DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Apart from dosbods one of the joys of the Internet is that it enables fools to be parted from their money. Have a look at some of the prices for old football shirts... Twenty years ago that stuff would have been binned or sent to the charity shop...

https://www.vintagefootballshirts.com

Do a search for your local club and the ten years old kits are selling for about £35 which is great value compared to the new kit at £55 and up; plus it's more interesting.

I have an early 90s club shirt and England shirt both of which I bought at the time for about £40; being acrylic or whatever they do last.

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

It seems to be a bubble related to the 80s and early 90s specifically. I've noticed it in cars and motorbikes too, but it makes zero sense to me.

This means that I'm restricted in driving my "classic" (1994 ffs!) Because it's valuation is so high. I'd rather the valuation half (I'd still be in profit if I sold at that) then I could just run the thing as a normal car and enjoy driving it.

Hope that bubble bursts soon.

56 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I sold a Manchester United football programme on ebay last year for £400. Only one sheet folded in two but super rare apparently. There are some very keen collectors out there.

Hartlepools United v Manchester United, FA Cup 3rd Round 1957 is the one you want.

Described in his autobiography by Sir Matt Busby as "the most exciting game of football I've ever seen"...

'Pools lost 4-3...

XYY

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

Apart from dosbods one of the joys of the Internet is that it enables fools to be parted from their money. Have a look at some of the prices for old football shirts... Twenty years ago that stuff would have been binned or sent to the charity shop...

https://www.vintagefootballshirts.com

That's good news as I have hundreds.

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

I sold a Manchester United football programme on ebay last year for £400. Only one sheet folded in two but super rare apparently. There are some very keen collectors out there.

Looked like this:

791822618_ScreenShot2020-08-08at16_49_29.thumb.png.7882c4ea9edd5e0e3dbe477e8f0e5d2a.png

I would imagine that programme is of some historical interest as looking at the date I assume the players on in the BAOR team were former professionals called up for the war. It is possible some of the Man Utd team were still in uniform as well. The English Football League did not restart fully after the Second World War until the 1946-47 season which began about 5 months later.

On edit - A quick search confirms my guess as a copy of the programme is held in the Imperial War Museum according to its catalogue

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1502009837

Edited by Virgil Caine
46 minutes ago, spunko said:

It seems to be a bubble related to the 80s and early 90s specifically. I've noticed it in cars and motorbikes too, but it makes zero sense to me.

Just goes to show there's still too much furlough cash sloshing about.

It's probably a generational thing. A lot of guys buying stuff to relive their youths.

36 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

I would imagine that programme is of some historical interest as looking at the date I assume the players on in the BAOR team were former professionals called up for the war. It is possible some of the Man Utd team were still in uniform as well. The English Football League did not restart fully after the Second World War until the 1946-47 season which began about 5 months later.

On edit - A quick search confirms my guess as a copy of the programme is held in the Imperial War Museum according to its catalogue

Good research. I think the programme would have been even more valuable a few years ago. I sold my childhood collection of programmes in the early 2000s on ebay for prices that would probably not be exceeded today. I can usually spot a decent programme at a general antiques auction and will buy it if the price is right. 

1 hour ago, Option5 said:

This means that I'm restricted in driving my "classic" (1994 ffs!) Because it's valuation is so high. I'd rather the valuation half (I'd still be in profit if I sold at that) then I could just run the thing as a normal car and enjoy driving it.

Hope that bubble bursts soon.

You don't have to treat it as if it is worth so much. If you want to drive it for enjoyment then drive it. You could always sell it and buy a similar vehicle for much less. 

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/classic_cars.php?category=&make=27&region=&country=&era=8&type=1&price=&keyword=&S=Search

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?advertClassification=standard&postcode=GU11AB&make=LANCIA&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&is-quick-search=TRUE&page=1 (not the Stratos obviously B|)

9 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I have considered doing that but I figure the bubble will burst soon enough.

It's not my choice not to use it, it's the insurance restrictions. Mileage is one I'm happy to pay but an extra £2500 for "commuting" (3000 miles per year premium is £270) is ridiculous.

Sad story -  in 1983 I turned down a straight swap for my Porsche 944 against a Lancia Stratos :CryBaby:

FYI I had a Beta coupe in 1978, brilliant to drive but it rusted away at an amazing rate.

Edited by Option5

I still 

17 minutes ago, Option5 said:

FYI I had a Beta coupe in 1978, brilliant to drive but it rusted away at an amazing rate.

I still miss both the HPE's I had. The volumex for torque and acceleration in any gear and the 1600 HPE for driveability. It really was like an Autocar road test reporter said, when you enter a bend and press the throttle pedal it squats down and accelerates. 

5 hours ago, Virgil Caine said:

A businessman in Lagos sold me a programme over the internet,  for the British-Germany Christmas Day Ypres match in 1914.

The idiot sold it to me for only £2000, the sucker didn't realise how rare it was.

5 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I still 

I still miss both the HPE's I had. The volumex for torque and acceleration in any gear and the 1600 HPE for driveability. It really was like an Autocar road test reporter said, when you enter a bend and press the throttle pedal it squats down and accelerates. 

They were good looking cars those:

lancia-beta-hpe-3.jpg

Nostalgia is one of the most powerful narcotics known to man. I’m not sure why we’re so prone to mainlining it as it seems to be of no benefit and potentially detrimental.

A large part of ebay is like a county lines dealing operation for the drug nostalgia.

Edited by SNACR