basically set what sort of salary you want as it's so hard to find someone apparently.