Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

The Decline of the Student Slumlord


Recommended Posts

Spare a thought for the needy this summer...

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/54936809?search_identifier=a491157b4520e5fbcad806cb9a44507a

This 4 bedroom student house in Cardiff, with “stunning open plan kitchen/lounge”, has been available since July 1st. Now into their second void month, the landlord reduces the rental price from £2,102 pcm to £1,300 pcm.

This property seems like one of the better ones as well. Where is the fan as I want to be out of the way when this turd hits it.

 

Edited by DownwardSpiral
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DownwardSpiral said:

Spare a thought for the needy this summer...

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/54936809?search_identifier=a491157b4520e5fbcad806cb9a44507a

This 4 bedroom student house in Cardiff, with “stunning open plan kitchen/lounge”, has been available since July 1st. Now into their second void month, the landlord reduces the rental price from £2,102 pcm to £1,300 pcm.

This property seems like one of the better ones as well. Where is the fan as I want to be out of the way when this turd hits it.

 

If they have been sensible, minimum repayments on the mortgages, all the money into PMs, bury in river, bankrupt, dig up a year later, home free.

however, they will not have been doing that.  it will have been leverage all the way up, so they are hopefully screwed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DownwardSpiral said:

Spare a thought for the needy this summer...

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/54936809?search_identifier=a491157b4520e5fbcad806cb9a44507a

This 4 bedroom student house in Cardiff, with “stunning open plan kitchen/lounge”, has been available since July 1st. Now into their second void month, the landlord reduces the rental price from £2,102 pcm to £1,300 pcm.

This property seems like one of the better ones as well. Where is the fan as I want to be out of the way when this turd hits it.

 

Don't forget most of these places are in licensed areas, where change to a single owner rental for a year or so, will  lose the status of student HMO, then require planning permission to return to HMO. And don't forget the licence fees which still have to be paid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Don't forget most of these places are in licensed areas, where change to a single owner rental for a year or so, will  lose the status of student HMO, then require planning permission to return to HMO. And don't forget the licence fees which still have to be paid. 

Depends on the number housed. It’s usually if there’s more than 4 non related people living in a house, so I doubt the landlord would need to get a HMO licence. Most landlords don’t bother anyhow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

Depends on the number housed. It’s usually if there’s more than 4 non related people living in a house, so I doubt the landlord would need to get a HMO licence. Most landlords don’t bother anyhow.

Crazy. He's charging 525 a month. What rip off. When I was a student it was 32 a week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine that Cardiff, like my home city, has seen those blocks of student digs go up that are a bit like hotels? Each room with its own shower room and loo, shared kitchen/dining areas and top spec wi fi?

Educational institutions have had to get more creative with revenue streams since the Cameron Government, hence these blocks. I am of the opinion that they are serious competition to the tradition style of student let's. If I was a student I'd be sorely tempted by one. 

In Norwich where I live two housing estates border the University of East Anglia. A lot of ex-council houses have been turned into student digs. It would be good to see a reversal of that trend 

Edited by UmBongo
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Castlevania said:

Depends on the number housed. It’s usually if there’s more than 4 non related people living in a house, so I doubt the landlord would need to get a HMO licence. Most landlords don’t bother anyhow.

Mlost didnt.

However the HMO licensing now carries very large fines. And the LA can close the house.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Castlevania said:

Requires a local authority that gives a shit

HMO control = ££££

HMO fines = ££££

There was no exact aw on HMO. All a bit vague.

However 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/houses-in-multiple-occupation-and-residential-property-licensing-reform-guidance-for-local-housing-authorities#:~:text=With effect from 1 October,many cases require a licence.

Under the Housing Act 2004, larger HMOs that are 3 or more storeys and occupied by 5 or more persons forming at least 2 separate households are required to be licensed.

With effect from 1 October 2018 mandatory licensing of HMOs will be extended so that smaller properties used as HMOs in England which house 5 people or more in 2 or more separate households will in many cases require a licence.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, spygirl said:

HMO control = ££££

HMO fines = ££££

There was no exact aw on HMO. All a bit vague.

However 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/houses-in-multiple-occupation-and-residential-property-licensing-reform-guidance-for-local-housing-authorities#:~:text=With effect from 1 October,many cases require a licence.

Under the Housing Act 2004, larger HMOs that are 3 or more storeys and occupied by 5 or more persons forming at least 2 separate households are required to be licensed.

With effect from 1 October 2018 mandatory licensing of HMOs will be extended so that smaller properties used as HMOs in England which house 5 people or more in 2 or more separate households will in many cases require a licence.

 

I think you'll find that if they don't have a licence the tenants can claim all the rent back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I imagine that Cardiff, like my home city, has seen those blocks of student digs go up that are a bit like hotels? Each room with its own shower room and loo, shared kitchen/dining areas and top spec wi fi?

