DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Has C-19 altered any of your major future plans

I am cheating a little because this has been on the drawing board for a few years now and on schedule, though C-19 has reinforced my drive to get going hugely. I am moving 300 miles North into central Northumberland where I will be 60  miles from the Lake district, close to the Northumberland coast and sandwiched in-between Kielder and Northumberland forest and The Pennines. Scotland is only a stones though away, so can make the odd raid there and Galloway Forest is 80 ish miles away with great water sport and fishing, it's my outdoors lifetime dream with all my favourite things on my doorstep.

Just hoping for the cherry on the cake which will be a dramatic property crash so I can get a bigger smallholding, and where I am living is less than 3% ethnic, call me what you want :), but sick of all the problems that go with a rainbow nation.

So what are your plans if any?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am cheating a little because this has been on the drawing board for a few years now and on schedule, though C-19 has reinforced my drive to get going hugely. I am moving 300 miles North into central

It's given me more confidence to leave the UK altogether one day. I don't know when, maybe within the next decade. I've known this country is going down the swanny for a while but I've never seen it s

I was all ready to chuck in my life in the Czech Republic (the language is difficult - as well as myself, my 3yo is really struggling to communicate, and the job was too much effort for not enough pay

It's given me more confidence to leave the UK altogether one day. I don't know when, maybe within the next decade. I've known this country is going down the swanny for a while but I've never seen it so vividly with terrified boomers in facemasks everywhere.

Think I would like somewhere warmer, and more chilled like Crete or another Greek island.

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

It's given me more confidence to leave the UK altogether one day. I don't know when, maybe within the next decade.

Think about it now, or you will never get round to it. I don't think I will be exporting myself now. Could have done it some years ago but it is a big move.

9 minutes ago, spunko said:

It's given me more confidence to leave the UK altogether one day. I don't know when, maybe within the next decade. I've known this country is going down the swanny for a while but I've never seen it so vividly with terrified boomers in facemasks everywhere.

Think I would like somewhere warmer, and more chilled like Crete or another Greek island.

I looked at the UK hard and it was so difficult to find any spot worth going to now, and the places that are OK have had their  soul destroyed by the rich London crowd and house prices have gone through the roof. It will eventually arrive on my new doorstep i have no doubts, but not for a while yet.

10 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Think about it now, or you will never get round to it. I don't think I will be exporting myself now. Could have done it some years ago but it is a big move.

I am the same, but would not totally rule it out. But it would only be Normandy or Brittany now, complete contrast from the shitty UK and yet only 70 miles away

1 minute ago, haroldshand said:

I am the same, but would not totally rule it out. But it would only be Normandy or Brittany now, complete contrast from the shitty UK and yet only 70 miles away

It's nice, but I'm not in the bicycle-mounted onion selling business.

51 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

I am cheating a little because this has been on the drawing board for a few years now and on schedule, though C-19 has reinforced my drive to get going hugely. I am moving 300 miles North into central Northumberland where I will be 60  miles from the Lake district, close to the Northumberland coast and sandwiched in-between Kielder and Northumberland forest and The Pennines. Scotland is only a stones though away, so can make the odd raid there and Galloway Forest is 80 ish miles away with great water sport and fishing, it's my outdoors lifetime dream with all my favourite things on my doorstep.

Just hoping for the cherry on the cake which will be a dramatic property crash so I can get a bigger smallholding, and where I am living is less than 3% ethnic, call me what you want :), but sick of all the problems that go with a rainbow nation.

You have difficulty joining the dots don't you?

Edited by Democorruptcy
33 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

I watched a documentary about Brittany the other day. Frank Spencer's wife got murdered by a policeman. I'm not going there.

59 minutes ago, spunko said:

When I read that Greece were trying to tempt pensioners with a 7% flat tax, I emailed the Greek minister in the article and suggested she also allowed people in, who were below pension age but with means to support themselves (thinking Brexit). I mentioned Costa Rica's "Rentista" scheme where $60k USD in the bank gets you in.

Reply was "we would like to inform you that first, we would like to see the new regime for foreign pensioners as it is and then we will consider any further modifications if necessary".

I would have thought for a business man like yourself, financially the Portugese NHR might be OK?

3 hours ago, haroldshand said:

To lobby all North-East local authorities to ban any more Cockneys from moving up here and spoiling the fucking place...

XYY

I'm now basing life expectancy on 15 more years ending at 70. So it has focused my mind.

Currently, Covid19 stalled the purchase of one of these  that i planned to get this year

https://das-fernweh-mobil.de/

It will probably now be bought in 2021.

My travel plans had been the wilds of N America, S America, Africa, the Arctic, Aus and NZ. I've never had any interest in cities. The camper/vehicle fits in a shipping container.

I've never been to mainland Europe in my life. It's never interested me, too many people.

But now, future travel may be mainland Europe to Mongolia, but still avoiding cities.

Edited by Hopeful
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Have you watched The Revenant?

Stunning scenery.

Yes, seen the film. Don't feel it lived up to the hype.

I really like wild america, I've had some great travels there, but still so much more of it to explore. I really like the people in the remoter places too. Drivinga and car camping.

Covid19 is making me rethink all my ideas, however. I'll have new ideas.

3 hours ago, spunko said:

Couldn't agree more....we had the option of 27 countries to live in ....now 3.

Opps....mixing up two different fecken germs

Why so many programmes on TV about living abroad recently?......Brexit has shafted us up the arse and these programmes are saying....'Oh look...you could have lived here...but now you're marooned in a shit-hole'....because the cost of medical insurance is beyond your spending limit.

You had the choice of 27 countries....now 3

4 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Why so many programmes on TV about living abroad recently?......Brexit has shafted us up the arse and these programmes are saying....'Oh look...you could have lived here...but now you're marooned in a shit-hole'....because the cost of medical insurance is beyond your spending limit.

You had the choice of 27 countries....now 3

It works both ways.

Hopefully.

It's been good shake-up for me.  Lost my boat hire job,  but it was only part-time /seasonal, and most of what I made went on marina mooring fees.  Now I'm off the marina and cruising the canals again, and only 2k a year worse off.

At the same time, my trading has really come together, and I've had one of my best years yet percentage-wise, more than making up for the loss of the boat job.

I'm now looking into prop-trading firms for one where I can trade my style using their capital, but keeping half the profits ( but not the losses ) for myself. Interviewing with one next week.

Edited by MvR
1 hour ago, Libspero said:

Telegraph are running a story saying 250,000 over 50s won’t go back to work after Covid.    I think after all this working from home and taking time off,  plenty of people are eyeing up an early retirement now.

Why work till you drop?

I can believe those figures. I know a few over 50s who have soldiered on with medical conditions at work that are thinking of jacking it in now. That may present a few problems for some employers if they all walk at the same time.