DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Weather gradient

anyone noticed huge differences in temps differences between London and for instance Southwold? There have been differences of 9 degrees over last few days and also big difference forecast for Sunday. I know it is coastal but would only expect 3 or 4 deg difference max. I have seen large differences in Spain before where inland is 44 degrees and then Gibraltor is 26 degrees with only 30 miles apart but wouldn't expect this in the UK. Maybe I just never noticed this in the UK before. Or is it global warming linked?

1 minute ago, RJT1979 said:

anyone noticed huge differences in temps differences between London and for instance Southwold? There have been differences of 9 degrees over last few days and also big difference forecast for Sunday. I know it is coastal but would only expect 3 or 4 deg difference max. I have seen large differences in Spain before where inland is 44 degrees and then Gibraltor is 26 degrees with only 30 miles apart but wouldn't expect this in the UK. Maybe I just never noticed this in the UK before. Or is it global warming linked?

Must be the Sun heating up all those knies.

knkves

Knives.

I have ketchup and mayonaise thumb.

I've got a thermal camera and things like stones really get hot... I'd guess roads and buildings get similarly hot.

Human activity also produces a lot of heat. A litre of diesel has about 10 kWh of energy in it. A courier van might use 10 gallons of diesel a day? That's about 450 kWh of heat from one van a day...

5 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

As someone who woke up in a layer of sweat I can confirm that London is a gigantic clay oven.

Thought futurist ideas often offer clever concepts of cities converted in greenery can help mitigate clay oven effect.  Also much nicer to be around too rather than concrete jungles.

Weather seems to be getting more tropical in Scotland if that's the right thing to call it... Really hot balmy days occasional crazy rain.  I'm all for a bit more heat here though as long as it doesn't keep going up.

Years ago used to thing if Scotland had better weather it could potentially become like a Spanish holiday resort.  The only thing would be midges still holding things back.

50 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I've got a thermal camera and things like stones really get hot... I'd guess roads and buildings get similarly hot.

Human activity also produces a lot of heat. A litre of diesel has about 10 kWh of energy in it. A courier van might use 10 gallons of diesel a day? That's about 450 kWh of heat from one van a day...

known as the urban heat island effect

(Not sure why I typed that)

51 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

Thought futurist ideas often offer clever concepts of cities converted in greenery can help mitigate clay oven effect.  Also much nicer to be around too rather than concrete jungles.

Weather seems to be getting more tropical in Scotland if that's the right thing to call it... Really hot balmy days occasional crazy rain.  I'm all for a bit more heat here though as long as it doesn't keep going up.

Years ago used to thing if Scotland had better weather it could potentially become like a Spanish holiday resort.  The only thing would be midges still holding things back.

Aye some of our beaches are ridiculous. 

Bhatarsaigh-Bay-Vatersay.jpg

North-Coast-of-Iona.jpg

56 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

Garden cities were one attempt, not a bad one either. Unless heavily corrected for heating effects of converting farmland / semi farmland or even light suburban areas to densely populated any climate change / relative temp readings are utterly flawed.

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

As many as that. 
About the same number of hours as you can use a open convertible in Oldham.

Well if you'd gone this spring would have had 9 days out if 10 like that. Few days in the low 30's too.