DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What is anxiety?

It seems to be a bit of a catch-all like fibromyalgia, possibly a fake condition. I am sure some people genuinely have it, but I don't understand what it is. Can someone explain to my simple mind?

From researching on Google it looks like it's basically the fear of being judged. We all have that, to some extent, I cannot fathom being so preoccupied about what some random person thinks of you, to make it drastically affect your life. Or perhaps it's just about fear of the unknown and trying to control it.

It does seem to overwhelmingly affect women, whatever "it" is. Do any DOSBODers have it?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Indeed. I just got a present from my burd. Always wanted one. A granny shopping trolling. Why carry two heavy bags back home from the shops full of cans when you can roll it behind you.  Everyone

Having recently been made redundant, I now recognise the wisdom of the phrase "two out of three ain't bad"...   XYY

I have been thinking about this a bit more and my own experience of it. One of the worst things about a panic attack is trying to hide it. By that, I mean the internalized shame and stigma behind

Posted Images

I thought it was frequent panic attacks of greater or lesser degree.

I get them in a mild form when I have multiple things to do and start doing one, then changing for another, then back again or onto another one and start getting really flustered but I've learned to recognise it, stop for a moment to break out of it, and do the easiest thing first which instantly calms me because the first and hardest decision is made.  I'm talking trivial domestic stuff which really shouldn't throw me but it does; I find lists help greatly.

It's a complicated thing that for some people makes them overthink things and run away from danger, and avoid situations where it'they'll be scared. And symptoms can vary from heart racing, to not sleeping, and it'll push some people to depression if they can't manage it.

And it's over=complicated by the fact you can be anxious about lots of things, but not talking to complete strangers.

9 minutes ago, spunko said:

It does seem to overwhelmingly affect women, whatever "it" is.

well they do make appearance such a large part of who they are.

Superficial judgements just mean more to women.

Men beat that shit out of each other with remorseless ribbing from an early age as a result we don't take ourselves too seriously. 

1 minute ago, GBDamo said:

well they do make appearance such a large part of who they are.

Superficial judgements just mean more to women.

Men beat that shit out of each other with remorseless ribbing from an early age as a result we don't take ourselves too seriously. 

Men have testosterone. Women don't. Women's hormones can play awful mind games with them. 

I think anxiety would be alleviated by testosterone tablets. If you've got a bit of anger in you then nothing stops you. 

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

It's a complicated thing that for some people makes them overthink things and run away from danger, and avoid situations where it'they'll be scared. And symptoms can vary from heart racing, to not sleeping, and it'll push some people to depression if they can't manage it.

And it's over=complicated by the fact you can be anxious about lots of things, but not talking to complete strangers.

I believe everyone has this, though. It's part of human nature. Growing up I had a couple of panic attacks over things that now seem incredibly trivial.

Some people seem to define their life by it, which I don't understand. At the risk of sounding insensitive, the cure for anxiety is to not give a shit what other people think, no?

Just now, sarahbell said:

Men have testosterone. Women don't. Women's hormones can play awful mind games with them. 

I think anxiety would be alleviated by testosterone tablets. If you've got a bit of anger in you then nothing stops you. 

Its not anger though.

You used to hear it all the time, "that boy needs toughening up", "that'll make a man of him", "don't wrap him in cotton wool woman"

Men were brought up to be resilient and women to be sensitive and caring.

We were trained for out gender roles.

22 minutes ago, spunko said:

It seems to be a bit of a catch-all like fibromyalgia, possibly a fake condition. I am sure some people genuinely have it, but I don't understand what it is. Can someone explain to my simple mind?

From researching on Google it looks like it's basically the fear of being judged. We all have that, to some extent, I cannot fathom being so preoccupied about what some random person thinks of you, to make it drastically affect your life. Or perhaps it's just about fear of the unknown and trying to control it.

It does seem to overwhelmingly affect women, whatever "it" is. Do any DOSBODers have it?

