DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Which Laptop? Advice needed....

Hi all

I am a technophobe.

I am purchasing a laptop for my 13year old daughter.

Budget £300 max.

Use: School work - nothing major. 

Thought I’d throw my research out to the ‘DOSBOD Hive mind’:

Anyone got any advice or know of any good discounts etc? 

(Nothing came up on DB search in case this has been discussed before?)

Edited by Vendetta

Get a £60 refurbed one from ebay. If it's a 'business' laptop like a Dell Latitude or Precision then it will be very well built. Some sellers are offering MS Office (volume licence) pre-installed for that price. I'm still using a couple of Core2 Duo laptops from 2007; you don't need the latest and greatest.

Edited by Nippy

Laptops are hard to source at the moment, as the supply chains are a bit buggered.  Many manufacturers are running at a 12 week lead time rather than the typical four. China are still chucking them out as normal, but its the bit between us and China that's slowing things down.  Therefore, there aren't a huge amount of bargains around....

This doesn't seem too bad value for money, all considering...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VivoBook-Microsoft-365-Family/dp/B08D6YMDDV/

Edited by Dave Beans
38 minutes ago, Nippy said:

Get a £60 refurbed one from ebay. If it's a 'business' laptop like a Dell Latitude or Precision then it will be very well built. Some sellers are offering MS Office (volume licence) pre-installed for that price. I'm still using a couple of Core2 Duo laptops from 2007; you don't need the latest and greatest.

3 minutes ago, Nippy said:

It would be easier for a technophobe to buy one with an SSD drive already in. There are refurbed laptops on ebay that have smallish 64/128Gb SSDs that are still around £60.

You won’t get better advice than these 2 posts. 

The one thing I would add is that the operating system software is just as important as the hardware now.   

I found that family bothered me less if they had Apple gear, they are less able to fuck it all up and whine until I spend hours fixing it. Obviously refurbed Macs with an SSD cost more, but as long as the model can run an OS that Apple are still supporting they’re also a good bet. 

16 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

You won’t get better advice than these 2 posts. 

The one thing I would add is that the operating system software is just as important as the hardware now.   

I found that family bothered me less if they had Apple gear, they are less able to fuck it all up and whine until I spend hours fixing it. Obviously refurbed Macs with an SSD cost more, but as long as the model can run an OS that Apple are still supporting they’re also a good bet. 

If you buy 2nd hand.  Replace the hard drive asap. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Nippy said:

Car boot yesterday, £50 Acer, core 2 Duo,  there was a dell which would have got but no power supply with that and one and couldn't test.  Can't go wrong really at that price point as a knock about machine.

Just now, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

A security issue or are you referring to the unreliable hard drives they used to have? I replaced the crappy original hard drive in a 2009 IMac with a small SSD in about 2013/14, it’s still running very well on Yosemite. 

How would you feel owning Jimmy Saville's old laptop?

There's a line of thought that the older computers are less vulnerable to being remotely fiddled with by The Agencies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Platform_Security_Processor

If they want you in jail, and you didn't have anything illegal on your hardrive, you soon will have!

Edited by Nippy

Old business laptop is indeed the way to go.

T Series Thinkpad are the sweet spot, You can get a T450 for around £200-250 on ebay, only 5 years old and for the most part will be in top condition still. The name structure is easy to understand, 40 series (T440) is older than T450, T460 newer and so on. T430 is about as low as you want to go due to the processor gen upgrade that happened on those.

Don't know enough about Dell to advise on specific models.