DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Thought some of the tech savvy here might be able to help with this latest Windows update fuck up.

Had a Windows 10 update installed last night, this morning when I boot it up I get "The current input timing is not supported by monitor display.  Please change input timing to 1920x1080@60ghz".  Message on both monitors.

Spent an hour trying to get into recovery mode to change the settings as suggested by a Google search.  Not happening, PC powering down when it should go into Windows recovery mode.  I hauled my TV upstairs and connected to the PC and finally get a display.  I can even plug in either of the monitors alongside the TV, have windows detect it and get dual display again.  Checked the display settings and 1920x1080 is no longer available for either monitor.  60ghz is set.

Now I realise I can connect one monitor, boot up and it displays but as soon as the other is connected it throws the original error.  Still can't boot with both monitors.

Tried updating the graphics card driver - no update available.

I've been dicking around with it for 4 hours and I'm stumped.  Stuck with one monitor on 1024 x 768 which is like a throwback to the early nineties.  

Any suggestions on what else to try?  New graphics card? 

Can you change to a different display port?

(I have no idea what that means or if it helps but son's monitor stopped working this week so they swapped things about for a different connection)
My monitor broke earlier this year. So did my mums. Both properly broke not software. Unheard of! 

1. Go to your SEARCH on the taskbar.

2. Type in DEVICE MANAGER

3. In DEVICE MANAGER go to MONITORS.

If you monitor is there right click on it and see if it gives you the option of updating the driver from there. If not, then use the option to uninstall the monitor. REBOOT.

If there is a monitor there you do not recognise then uninstall it also before rebooting.

Once rebooted see if things work. If they do not then repeat the above step but this time disable the monitor(s) and then reboot.

Sounds like you have the good old conflict where Microsoft have a driver for your monitor that they think is better than the OEM one.

31 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Sounds like you have the good old conflict where Microsoft have a driver for your monitor that they think is better than the OEM one.

If this is the case - very likely - roll back the device driver.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-roll-back-device-driver-windows-10

Also 60Mhz, are there any other settings available, if so try them as resolution probably isn't an issue ?

Personally I'd go straight to the graphics card manufacturer's site and download the latest non-beta driver, install that and see if it undoes whatever Microsoft has done.

You could also try rolling back the Windows update but I've never had much luck with that (isn't it sad that you need luck to make a core integrity feature work!). Having rolled back I'd see if it would start in safe mode.

Not being able to do so suggests that the OS is damaged. Microsoft has scanning/repair procedures that you could look up.

Edited by Lightly Toasted
7 minutes ago, onlyme said:

If this is the case - very likely - roll back the device driver.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-roll-back-device-driver-windows-10

Also 60Mhz, are there any other settings available, if so try them as resolution probably isn't an issue ?

Problem with rollback device driver is that if MS has install their own driver the rollback will often not rollback to the OEM driver. Windows either does not see a driver to rollback to - it wants a MS driver - or it looks for an older MS driver on the PC. The latter may work but, of course, if you have auto updates enabled then the latest MS driver that fecked things up will get installed again at some point.

This has been a known issue for decades with MS drivers. It is good that they make these generic drivers for devices as lots of manufacturers just stop making their own drivers after 1 or 2 versions. But it can also be a right pain if a MS driver is why one of your devices stops working.

Thanks very much for the suggestions!

After much messing about and dozens of painful reboots it's back to normal.  Tried all of the above and none of it was working.  Then after reinstalling the driver software from the AMD site I noticed a setting in the AMD Catalyst Control Centre - "Use Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) or driver defaults" - was checked.  I unchecked it which allowed me to manually set Maximum resolution: 1920x1080.  This then made it available under display settings resolution in Windows :)  I reckon I could've done this at 7am this morning had I known and saved myself 6 hours of swearing.  

Fuck you Microsoft.

I’ll thread derail.

i Bought a 2017 iMac used in lockdown . Planned to dual boot so in work day Imac would be windows 10 boot camp in miracast as second work screen to a separate monitor driven off laptop. It works but the miracast performance is slow and laggy ( much slower than running airplay to Apple TV on the Apple side). There is miracast over infrastructure but I don’t have a Ethernet link to the router. Online says that I can connect a laptop to iMac and not need a crossover cable. Didn’t work as I couldn’t then get to WiFi to get the broadband. I do have an old spare router so wonder if I could connect a few bits to get miracast over infrastructure? Alternatively both laptop and iMac have USB-C.

At work we are on office 365 and everything else is over Remote Desktop so I did wonder whether other option I could just use my own kit and work from the iMac in Apple mode.

Edited by Ash4781b
3 hours ago, RWJ said:

Thought some of the tech savvy here might be able to help with this latest Windows update fuck up.

Had a Windows 10 update installed last night, this morning when I boot it up I get "The current input timing is not supported by monitor display.  Please change input timing to 1920x1080@60ghz".  Message on both monitors.