Have you ever had a whitey after toking ,it`s like a mild version of that :D

6 minutes ago, spunko said:

I believe everyone has this, though. It's part of human nature. Growing up I had a couple of panic attacks over things that now seem incredibly trivial.

Some people seem to define their life by it, which I don't understand. At the risk of sounding insensitive, the cure for anxiety is to not give a shit what other people think, no?

a lot is what you think of yourself as well but nut giving a fuck is still good advice.

1 minute ago, GBDamo said:

a lot is what you think of yourself as well but nut giving a fuck is still good advice.

I'm not perfect, I clean obsessively quite a lot of the time, which is apparently some sort of anxiety/control thing and probably due to my childhood. Frankly I just like a clean home, it helps me relax.

But I can't understand ruining your life with arduous worry. I frankly couldn't give a toss what people think, and I don't really think too much about what I think of them. I live my life and they live theirs. A lot of these anxiety sorts are probably guilty of not having this kind of attitude, IMO.

14 minutes ago, spunko said:

At the risk of sounding insensitive, the cure for anxiety is to not give a shit what other people think, no?

Careful now. Someone I know got crucified for spouting dangerous shit like that!

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Anxiety's a complicated thing. I get it, but I wouldn't say I suffer with it. I read a few books on cognitive behavioural therapy and learned to manage it really well, all starting with the recognition that I'm feeling anxious, identifying the reason then just saying 'fuck it, does this really matter?'. But for me it all starts with the recognition that that is what's happening - emotion not reason taking over a situation.

49 minutes ago, spunko said:

We all have that, to some extent, I cannot fathom being so preoccupied about what some random person thinks of you

You make it sound so logical. If it were logical, you could just reason yourself out of it, and books on public speaking would just say 'the secret is to stop caring about what people might think of you and you'll do really well'

I'm sure the diagnosis is misused by compliant GPs with people swinging the lead, but being in a constant state of hyper-arousal, and hyper-vigilance must be debilitating.

Edited by Nippy
13 minutes ago, spunko said:

I'm not perfect, I clean obsessively quite a lot of the time, which is apparently some sort of anxiety/control thing and probably due to my childhood. Frankly I just like a clean home, it helps me relax.

But I can't understand ruining your life with arduous worry. I frankly couldn't give a toss what people think, and I don't really think too much about what I think of them. I live my life and they live theirs. A lot of these anxiety sorts are probably guilty of not having this kind of attitude, IMO.

I don't think that you can particularly choose to be one way or the other but as with a lot of mental conditions you can train yourself to reduce them.

As to the different types I drive at my own pace which can mean people being close up behind me; I don't flash my brakes or slow dramatically but I do edge off slightly for safety; and where there is an opportunity for them to overtake I let them rather than speeding up.  They don't bother me in the slightest and I don't try to play games with them or get angry or stressed.  

On the other hand if my ex, who drove / drives faster than me, had somebody close up behind her where there was little opportunity to overtake it would really stress her out and she would be looking for somewhere to pull over to let them go past.  

I don't try not to be bothered by having somebody right behind me any more than she tried to stress herself out about it.  Different personality types.

1 minute ago, Nippy said:

You make it sound so logical. If it were logical, you could just reason yourself out of it, and books on public speaking would just say 'the secret is to stop caring about what people might think of you and you'll do really well'

I'm sure the diagnosis is misused by compliant GPs with people swinging the lead, but being in a constant state of hyper-arousal, and hyper-vigilance must be debilitating.

As it happens I was a much better public speaker when I was nervous about doing it; it gave me an edge.

After doing multiple sales presentations standing up in front of strangers and speaking became routine and I wasn't as good because I was too relaxed. 

4 minutes ago, Nippy said:

That, I suppose, is the entire biological purpose of anxiety. But it's not pleasant.

I assume you get a quick dose of adrenaline. 

Nature's reason for this is fairly obvious. Fight or flight.