Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Cars with cameras on the roof


Recommended Posts

I was down the town in Ilford this morning and saw a couple of cars with cameras on the roof. Not the usual council yellow box type of thing and not labelled Google or anything like that. Definitely two different make/models. 

I just wondered what they might be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

I was down the town in Ilford this morning and saw a couple of cars with cameras on the roof. Not the usual council yellow box type of thing and not labelled Google or anything like that. Definitely two different make/models. 

I just wondered what they might be.

 

Two types (Swansea has the DVLA so we have vast numbers of both. I think they test them out locally before they get shipped to other places.)

1. Tax disc - it looks at your licence plate and does a computer look-up to whether you have car tax, insurance and MOT.

2. Illegal parking.

The second one gets programmed with all the places you can't park - residential parking that requires a permit, bus stops, the various red and yellow lines, dual carriageways. The cars just drive around the known trouble-spots in a given area taking photos of cars illegally parked, cross-matching with the DVLA database and issuing fines in the post.

There is a Tesco Express near me with a long bus-stop outside. I daren't think how much money they make from that one alone as the car drives past it numerous times per day. Everyone seems to think that they can nip and be OK. The only saving grace is if a car is parked directly in front and behind yours so your licence plate is out of view. Give it a few years and it will be GPS of where your car is.

The 'plus' is that the blue badgers are exempt from fines for parking in the bus stops locally so the cars mostly allow lots of retired well-off people to have free parking within feet of the shop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

Two types (Swansea has the DVLA so we have vast numbers of both. I think they test them out locally before they get shipped to other places.)

1. Tax disc - it looks at your licence plate and does a computer look-up to whether you have car tax, insurance and MOT.

2. Illegal parking.

The second one gets programmed with all the places you can't park - residential parking that requires a permit, bus stops, the various red and yellow lines, dual carriageways. The cars just drive around the known trouble-spots in a given area taking photos of cars illegally parked, cross-matching with the DVLA database and issuing fines in the post.

There is a Tesco Express near me with a long bus-stop outside. I daren't think how much money they make from that one alone as the car drives past it numerous times per day. Everyone seems to think that they can nip and be OK. The only saving grace is if a car is parked directly in front and behind yours so your licence plate is out of view. Give it a few years and it will be GPS of where your car is.

The 'plus' is that the blue badgers are exempt from fines for parking in the bus stops locally so the cars mostly allow lots of retired well-off people to have free parking within feet of the shop.

It's getting towards no parking almost everywhere except at the supermarket and there are time limits for that.  They might as well just programme them to fine people if their vehicle is stationary except in traffic.

Edited by twocents
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, twocents said:

It's getting towards no parking almost everywhere except at the supermarket and there are time limits for that.  They might as well just programme them to fine people if their vehicle is stationary except in traffic.

 

In San Francisco / Silicon Valley some towns now have a chip at each parking spot. To park there you have to have an app on your phone from which you are automatically deducted for how long you are there. You pay in advance of course... which gives incredible opportunities for fines.

So, for example, a 30 minute parking spot is 30 minutes from the second you stop to the second you leave. None of this sitting in your car doing your lippy when you arrive or opening a bag of wotsits from your shopping before you drive off. Stay a moment too long and kerching!

I posted a video in another thread yesterday by Gary - who has a YT channel doing reviews of TV - where he gives a good rant about why he and his family are leaving San Francisco. One reason is all the parking fines.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I posted a video in another thread yesterday by Gary - who has a YT channel doing reviews of TV - where he gives a good rant about why he and his family are leaving San Francisco. One reason is all the parking fines.

I don't blame them - it sounds awful.  Leave was my first thought.  The UK is bad enough in that regard - and getting worse by the day.

I expect after leaving the parking spot you have to go straight home.  A nightmarish way to be forced to live.  In the UK it's mainly because of the growth in population and greedy councils.  Those camera cars seem to be increasing in number everywhere - not to mention the unmarked police cars as well as the more normal ones and mobile speed cameras.

Edited by twocents
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

I was down the town in Ilford this morning and saw a couple of cars with cameras on the roof. Not the usual council yellow box type of thing and not labelled Google or anything like that. Definitely two different make/models. 

I just wondered what they might be.

there was one in the local news surveying the road verges for invasive foreign species, anything like that on Ilford high street ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...