DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Holiday Inn - Robber Barons

Last Sunday we meet up with friends at the Holiday Inn in Hemel Hempstead before heading up to the Peak District. The intention was to have a coffee and snack and then travel in convoy (iranian thing that GPS hasn't stopped). We were delayed so friends waited in their cars until we arrived. We then went into the hotel only to be told only serving residential guests. There were about 4 cars in the car park but Fair enough - we left. 

Our two friends have now received £60 parking penalty notices. We haven't (yet),  maybe for being there for a shorter period. I didn't see any notices at this out of town hotel next to a motorway........

Can this fine be legally enforced or is a just a petty trespass claim the SC court will laugh at? Friends inclined to pay but my inner DOSBODDER says NO. 

Coincidentally we are staying in a HH in Poole on Thursday. If I get a fine tomorrow that booking is getting cancelled. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Black and white photographs in a brown envelope sent to the parking companies owner of his wife doing the school run?

Yeah, it’s not Holiday Inn, it’s our old ‘friends’ Parking Eye and their ANPR. OK, so it’s Holiday Inn who allowed these shysters to control their car parks, but it’s Parking Eye who are the root

Potoshop a crosshair over it for bonus points.

Pretty much the norm in most hotel car parks all automated/anpr.

They will have to go all the way and try and get a CCJ if you don’t pay but need to be more careful in going through the motions with POPLA appeals it’s not so open and shut in favour of the motorist these days.

1 minute ago, SNACR said:

Pretty much the norm in most hotel car parks all automated/anpr.

They will have to go all the way and try and get a CCJ if you don’t pay but need to be more careful in going through the motions with POPLA appeals it’s not so open and shut in favour of the motorist these days.

I drive into hotel car park with the intention to purchase offered goods

Signage if it exists isn't obvious 

There is no  payment system (barrier gate or ticket machine)

I walk into hotel to find that only residential customers being catered for. Staff don't mention anything of parking charges

I leave accordingly 

One week later receive a demand for £60 on the basis there is a 'breach of contract

Would the SCC court seriously enforce this or tell the company to GTFO? 

9 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I drive into hotel car park with the intention to purchase offered goods

Signage if it exists isn't obvious 

There is no  payment system (barrier gate or ticket machine)

I walk into hotel to find that only residential customers being catered for. Staff don't mention anything of parking charges

I leave accordingly 

One week later receive a demand for £60 on the basis there is a 'breach of contract

Would the SCC court seriously enforce this or tell the company to GTFO? 

Probably not provided there’s no doubt you were only in there for ten minutes or something like that but you will need to go through the motions of appealing.

Easiest way to deal with it is to get Holiday Inn to cancel it which they may claim to be unable to but it is never true they always suddenly find they can if you’re a big enough customer or have a big twitter following.

The parking companies don’t tend to give up after a couple of stonewalled letters anymore.

Edited by SNACR
4 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Probably not provided there’s no doubt you were only in there for ten minutes or something like that but you will need to go through the motions of appealing.

Easiest way to deal with it is to get Holiday Inn to cancel it which they may claim to be unable to but it is never true they always suddenly find they can if you’re a big enough customer or have a big twitter following.

The parking companies don’t tend to give up after a couple of stonewalled letters anymore.

We were there for about 25 minutes. Mrs yakking and then going into hotel. No access and Jnr needed the bog so went to the BP garage next door 

Yeah, it’s not Holiday Inn, it’s our old ‘friends’ Parking Eye and their ANPR.

OK, so it’s Holiday Inn who allowed these shysters to control their car parks, but it’s Parking Eye who are the root of most car park evil in this country... 

ETA they will have photos. Parking Eyes entire business model relies on them getting these fines to stick in the county court Rather than legitimate parking charges, so I wouldn’t waste your time trying to fight it.

Edited by Melchett
12 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

Its one to be aware of. Normally they are fine if you go to reception and give them your number plate and a story.

