DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Distracting Electronic Devices

He wanted to adjust something that Tesla might suggest didn't need to be adjusted.  But that's ignoring human nature -- if people can adjust something, they will, particularly if they're bored (such as when driving).

Windscreen wipers should have an easily reached switch with positions for 'off'/'once'/'on'/'fast'.  Even intermittent is unnecessary (if you can't drive with an occasional flick to give the screen a wipe when necessary then you're not fit to drive).

The Tesla Model 3 automatically adjusts the speed of the wipers depending on how heavy its sensors believe the rain is.

It can be switched on and off from the steering wheel, but adjusting the interval needs to be done on the touchscreen.

In this case, the driver had to navigate software menus and then choose from one of five settings, after touching an icon.

"Ministry of Crap Design" as Ben Elton used to say.

Personally I think self-cancelling indicators were a step too far.

I'm developing severe luddite tendencies. My current car is very nice but once I'm done with business driving I'll be back tracking to an older model.

Was skirting around Peterborough yesterday on my way to a new destination and the sat nav in my Volvo froze and then turned off. Thanks for that! I had to pull into a social club* car park and sit for 10 minutes until it decided to wake up again. 

* luckily I wasn't forced to buy a pint of mild whilst I waited. 

These touch screen controls for everything are increasingly hard to avoid on cars and a fucking ergonomic human factors design nightmare. An accident waiting to happen. A triumph of marketing over design-for-safety. I’ve been telling my kids for years And now we have solid proof.

its like this shit never happened:

https://humanisticsystems.com/2018/02/25/human-factors-and-ergonomics-looking-back-to-look-forward/

I wonder how many engineers Safety concerns have been overruled in car companies in the last ten years? A lot, I’d wager.

I personally refuse to drive a car with one of these monstrosities.

19 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Was skirting around Peterborough yesterday on my way to a new destination and the sat nav in my Volvo froze and then turned off. Thanks for that! I had to pull into a social club* car park and sit for 10 minutes until it decided to wake up again. 

I had a Volvo for a bit recently, my favourite feature was the "Pilot assist" sort of self driving which would stop steering at about 90, but not bother to tell you, while the cruise control would continue to accelerate.

25 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I had a Volvo for a bit recently, my favourite feature was the "Pilot assist" sort of self driving which would stop steering at about 90, but not bother to tell you, while the cruise control would continue to accelerate.

I’ve got sensors somewhere that alert me when I’m about to crash. It doesn’t like parked cars.  o.O  doesn’t appear to be anyway to switch it off. 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Incredibly so. It frightens the passengers too as the warning is incredibly loud and jarring. 

I think this is now a required feature on all new cars.  I've had it on fairly low grade rental cars.  Higher end versions allow you to tweak the sensitivity.

8 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I think this is now a required feature on all new cars.  I've had it on fairly low grade rental cars.  Higher end versions allow you to tweak the sensitivity.

Can’t in mine. Fucking thing.  If I could rip out the sensor I would.  

Manufacturers love touchscreens instead of switches and dials simply because it's a lot cheaper. It's cheaper to buy and install, it also ties you into their upgrades and servicing. And when it inevitably goes wrong they can charge what they like for a replacement which they have to install and set up for your car for security reasons. It stops you unplugging one from a wreck and using it.

30 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Manufacturers love touchscreens instead of switches and dials simply because it's a lot cheaper.

Well, I'm probably overdue for a new car, but I don't want a "fruit machine" display. And I don't want keyless activation.

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Well, I'm probably overdue for a new car, but I don't want a "fruit machine" display. And I don't want keyless activation.

I thought keyless was the work of the devil but this week i had a curtesy car without it. A right pain to have to dig the key out to unlock it.  I have decided that I now like it.  :)

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I thought keyless was the work of the devil but this week i had a curtesy car without it. A right pain to have to dig the key out to unlock it.  I have decided that I now like it.  :)

I suppose it means the car can be removed from your drive without the inconvenience of a housebreaking.