DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

PPE masks, Commie DRs n arsehole QC

BBC been going in n on n on n on about.

https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/108million/

My take on this us that the NHS buyers I.e not directly the government I.e Boris will spec the requirements.

Either the importer fucked up buying the wrong mask. Or NHS fucked up spacing the masks.

Then the cretin QC is making a bug fuss about PE n Ayanda capital.

Just maybe Ayanda moved a lot quicker than the nhs buyers?

Then hes going on about other small companies - sweet company, post control.

I'm not sure jolcyon grasps how imports n Chinese contracts works.

It's possible that these orgs had existing contacts to  a buyer in China. You want it, they go out n find it. Doesn't matter what the product is. If you have a working relationship with a Chinese middleman theyll go out n source stuff for you.

Then it's just a matter of using pre bought freight capacity to bring stuff back.

16 hours ago, spygirl said:

I'm not sure jolcyon grasps how imports n Chinese contracts works.

Come now, spy. This is Fearless Jolyon the Fox Slayer we're talking about here.

A man so brilliant that he managed to accomplish something that the combined intellect of the Right Wing of the UK had failed to do. Yes, that's right; he doxxed himself via Twitter.

I'm thinking I agree wholeheartedly with the man who said, “Cases, like this, that peddle snake oil to the desperate undermine public confidence in crowdfunding and harm the public interest”.

I can see their point, but this is another case of 'damned if you do, damned if you dont'. Where I work the process to vet 3rd party buyers takes about 2 years.

Could you imagine the fuss if the Sun got hold of a story about how the government could have bought all the PPE it needed, but the process was tied up in red tape. 

I would expect that more or less every single piece of public sector procurement ever would fail on some legal point or other if challenged in court. I had some involvement from the seller side a few years back and it was clearly impossible to do it exactly by the book. One random example, we went in to a government department to do a presentation as required by the RFP and the sales-droid picked up a box of donuts to take in with us. When one of the potential clients went to grab one after the box was put on the table, the government procurement manager literally ripped it from her hand and started a lecture about how that could be seen as unfair inducement etc. Just fucking crazy.

Edited by TheBlueCat
18 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I would expect that more or less every single piece of public sector procurement ever would fail on some legal point or other if challenged in court. I had some involvement from the seller side a few years back and it was clearly impossible to do it exactly by the book. One random example, we went in to a government department to do a presentation as required by the RFP and the sales-droid picked up a box of donuts to take in with us. When one of the potential clients went to grab one after the box was put on the table, the government procurement manager literally ripped it from her hand and started a lecture about how that could be seen as unfair inducement etc. Just fucking crazy.

We have to go through annual FCPA etc anti corruption training, working for a Yank company (& two jobs ago another one). Your anecdote rings totally true to me. Not a donut or a coffee to be offered. I sort of understand, but it is fecking madness in the implementation. Especially as all the while you can’t offer some low level bod the common decencies the real sharks at the higher management and political levels are making out like bandits, Ever known a high level civil servant or politician whose lifestyle matches their income? Me neither.

Edited by Melchett
20 minutes ago, Formerly said:

I've not seen anyone questioning the price of these masks. FFP2 masks with behind the head fastenings can be had for about £1 each in quantities of 10. However, when the government procures 50 million of poorly tested behind the ear ones, they pay 3x the price!

I doubt anyone was selling them for 1 pound each back in April.

24 minutes ago, Formerly said:

I've not seen anyone questioning the price of these masks. FFP2 masks with behind the head fastenings can be had for about £1 each in quantities of 10. However, when the government procures 50 million of poorly tested behind the ear ones, they pay 3x the price!

Procurement is generally through an "approved suppliers" list, which usually means somebody's uncle's firm

21 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Procurement is generally through an "approved suppliers" list, which usually means somebody's uncle's firm

With all the germs that are caught by these magical masks, I'm guessing the firm in question is owned by Uncle fucking Fester...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man
2 hours ago, Melchett said:

Especially as all the while you can’t offer some low level bod the common decencies the real sharks at the higher management and political levels are making out like bandits, Ever known a high level civil servant or politician whose lifestyle matches their income? Me neither.

Bingo, it went like this from the early to mid 90s onwards, make life as miserable as possible for the dogs bodies who have to get on with the day to day stuff yet the twatts at the top were creaming holiday apartments in Spain and having swimming pools built FOC.

Meanwhile we had to turn down everything including calendars and pencils although we still managed to go to the pub a few times, out of sight out of mind.

All this shit didn't matter to us as all we wanted was decent equipment to stick in buildings for other normal folks to use, we didn'y give a shit about the cost at that was somebody else's problem.

Overview : UK.gov has (allegedly) signed 12 month contracts for masks to be supplied at prices way above peak demand prices.
No open tender, no consultation, no openness or accountability.

Legal challenge to UK.gov demands that witheld details of the ppe procurement process are published in line with usual openness and transparacy policy
https://goodlawproject.org/news/the-ppe-fiasco/

Gove awarded Ppe contracts worth £££ millions to cronies in secret without open tender.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/15/coronavirus-contracts-government-transparency-pandemic

On topic -
French supplier diverts masks away from NHS to more lucrative contracts inc China.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/20/revealed-nhs-denied-ppe-at-height-of-covid-19-as-supplies-sent-to-china-coronavirus

French govt siezes all masks manufactured in France, inc a major NHS order.
https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/06/coronavirus-french-protective-mask-manufacturer-scraps-nhs-order-to-keep-masks-in-france

10 million masks sourced by an EU fund are declared substandard and seized
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/05/europe-halts-delivery-10-million-poor-quality-chinese-masks-200514132353534.html

4 hours ago, Andersen said:

Overview : UK.gov has (allegedly) signed 12 month contracts for masks to be supplied at prices way above peak demand prices.
No open tender, no consultation, no openness or accountability.

Legal challenge to UK.gov demands that witheld details of the ppe procurement process are published in line with usual openness and transparacy policy
https://goodlawproject.org/news/the-ppe-fiasco/

Gove awarded Ppe contracts worth £££ millions to cronies in secret without open tender.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/15/coronavirus-contracts-government-transparency-pandemic

Presumably this all explains the mask rule. The government don't want to be seen as having wasted money :S