Spent an hour trying to get into recovery mode to change the settings as suggested by a Google search.  Not happening, PC powering down when it should go into Windows recovery mode.  I hauled my TV upstairs and connected to the PC and finally get a display.  I can even plug in either of the monitors alongside the TV, have windows detect it and get dual display again.  Checked the display settings and 1920x1080 is no longer available for either monitor.  60ghz is set.

Now I realise I can connect one monitor, boot up and it displays but as soon as the other is connected it throws the original error.  Still can't boot with both monitors.

Tried updating the graphics card driver - no update available.

I've been dicking around with it for 4 hours and I'm stumped.  Stuck with one monitor on 1024 x 768 which is like a throwback to the early nineties.  

Any suggestions on what else to try?  New graphics card? 

Linux

30 minutes ago, eight said:

I keep meaning to give it a go, but I'm too scared. 

Yes, well, you can run it from the DVD, without installing, or install to an external hard drive, and boot from that. Do not try a dual boot on the one disk you have.

36 minutes ago, eight said:

Burn a ''Live DVD' like Knoppix v8, then boot from it. It will be slow, but you'll get a flavour of what applications are available and whether they are usable. A reboot will return you to Windows (ab)normality.

1 hour ago, eight said:

I haven't gone that far but I did stick with W7 as this is my main gambling machine and needs to be reliable.

Back when Betfair had a forum, there would be traders complaining about the site freezing and them being stuck with a large position because the race started before they could trade out. They were using the family computer. :wanker:

I had an old Pentium 2 400mhz tower with the case always open. For Betfair, I'd swap out the C: drive to a minimal install hdd only used for Betfair. When the site was freezing for others, it would work fine for me.

When I got a 2nd pc, I put them both on a KVM switch. Easier than keep changing hard drives.

48 minutes ago, eight said:

You will get a lot of people recommending different linux distributions and desktop environments: that's both the main strength and main weakness of linux. But, as @MrPin says, if you mainly use a browser it doesn't really matter. Once you have it set up as you like it, linux is very good at getting out of your way, and you don't notice it. It also gradually gives you a comforting feeling that you actually own your computer, rather than being a slightly annoying tenant who gets beaten with sticks to move on when the landlord decides to upgrade, and who is never entirely certain there isn't a hidden camera in the bathroom.

I've been a happy user of Xubuntu for the last 10 years: it's an official variant of ubuntu, which is very new-user friendly, and because it has so many users tends to be good for trouble-shooting online if need be. It doesn't always support the very latest hardware (I had to use Fedora for a work laptop for a year before ubuntu caught up and got the new graphics card working), but generally I have been able to throw ubuntu at a random laptop and it works. The main problem has been finding what variant of shift/F1/space/F12/escape/enter to press during boot in order to get into the boot menu and choose the boot medium.

I use the "xububtu" variant because the desktop environment is a classic 90's paradigm: it's like Windows XP, but done properly (fast, responsive, configurable*, and multiple desktops which you can switch between). In fact, I now load ubuntu and just switch the desktop out, but xubuntu essentially gives you that out of the box, without any fiddling around.

There will probably be a flame war now about which distribution & window manager to try, so sorry for that. Desktops are probably the most contentious: I've tried a fair few, and liked most of them (twm or fvwm for minimalism, but both are very out of date now; xfce or mate for the classic desktop; kde or gnome for something more crazy; and there are other paradigms like tiling window managers that mean you never need to use a mouse).

I'd really recommend trying some variant, even if only to run it off a DVD or thumb-drive to see if it might work for you. A lot of effort has been put over the years by awkward bastards and elitist sods, and the result is really very useable.

* Ever since the mid 90's when I started using DEC alphas, I have been a fan of "mouseover-to-focus and click-to-raise"** on a desktop environment, and I also find it really cramped on Windows not being able to switch between multiple desktop spaces.

** Strangely, given how fanatical computer people can be, I have never seen a religious crusade about mouse settings. 

9 minutes ago, BurntBread said:

I use the "xububtu" variant because the desktop environment is a classic 90's paradigm: it's like Windows XP, but done properly 

I liked Win XP. My son got me to move to Win 7 but security issues aside, it was no better. Win XP was perfectly adequate and stable for me.

Xubuntu it is then. Thanks for that.

1 hour ago, Nippy said:

Burn a ''Live DVD' like Knoppix v8, then boot from it. It will be slow, but you'll get a flavour of what applications are available and whether they are usable. A reboot will return you to Windows (ab)normality.

The Ubuntu DVD is a live DVD too. You don't have to "install" it. It will run in memory. It's a lot easier than the old days, of recompiling the kernel, to get the network card to work

1 hour ago, eight said:

My wife has a laptop which was on W10. I booted it of a USB stick into Mint Linux. She thought it was ok. I installed Mint as a dust boot wit W10. She hasn't actually booted into Windows since not has she had any complaints whatsoever.