Do occssional jobs in them and pretty routine.

Might be worth a letter to the branch and explain.

Problem is If I get a fine I really donr facny driving from Billericay to HH to discuss with HH management. 

2 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Problem is If I get a fine I really donr facny driving from Billericay to HH to discuss with HH management. 

I use a fair bit of parking at work. Hospitals...no mercy...your largely screwed.

The hotels...I havent found them sods to make money off it. Seems a routine to keep their car parks clear.

Honest, send the manager a letter. They dont manage the scheme. They just bung your no plate in to exclude it from a fine from the company with the contract. They dont want bad press.

Anyone who pays a parking invoice like this is a mug. Just go through POPLA and get them to cancel it, it takes 5 minutes of research.

Anyone who posts that absolute bollocks about how the 'game has changed' and the 'test case' that wasn't actually a test case will be rudely referred to Pepipoo. 

I got off from ParkingEye about a month ago, for the 20th time.

17 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I got one in London, same kind of thing. I just sent an email to the hotel in question, got a nice email back telling me it was cancelled. I did use my office email and we used the place a lot.

11 minutes ago, spunko said:

Anyone who pays a parking invoice like this is a mug. Just go through POPLA and get them to cancel it, it takes 5 minutes of research.

Anyone who posts that absolute bollocks about how the 'game has changed' and the 'test case' that wasn't actually a test case will be rudely referred to Pepipoo. 

I got off from ParkingEye about a month ago, for the 20th time.

Cheers for that. fwded already to the affected parties. 

If we get a fine I will also use. Im tempted to see how far they will take this but in doing so need to demonstrate Ive used every opportunity to resolve before court action. 

2 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Cheers for that. fwded already to the affected parties. 

If we get a fine I will also use. Im tempted to see how far they will take this but in doing so need to demonstrate Ive used every opportunity to resolve before court action. 

It's not a fine it's an invoice that you didn't agree to :Old:

Getting off from Parking Eye is not an option for people like me with company vehicles - the company/leasing company both take their side and add in an Extra Admin charge of their own along with disciplinary action for being a dozzy sod and getting caught out and causing them aggro. 

3 minutes ago, Option5 said:

I got one in London, same kind of thing. I just sent an email to the hotel in question, got a nice email back telling me it was cancelled. I did use my office email and we used the place a lot.

Thats a good tip. 

One of our friends is a big knob with BP, the other is a GP with the Holy NHS. 

1 minute ago, spunko said:

Yes all six directors are barristers. But I relish taking on things like that.

Small claims court I recall allows the defendant to chose the location and it severely limits costs awards so its a bit like the Employment tribunal - a great place for confident lay litigants. 

4 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Small claims court I recall allows the defendant to chose the location and it severely limits costs awards so its a bit like the Employment tribunal - a great place for confident lay litigants. 

Sadly not any more without a good reason. I wanted my case heard in Wick but they wouldn't entertain it without proof I was staying there xD

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, spunko said:

Sadly not any more without a good reason. I wanted my case heard in Wick but they wouldn't entertain it without proof I was staying there xD

Id chose the one thats most convenient to me - Basildon. 

Thats a long way for their Cunts from Preston to travel for the case. kents a long way from preston too.  I suppose they could appoint a local Shyster but then if I contest the case they will need  company reps to present evidence. 

Edited by Kurt Barlow
48 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Yeah, it’s not Holiday Inn, it’s our old ‘friends’ Parking Eye and their ANPR.

OK, so it’s Holiday Inn who allowed these shysters to control their car parks, but it’s Parking Eye who are the root of most car park evil in this country... 

ETA they will have photos. Parking Eyes entire business model relies on them getting these fines to stick in the county court Rather than legitimate parking charges, so I wouldn’t waste your time trying to fight it.

We need a new version of captain gatso I suspect parking eye equipments far easier to fuck up than speed cameras.mind more witnesses potencialy