Educational institutions have had to get more creative with revenue streams since the Cameron Government, hence these blocks. I am of the opinion that they are serious competition to the tradition style of student let's. If I was a student I'd be sorely tempted by one. 

In Norwich where I live two housing estates border the University of East Anglia. A lot of ex-council houses have been turned into student digs. It would be good to see a reversal of that trend 

Sure has UmBongo. At least three that I know of, including the hideous Zenith building. I bet the universities are aggressively pushing these properties to students and I would probably be tempted to accept a place in these purpose built tower blocks if I were a student as well. They are undoubtedly a big factor in the squeeze on the student BTLs.

Take your seat in the Rightmove / Zoopla arena and watch the bloodbath going on in this sector.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I imagine that Cardiff, like my home city, has seen those blocks of student digs go up that are a bit like hotels? Each room with its own shower room and loo, shared kitchen/dining areas and top spec wi fi?

Educational institutions have had to get more creative with revenue streams since the Cameron Government, hence these blocks. I am of the opinion that they are serious competition to the tradition style of student let's. If I was a student I'd be sorely tempted by one. 

In Norwich where I live two housing estates border the University of East Anglia. A lot of ex-council houses have been turned into student digs. It would be good to see a reversal of that trend 

Not a week goes by a new 14 or so story tower for students gets approved round here. Going to be loads of downwards pressure on slum landlords. Lot of students will feel safer with a professional landlord than some deposit stealing scumlord.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/08/2020 at 12:19, UmBongo said:

I imagine that Cardiff, like my home city, has seen those blocks of student digs go up that are a bit like hotels? Each room with its own shower room and loo, shared kitchen/dining areas and top spec wi fi?

Educational institutions have had to get more creative with revenue streams since the Cameron Government, hence these blocks. I am of the opinion that they are serious competition to the tradition style of student let's. If I was a student I'd be sorely tempted by one. 

In Norwich where I live two housing estates border the University of East Anglia. A lot of ex-council houses have been turned into student digs. It would be good to see a reversal of that trend 

As a minor point most of the big blocks going up are owned by national property companies rather than the universities.

The prices are eye-watering; rents are for 51 weeks rather than just the 30 weeks of term, and it looks like they're not selling based on this "flash sale" from the Beckley Point monstrosity in Plymouth.  This is part of The Student Housing Company.

image.png.ee96329d29e9a51de268b5b28206e5ec.png

Prices run from £141 per week for sharing a 2 bed flat to £210 a week for your own one bed.  Which as you can see exceeds the £10k maintenance loan by itself.

Utilities are included and absolutely I would have loved to have had something like that when I was at college.  The option was not however there as the student grant would only stretch to a college room or a room in a shared house.

I think I was 27 before I had my own bathroom and toilet.

https://thestudenthousingcompany.com/locations/plymouth/beckley-point

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

As a minor point most of the big blocks going up are owned by national property companies rather than the universities.

The prices are eye-watering; rents are for 51 weeks rather than just the 30 weeks of term, and it looks like they're not selling based on this "flash sale" from the Beckley Point monstrosity in Plymouth.  This is part of The Student Housing Company.

image.png.ee96329d29e9a51de268b5b28206e5ec.png

Prices run from £141 per week for sharing a 2 bed flat to £210 a week for your own one bed.  Which as you can see exceeds the £10k maintenance loan by itself.

Utilities are included and absolutely I would have loved to have had something like that when I was at college.  The option was not however there as the student grant would only stretch to a college room or a room in a shared house.

I think I was 27 before I had my own bathroom and toilet.

https://thestudenthousingcompany.com/locations/plymouth/beckley-point

£10k+ a year to rent a flat in fucking plymouth? Madness. My guess is that block is aimed purely at foreign students. Rich Chinese who don't socialise as much and would rather live on their own. Part of the uni experience is living with 5+ of your mates in the second year.

Edited by gibbon
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Utilities are included and absolutely I would have loved to have had something like that when I was at college.  The option was not however there as the student grant would only stretch to a college room or a room in a shared house.

I got housing benefit, about 90% of rent covered so I rented a swanky seafront apartment with a mate at Uni. Everyone was asking how we afforded it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, spunko said:

Is that a bed in the kitchen?

No. It is a cluster of 6 enuite rooms with a communal kitchen. That will be the sofas in the kitchen.

There is also a sky lounge for all occupants to get together.

About as far from a slumlord flat as you could get.

 

Edited by Wight Flight
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, gibbon said:

£10k+ a year to rent a flat in fucking plymouth? Madness. My guess is that block is aimed purely at foreign students. Rich Chinese who don't socialise as much and would rather live on their own. Part of the uni experience is living with 5+ of your mates in the second year.

I think the bottom just fell out of the housing the chinese students market :Jumping: :wanker:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...