DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Is the economy finally getting up off its arse?

Walking to work this morning, I noticed a number of people waiting at the bus stops, and the bus itself was quite busy (I haven't seen more than two passengers on it at any one time since March). On the way back, at half past five, the roads were significantly more busy than even yesterday, with queues at roundabouts, and the out-of-town retail-park car-park was rammed.

I'm not sure why it's happened today rather than Monday 3rd, nor whether it will last. However, from my very limited perspective, I think the economy is finally getting up off its arse. Hooray!

For what it's worth, my guess is that companies are realising they have to restart, or get strangled by the gradually increasing costs of furlough, and the reason I didn't see it on Monday was because premises took a couple of days to clean and prepare for work.

Is anyone else seeing the same, or is this just my wishful thinking?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boomers have completely fucked over the young. But you try finding a boomer who even understands it. They didn’t have to compete in a globalised world so all that lovely wage inflation paid down a mor

I have not been far off having a heart attack the last few weeks due to stress keeping up. Our business (construction chemicals, paints predominantly) has been posting record numbers. June was big, Ju

OK, so I have received a new, amended, contract for a reduced number of hours, but am still furloughed for the time being. But it does mean that I remain "employed"" 

Posted Images

I don't expect any significant return by workers to the big cities. But then most of these people are working from home anyway, keeping the economy going.

Commuter trains, car parks and routes are largely empty still. Center of London itself is still mostly empty (or at least 80-90% down).

Edited by Errol
24 minutes ago, BurntBread said:

For what it's worth, my guess is that companies are realising they have to restart, or get strangled by the gradually increasing costs of furlough, and the reason I didn't see it on Monday was because premises took a couple of days to clean and prepare for work.

Yes.

9 minutes ago, Errol said:

I don't expect any significant return by workers to the big cities. But then most of these people are working from home anyway, keeping the economy going.

Commuter trains, car parks and routes are largely empty still. Center of London itself is still mostly empty (or at least 80-90% down).

A keyboard and mouse, modern-day paper-shuffling. The backbone of any successful, stable, productive and sustainable 21st century economy! 

32 minutes ago, eight said:

This today from my employer.

"Also, today is the first day of redundancy outcome meetings. I’m pleased to report that the number of staff likely to leave the business is much lower than first anticipated, and much lower than other comparative businesses, thanks to the efforts of everyone."

Great news for you.

I was getting the impression that you thought you were for the chop.

4 minutes ago, Shamone said:

A keyboard and mouse, modern-day paper-shuffling. The backbone of any successful, stable, productive and sustainable 21st century economy! 

Yes, I mean the economy - such as it is. But the people working from home are also spending a lot more money in local shops, bars and restaurants. It's just London and the big cities that are missing out.

2 minutes ago, Errol said:

Yes, I mean the economy - such as it is. But the people working from home are also spending a lot more money in local shops, bars and restaurants. It's just London and the big cities that are missing out.

And coffee shops, and WHSmith at stations.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Great news for you.

I was getting the impression that you thought you were for the chop.

I only started last September so wasn't part of the redundancy consultation. I've said I'll take any hours available, no matter how few, so they don't actually have to definitively dispense with or reinstate me. I was eyeing Christmas but just can't believe we're going to get through to that without further draconian measures, so it's still all up in the air really. 

21 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

Seen a lot of small shops remaining closed.

However, I use the M60 daily. Truck frieght is definitely on the up. Slows me down.

Not seen many Euro registered trucks though. I do have a habit of looking at the reg when I see one.

I always look out for Euro or rather LHD registrations to see how much space I need to give them when overtaking them.

1 hour ago, The Grey Man said:

A friend worked for an insurance company covering them in the EU a decade ago.

Side swipes a plenty in the claims.

HGV side swiped me at some lights. I was in the left hand lane with an high curb that blocked my escape, he was in the right lane but as he went to turn he swung left and swiped me. Memorised his reg number and was only 500 yds from a Police station so grassed him up immediately. Firm accepted liability "driver didn't stop because he didn't speak English"

6 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

HGV side swiped me at some lights. I was in the left hand lane with an high curb that blocked my escape, he was in the right lane but as he went to turn he swung left and swiped me. Memorised his reg number and was only 500 yds from a Police station so grassed him up immediately. Firm accepted liability "driver didn't stop because he didn't speak English"

Geeze. Thats a sad excuse. Sadder that you reported it and were given that reply.

We are officially going into recession next week.

On Monday the NIESR estimate is scheduled.

On Wednesday at 7am it's the proper ONS first estimate for the 2nd quarter. The 1st quarter was -2%. The 2nd quarter is certain to be negative and so put us in recession. We already know the 3 individual months were -5.8%, -20.4% and +1.8% for June (forecast for June was +5.5%).

The monthly figure for July is going to be the interesting one and obviously what they will concentrate on because it's bound to be a positive number.

Central Edinburgh was busier than I remember today from last six months, this was 5pm and whlst only been driving since lockdown don't really remember how bad it is pre (probably very bad).

Anyway yeah today seemed like taste of proper mini traffic jams for a few minutes.  Not nice but good for sign for the economy I guess.

8 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Lots of FTSE stocks seem to have hit a bottom on Friday with an uptrend from Monday through till today. Some of the most badly hit stocks had very good volume, suggesting that the big boys were buying in.

What stocks are you referring to?

9 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

What stocks are you referring to?

Some markets have been going slightly crazy this week, Gold, Silver, Oil is up........I don't think this reflects the state of the economy but more the amount of money central banks are printing...

EDit: oh yeah the US dollar has been dropping massively...

Edited by 5min OCD speculator
10 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Some airlines, retailers, oil companies.

BP, Burberry, Greggs, IAG, Easyjet, Dixons Carphone. 

Not the banks? Even what I thought were the good ones share price well down. Whole sector seems to be in a slump ? 348E9BC1-567D-4CA5-AADA-2CEF9E1D788A.thumb.jpeg.61f9739664771aa2e3f4c92124897174.jpeg